PDA

View Full Version : Water in Fuel?

oldjoe
27-02-2013, 11:39 AM
Finally got the boat out for the first time this year, motor (Yammie 70 2stroke) started and ran ok for about 5 minutes then started to lose power and eventually stalled.
Started it again and it ran ok at low revs/low speed, after about 5 minutes it would power up to 4000 ok then die again.
Boat has been stored outside this year and copped a fair bit of weather.
I think it is water in the fuel??? I would appreciate suggestions on the the best way to deal with this.

Noelm
27-02-2013, 11:44 AM
first off, hook up a complete remote tank and hose with fresh fuel, (and oil, if it is a premix) that will eliminate a host of things in one go.

oldjoe
27-02-2013, 11:51 AM
Thanks mate, that makes sense, obviously, I have had stuff all experience with trouble shooting motor issues.

Noelm
27-02-2013, 11:58 AM
that's fine, but do the very easy things first, do NOT start pulling things to bits yet!

oldjoe
27-02-2013, 12:03 PM
Thanks mate, I won't be pulling bits apart....I am hoping for a simple solution to suit my simple mind :)
I'll let you know how I go.

Still_Dreamin
27-02-2013, 12:25 PM
Was the vent open on your fuel tank? Sounds like it is getting starved of fuel.(assuming it is not an under floor tank)

oldjoe
27-02-2013, 01:15 PM
Yes, breather vent was open (portable 25 litre plastic tank), I did have it closed during all the bad weather and when the boat is stored.
I'll try the new tank and fuel line I have, (it was pending install as a back up tank this week anyway)

billfisher
27-02-2013, 04:20 PM
Unless you got bad fuel at the servo, it is unlikely you would get water in the fuel in a closed portable tank.

If there is water in the fuel, then switching to clean fuel may not fix the problem if water has gotten into your carbies. I'd drain some fuel (by way of the fuel hose) into an ice cream container. If there is water you will see a separate phase on the bottom.

Crunchy
27-02-2013, 05:05 PM
Checked or replaced your plugs lately? Can cause similar symptoms....

Jeremy
27-02-2013, 05:52 PM
Off topic tip - I reckon regular starting and running is part of regular maintenaince if you are not using it regularly. That's almost (or more than?) 2 months since you last started it. Regular starting helps keep the OB lubed up inside, turning the wheel helps prevent the steering from seizing, helps keep the battery charged. Saves alot of money in the long run.

tassjo
27-02-2013, 06:32 PM
hi, before we all go of in the wrong direction how about getting the fuel tank and empting it into a container / bucket .you will be able to see the water if any

cormorant
27-02-2013, 07:26 PM
Check your fuel filter if it has one under the cowl or if you are running a extenal one.

Guys above are right. Do all the idiot tests and don't pull stuff apart. Try it with a fresh fuel hose and primer bulb or check yours is working properly and on the right way ( arrow on it) . . Check your primer bulb as the internals can seize up.
If the carby has a drain screw loosen it and pump the primer bulb to flush them out. Collect the fuel if there is room and check it for bits of varnish, water or whatever.
Check the connections of fuel lines are tight and not letting in air.

Check the plug leads are on firmly.

With the cowl off check your throttle cable connection is moving when you are moving the hand binnacle.

When you say it dies. Do you mean it just idles down and then stops or does it run like a busted gut , shudder and then stop?

Was it running really rich - ie too much fuel? Was there more smoke and fuel smell from teh exhaust and even a slick on teh water?

I ask the above as when the impulse fuel pump goes they run rich or airate the fuel and have symptoms like above . Same symptoms without the fuel smell for a fuel restriction..

If you fuel pump hasn't ben done every 7 years it is a easy one to add to a service so you don't get stranded.

Spin
27-02-2013, 08:17 PM
Check the fuel line bulb dose it pump up nice and hard
and still work as it should
That would be the first thing to fail ?
Most of the ones they make these days are rubbish.
what he said Cormorant
Try it with a fresh fuel hose and primer bulb

oldjoe
28-02-2013, 05:29 PM
Thanks All
Fuel line and bulb are on the right way and are fairly new, I run the motor every week with the ear muffs on and at idle and with a bit of revs with choke, it runs fine, I don't think I can really give it planing revs at 4000 with the muffs on?
The tank is old so maybe the breather isn't closing properly and got water in...there has be a lot around lately and the boat was out in the weather with out a cover.
I will go simple first as per advice...have the day off tomorrow so will rig up new tank and line and take it for a blast.
Is there any additives that you can add that would get fuel out of the carbies...I'm not that confident working on carbies myself...if not, I'll get a mate over on Saturday who is more mechanically minded than I.

oldjoe
28-02-2013, 05:33 PM
Plugs where replaced about 4/5 engine hours ago and look fine....I am capable of checking them :)

cormorant
02-03-2013, 01:58 AM
Once the fuel is out of the old tote tank put in a cup of metho and wash it our with that if there was water in the fuel. Metho will absorb any water and then tip it out.

