PDA

View Full Version : Can you increase HP rating on a hull

Corry
25-02-2013, 09:16 AM
Been looking at a 4S for our Quinny Top Ender, the manufacturers sticker says max HP of 90, the new 510 Top Ender is 100HP, is there a way to increase the rating of a hull, I'd love to be able to look at a 100HP 4S instead of the 90's.
Am I wasting time here, how much difference is there between a 90 and a 100hp outboard, other than the 10hp of course.

Cheers
Corry

PS... any recommendations on which 4S to go for, I'll do a bit more homework and may start another thread.

patrol50
25-02-2013, 11:26 AM
Been looking at a 4S for our Quinny Top Ender, the manufacturers sticker says max HP of 90, the new 510 Top Ender is 100HP, is there a way to increase the rating of a hull, I'd love to be able to look at a 100HP 4S instead of the 90's.
Am I wasting time here, how much difference is there between a 90 and a 100hp outboard, other than the 10hp of course.

Cheers
Corry

PS... any recommendations on which 4S to go for, I'll do a bit more homework and may start another thread.

yep i did sort of look at this at one stage and a marine surveyor should be able to do it for you if the boat measures up ok and they can supply a new plate - fee any where from $300 to 500 or you could maybe talk to quintrex about a new plate and they may do it, but probabaly not

if budget not a problem re a new 4 S 100 either suzuki 189 kg or yamaha 172 kg both good IMHO if 90 HP Honda 163 kg , Susuki 155 kg then Merc 181 kg - dry wts are approx

fandtm666
25-02-2013, 11:42 AM
as mentioned above a marine surveyor is the go , i used nick lockyer on the goldcoast.

The other thing is i noticed you mentioned looking at the 4 strokes , you do realise
that the rating for you boat not only takes into account the HP but the weight
of the motor.Prime example is my boat is rated at 125Hp but only 175kg max
so going 4 stroke would limit me to a max of 80hp yammy at 173kg
where as a 115 2 stroke 115hp is 169kg

Corry
25-02-2013, 12:30 PM
Cheers for the leads, how do you find out the weight rating for the outboard? The Telwater sticker doesn't mention it.

I'll have a look around and see if I can find a Marine Surveyor in the Mackay region. And start doing some research on 4 Strokes.

Cheers
Corry

patrol50
25-02-2013, 12:37 PM
its on your boats published specifcation listing for that model for that year - quintrex would have a copy of that but try - type in your boats type in its year type in specifcations and it may come up on the net in a pdf form from back at that date - a lot do
cheers
PS
from an old quin catelogue i have
2006 quin top ender 510 - max transom wt 200 kg ,max hp 100 hp
i guess yours is an older model

Moonlighter
25-02-2013, 06:15 PM
Have a look at the Suzuki 90A 4 stroke. Compare its weight to either the 100 Suzuki or the 100 Yammy 4 strokes. Do the sums on price and hp/kg of the package.

Based on a long shaft:

90A Suzuki = 155kg
100A Suzuki = 182kg
Yammy F100D = 170kg

I reckon the Suzuki 90 would be a great balance on that hull. The savings on weight and price compared to either of the 100hp alternatives would make it a fairly attractive option, especially if you add the extra costs for re-rating the hull to 100 into that equation.

Corry
26-02-2013, 04:58 PM
Patrol50, yeah it's a 2002 model I think, I can't remember when we bought it, I'll have to look for the receipts again.

Moonlighter, there's a bit of research I wanna do with the 4S, but from what you've shown and the searching I've done on the net, the Suzy is looking good. I know when we bought the 30 4S, the Merc come up trumps with weight, I'll do the same comparisons, then look at where we go for the purchase, I dare say Mackay isn't going to be the place.

Cheers
Corry

Seahorse
26-02-2013, 06:22 PM
Mate good luck.
I tried to get a seajay rerated from max 50 to a lighter 70. The answer was a definate no.
They would rerate to a 60 forward steer from a tiller if i bought their console and ad it fitted by thir supplier.
All bullshit mate, just do it yourself

Moonlighter
26-02-2013, 08:07 PM
Corry, if your research concludes with the Zuke 90 winning, and Mackay doesnt work, id give a big thumbs up to my local Suzuki man Jon Eadie at Bayside Suzuki marine at Cleveland.

http://www.baysidesuzukimarine.com/

In fact your timing might be quite good, the Tinny and Tackle show is on down here from 15 to 17 March, and the normal thing for Suzuki is to do at shows is a free upgrade to digital gauges (two Garmin GMI-10's, a GPS antenna plus engine interface) which is a very nice package to get with a new Zuke.

Im sure Jon will be there on the Suzuki stand most of the weekend.

http://www.tinnie-tackle.com.au/

Fed
27-02-2013, 06:24 AM
The motor weight is on the sticker hidden in the Maximum Load Capacity.
Weigh the rig without the trailer (copied from another website, example not my boat).

You can weigh the boat with a regular household scale using simple math and physics.

