PDA

View Full Version : Running a 2 Stroke out of oil - Whats the consequences

Corry
24-02-2013, 06:28 PM
Run our 75 Merc out of oil today, in the commotion of getting going this morning, filled the boat with fuel, but forgot to fill the oil resevoir on the outboard. When it run out of oil, the motor stopped. Didn't sieze, could still be turned over, and I realised straight away, so we sat in the river for an hour waiting for help.
Does anyone know the consequences of this? It's a 2001 Merc. The shutdown was like it had been turned off, not a sudden stop like a sieze.

Cheers
Corry

oldie
24-02-2013, 06:52 PM
did it not have a low oil alarm? i'd do a compression test to check all is well, a motor will still turn over if the piston is scored etc the compression test will help you find out if any damage has been done

FishHunter
24-02-2013, 07:31 PM
Start looking for a new engine or price a rebuild. Had lots of 2 stroke bikes do that from lack of oil and its toasted pistons, ring and liners every single time

Spaniard_King
24-02-2013, 09:05 PM
Get a compression check and make decisions from there

bluefin59
25-02-2013, 04:30 AM
Many years ago I had a ski boat with a 140 suzi on it that was let run out of oil and it just about welded the Conrod bearings to the crankshaft on the bottom cylinder and just destroyed the motor in the end . It was a very ugly situation for us but I guess you maybe lucky somehow ,also compression test of this motor at the time revealed nothing but once it was pulled down at the insistence of our suzi mechanic all was revealed ,lots of luck with your situation but I would be taking straight to a expert for a look over you wouldn't want a rod coming apart half way to Morton ....Matt

WalrusLike
25-02-2013, 06:16 AM
Aren't there 2 oil bottles? The small one on the motor itself should have a low oil sensor shouldn't it?

If it does then the shutdown happens before the motor is run without oil. So that would mean no damage at all.

Spaniard King is the expert and I would always follow his advice...

I just piped up to give you hope... I know next to nothing about motors, the above are just my guesses.

(Using Tapatalk on iPhone so can't easily 'thank' or 'like'.)

Noelm
25-02-2013, 07:01 AM
I guess a very simple "check" that can be done with almost no effort, is.. remove the spark plugs and have a good look at them, do they look "cooked"? or are they normal looking? get a torch and have a look through the plug hole at the top of the pistons, are they burnt/cooked? after that, a compression test will at least give you a clue, not too sure the motor would just stop from lack of oil "usually" there will be some noise associated before it seizes.

oldie
25-02-2013, 08:11 AM
your yamaha has the seperate bottle but the merc has an internal bottle only

Corry
25-02-2013, 09:07 AM
I'll get a compression check done when back in Mackay. It definately sounded like an electrical shut off, rather then mechanical. After filling with oil, it run for a minute and shut off again, then I fired up straight away and it run normal for the 30klm trip back. Wasn't lacking any power or making any noises at all.
Woud've thought that if istopped by the lack of oil and not a 'safety' shutoff, then it would show symptoms of seizing i.e stopping suddenly, not being able to rotate straight away, am I wrong to think this.
We're in the process of looking for a 4S for it, might bring those plans forward a bit. Got a few Q's on that, will start another thread for that.

Cheers
Corry