Nothing bar draining the carby bowls gets any water, sludge etc out of them and flushing them with fresh fuel.
My list of stupid ones also includes a kinked fuel line, bad connector and the lining on the inside of the fuel hose degrading and clogging up everything and of course bad fuel to start with. .

oldjoe
05-03-2013, 01:58 PM
Well, I didn't get to take my boat for a blast...and haven't checked tank for water yet. I got an invite on a mates boat up at the northen end of the pumicestone passage...wow what a great piece of water (Golden Bch to Couchin Crk).
Shame it bucketed down, swarmed mozzies, too much fresh for quality fish, spent 5 hours out in it anyway and had a ball, although we nearly flattened the battery with the bilge pump getting rid of rain water ;)
Will give it a go this week

Justin Rossiter
08-03-2013, 12:29 PM
Had a similar problem not long back, turned out to be the fuel tank, agree that the easiest way to solve the problem was get a different tank and fuel line including bulb and connect it up.

J

uripper
08-03-2013, 02:43 PM
Without wishing to cause unnecessary concern, firstly confirm that you have water in the fuel either by emptying the tank you are using, the fuel filter, and if you can also the carburettors. If there is any sign of water (or suspicion thereof) .... your engine could already be developing a terminal problem, ..... if so then respectfully suggest get it to a reputable service workshop ASAP.. PM me if you would like a recommendation.

A few years ago I had a two-stroke 70 HP Yamaha (great engine by the way) that through my own stupid fault, swallowed a lot of water from the fuel tank. I emptied and cleaned the system and thinking it was okay without taking it to a workshop. A few months later one of the crankshaft bearings collapsed. The autopsy revealed that water had actually made its way from the fuel system into the inner workings of the engine (that inner bit where the oil, valves, pistons and thingys reside ... I am obviously not a mechanic) .... Resulting in the ever so slight corrosion of the main bearings = one dead motor :-((

Hope you have a better outcome. Cheers, Mal

PS; fuel filters with a clear bulb on the bottom are excellent early warning detectors of water-fuel problems - would not go boating without one now

billfisher
08-03-2013, 05:15 PM
Without wishing to cause unnecessary concern, firstly confirm that you have water in the fuel either by emptying the tank you are using, the fuel filter, and if you can also the carburettors. If there is any sign of water (or suspicion thereof) .... your engine could already be developing a terminal problem, ..... if so then respectfully suggest get it to a reputable service workshop ASAP.. PM me if you would like a recommendation.

A few years ago I had a two-stroke 70 HP Yamaha (great engine by the way) that through my own stupid fault, swallowed a lot of water from the fuel tank. I emptied and cleaned the system and thinking it was okay without taking it to a workshop. A few months later one of the crankshaft bearings collapsed. The autopsy revealed that water had actually made its way from the fuel system into the inner workings of the engine (that inner bit where the oil, valves, pistons and thingys reside ... I am obviously not a mechanic) .... Resulting in the ever so slight corrosion of the main bearings = one dead motor :-((

Hope you have a better outcome. Cheers, Mal

PS; fuel filters with a clear bulb on the bottom are excellent early warning detectors of water-fuel problems - would not go boating without one now

I didn't think it was possible for water to get past the carbies - that's what my mechnic told me. Also I have had motors ingest water from fuel many times and never had any terminal problems.

oldjoe
02-04-2013, 01:28 PM
Thanks all for your advise...again.
I finally got a chance to test the motor under load on the water...as it ran fine at low revs with the ear muffs on.
Started simple as per advice. I already had a new tank and fuel line in possession (purchsed as a back up tank).
New tank, fuel and line in place .....no worries, runs like a charm, actually started and ran better than it has in ages.
I then hooked the new line up to the old tank...no worries, ran like a charm. I tried the old line on the new tank and it died in the arse once under load.
My kind mate who came with me for a potentially dull day ginning around with a dodgy outboard and supplier of an auxilary 9hp reckons the old line was allowing air in once the motor got under load, suspected dodgy O ring...makes sense to me.
So the moral of the story....start simple and potentially save yourself lots of bucks. BTW-thd ols line was only 6 months old, there is definitely some crap for sale out there so, as the romans used to say "Caveat Emptor"