1. First put the scale under the tongue with the boat pulled all the way up on the trailer. For me the scale read 150lbs so W1=150

2. scoot the boat back on the trailer EXACTLY 10" so 10=X

3. reweight the tongue. For me it was 100lbs so W2=100

4. measure the distance in inches from the axle to the tip of the tongue. For me it was 180". so 180=C

5. Plug all 4 of your numbers into the equation. C(W1-W2)/X

Mine looked like this... 180(150-100)/10

6. do the equation
a. first you subtract 100 from 150 which = 50
b. then you multiply 50 by 180 which= 9000
c. finally you divide 9000 by 10 which = 900

So my boat weighs 900 lbs. It will only take you about 5-10 minutes to do.
If the motor you want is too heavy chuck some crew off.

juggernaut
27-02-2013, 09:44 AM
The motor weight is on the sticker hidden in the Maximum Load Capacity.
Weigh the rig without the trailer.

If the motor you want is too heavy chuck some crew off.

Doesn't the motor also have to comply with the max transom weight rating as well though....which is going to be exceeded before the maximum load capacity is exceeded?

Don't know if I would assume there is no transom rating just because its not mentioned on the placard - happy to stand corrected though.

Fed
27-02-2013, 10:27 AM
I don't know for sure juggernaut just going on what I 'think' the sticker says.
It's a little hard to read, you'd think the bastards would have put it on straight LOL.

fandtm666
27-02-2013, 10:46 AM
the build plates usually have them some where similar details to this one

juggernaut
27-02-2013, 11:01 AM
I don't know for sure juggernaut just going on what I 'think' the sticker says.
It's a little hard to read, you'd think the bastards would have put it on straight LOL.

I have a Quintrex too and my placard is faded to buggery.....I knew it could carry 5 people but didn't know the average weight had to be 75kg's until I saw the placard in this thread - what self respecting boatie or his mates are 75kgs or less!!;D

Clearly these weights are coming from the Heart Foundation. 8-)

Moonlighter
27-02-2013, 12:24 PM
Guys, there is often some confusion about the "Plates" attached to boats.

There are typically 2 kinds of plates, and most boats will have one, or possibly both of them.

In most states, as from September 2006, all NEW boats sold in Australia, whether built here or imported, have to have an Australian Builders Plate (ABP) attached to them, and it must include certain minimum items of information.

SA it became compulsory in 2008, and Tassie in 2009.

It is usually an offence to sell in Australia a new boat that was built or imported after those dates unless they have an ABP attached. The builder or importer is responsible for this plate being attached and having correct info on it.

See here for more details: http://www.nmsc.gov.au/recreational_boating/index.php?MID=24&CID=24

The example posted earlier by fandtm666 shows a genuine Australian Builders plate! There are slightly different requirements for info on these ABP's for boats below and above 6m length.

You can typically pick an Australian Builders Plate from a manufacturers plate quite simply: it has the words "Australian Builders Plate" printed conspicuously on the top of it! Doh!

Many manufacturers also attach their own manufacturers or builders plate to their boats. Have done for many years. But there was no set "standard" for the info included on those older ones that i am aware of. Thats one of the reasons the ABP came about.

To add to the confusion, there can be quite a replication of the same info on the manufacturers plate as is on the ABP.

A manufacturers plate, even if it has the same info on it as an ABP, does not qualify as an ABP because it does not have the words Australian Builders Plate on it. bizarre, but true.

In the context of the question posed by the OP, the ABP must state the max hp or kw and the max engine weight on the transom.

The old manufacturers plates often stated max hp, but rarely stated max weight until recent years. Often, it stated max recommended hp. That of course is different from the actual max hp stated by others and which applies to the ABP.

You will definitely get into big trouble with the LAW and your insurance company if you exceed max hp as stated on your ABP. It is black and white.

If you exceed max recommended hp on a boat with a manufacturers plate but without an ABP, then you will most likely be in strife with your insurance company, and probably with the Law as well. But it is less clear. Shades of grey. In the event of an accident that causes someone injury, YOU might have to prove that the excess hp was not a contributing factor. Onus of proof is now on you, not the manufacturer. Risky.

Hope that explanation helps.

gofishin
27-02-2013, 12:59 PM
...yeah it's a 2002 model I think.... Corry, what are the last 3 digits on your HIN number? (This part is blotted out on the photo). This will tell you the model year and mfg year of your boat.

Corry
28-02-2013, 09:22 AM
Ahhhuh, 101... so it I take it it is 2001, thought is was around then.

Corry

gofishin
28-02-2013, 10:09 AM
Yes that's correct. FYI, the first digit (1) is a single digit representation of the manufacturing year. In your case it was built in 2001.

The last two digits (01) is a two digit representation of the model year. In your case it was a 2001 model.

Why the distinction you ask? Some manufacturers (epically US) release their new models about half way through the year, i.e. if this was the case with your boat, around June/July your HIN may have been ‘……102’. PS. If you want to know when in the year your boat was built (or maybe batched for manufacture), the alpha character in front of the ‘101’ represents the month. With this HIN character, the first 12 letters of the alphabet are used to designate the month. A = Jan, F = June etc

Corry
03-03-2013, 02:53 PM
Sweet, good to know how it all works.

Corry