PDA

View Full Version : XANTREX TRUECHARGE2 40 Amp

timeout
26-02-2013, 06:54 PM
Hi
does anyone here use or know about these chargers?
XANTREX TRUECHARGE2 40 Amp 12v Marine Boat 3 BANK BATTERY CHARGER.
I am thinking of fitting one with the control panel and temp reader , if you don't like them thats ok let me know why please.I currently use a ctek 7000 but am sick of climbing down the engine bay to fit and swap over have 2 exchanged on warranty and have lost faith in them.[warranty is awesome though]
The whole set up from the states is around $500 AUD.
Thanks Dave

tenzing
26-02-2013, 07:26 PM
Hi Dave
I have had a Xantrex True charge 2 20A for a number of years and It is great.
I plug the boat in when I put it to bed and never think about it again.
Pete( Grand Marlin) sorted it for me at the time.
I have a 700(odd) cca cranker and a Deep cycle house battery. I have replaced the start battery as a matter of course, no prob with battery at about 4-5 years, but the deep cycle is nearly 6 years old and going gangbusters.

As far as the remote control panel, I have one installed in the cabin, but only because the display on the original unit was damaged by a salt water drip, and this was an easy way to have display back.
You dont need to see what stage it is up to at all, and I would not get the remote panel . ( If you are desparate , get in the boat and have a look, you wont do it many times)

You can set the average operating temp, battery type and max charge level on the display, but then dont really need to touch it again. It has a diagnostic circuit and will display if there is a problem.
I have only 2 batteries but the spare capacity is not an issue. I am not sure that 40A will give you an advantage.

They are a pricey unit , but reliable and are truly set and forget.
If the pricetag is not an issue then I certainly recommend them.
Cheers
Brendan

timeout
28-02-2013, 11:06 PM
Thanks Brendan. ;-)