PDA

View Full Version : Small Fourstroke Outboard Question

Argle
24-02-2013, 04:17 PM
G'day guys (and girls my wife is looking over my shoulder), I am looking at a 2000 odd year model 5hp four stroke Evinrude for use on a tinny for the kids. My question is can these or any other model small four strokes be transported laying down? I would need it to be possible in order to transport the motor in the car and also the big boat when going camping.
I know two strokes can do it but would prefer a four stroke - anyone have any experience with this?
Appreciate any help you may be able to offer
Cheers
Scott

CT
24-02-2013, 04:29 PM
My Honda 8 can be transported lying down, however you can only lie it down on one side so the oil stays in the crankcase. Even has has moulded lugs on the top of the leg so it sits on them and doesn't ding up the cowl.

Cheers
Craig

Argle
24-02-2013, 05:19 PM
Cheers Craig, I have seen a Honda 5 for sale too so that could be worth a look too.

gazza2006au
24-02-2013, 08:15 PM
yeah u can lay them down as mentioned look up the owners manual for the model your interested in buying and it will tell u which side to lay the engine on

Noelm
25-02-2013, 08:48 AM
did Evinrude make a 5HP 4 stroke in 2000? small motors seem to have got cheaper these days, I was in my local dealer the other day and noticed a new 5HP 4 stroke for $1,800.

Argle
25-02-2013, 09:30 AM
did Evinrude make a 5HP 4 stroke in 2000? small motors seem to have got cheaper these days, I was in my local dealer the other day and noticed a new 5HP 4 stroke for $1,800.

Yeah this one looks to be pretty good too - just curious about the laying down part.

myusernam
25-02-2013, 10:21 AM
G'day guys (and girls my wife is looking over my shoulder), I am looking at a 2000 odd year model 5hp four stroke Evinrude for use on a tinny for the kids. My question is can these or any other model small four strokes be transported laying down? I would need it to be possible in order to transport the motor in the car and also the big boat when going camping.
I know two strokes can do it but would prefer a four stroke - anyone have any experience with this?
Appreciate any help you may be able to offer
Cheers
Scott

small four strokes are useless IMHO. 2strokes are lighter, have better power to weight, need hardly any servicing, can be submerged and got going easily, still use bugger all fuel in that hp class, fourstrokes use just as much fuel at wot which you will normally be using in that hp class. get a 2stroke for half the price. never look back

Spaniard_King
25-02-2013, 12:02 PM
small four strokes are useless IMHO. 2strokes are lighter, have better power to weight, need hardly any servicing, can be submerged and got going easily, still use bugger all fuel in that hp class, fourstrokes use just as much fuel at wot which you will normally be using in that hp class. get a 2stroke for half the price. never look back

There are several major advantages over 2 strokes. They will use significantly less fuel!!! Half the fuel in a 2 stroke goes out the exhaust port so how can a 4 stroke use the same.

They are quieter and more family friendly.

The only difference between a sunken 2 and 4 stroke is you will need to change the engine oil if the engine is submerged (how often is this going to happen)

If you buy new (honda/suzuki) you will get a 5 year warranty

As far as lying one down, all 4 strokes need to have the carby kept on the upper most side when lying them down! As stated above some have indicating lugs for this.

fish50
25-02-2013, 12:59 PM
I second that small 4 strokes are not worth the extra cost, I sold a small 4 stroke and replaced it with a 2 stroke, much better to use, so much easier to start too.

Argle
25-02-2013, 01:25 PM
Thanks guys, I would like to go four stroke if possible - means not having to worry about mixing oil - weight not that big an issue and a lot of usage would not be at wot (kids).

Appreciate all the feedback

Cheers
Scott

cormorant
25-02-2013, 02:14 PM
Also note there is a difference to lying down to having in a 4wd going up and down gunshot. Lying down and then being on a 30 degree angle won't be good for some , may leak ,so always stand em upright check the oil level.

So much depends on use and how long you are keeping it.

2st or 4 st In small motors I don't mind 2 strokes if they are propped correctly and fuel use on small hours is not a great extra expense . A 2 stroke propped correctly and doing long planing runs at mid throttle is pretty effecient and will have no issues with carboning up or fouling plugs etc and you can put em on any angle you like in a vehicle. A fourstroke may have a larger dimension cowl , be heavier and have a different balance point ( think about carrying it down a riverbank). They don't care about being lugged as much as a 2 stroke and less long term damage to them so if you don't quite have the right prop or are overloaded as long as you do more frequent oil changes it won't kill it as quick as a 2 stroke. Again a slightly underpropped motor and not revving the ring of them getting the last km of speed will give them a long life. A boat overloaded witha 4 stroke on it in that size will be a underwheling ride. Trolling in a small 4 stroke is a pleasure with low noise and no smoke but still a little fume when wind is right behind you.

Both 2 strokes and 4 strokes are in need of decent non restrictive fuel filters and kept clean as the jets in them and galleries in the carbys are getting tiny to get the fuel comsumption down with less fuel and better atomisation for enviro rules. Bad fuel , varnish and running a 2 stroke lean or without correct oil mix will kill it but for a 4 stroke bad fuel or some varnish in the carby will just make it run bad. Not doing frequent oil changes and checking the oil level in a 4 stroke can kill it fast and a failure in drivetrain to valves leaves you stranded and with a overlap motor a bent valvetrain = writeoff..

If it is in the car you will probably put a cowl cover on it so it doesn't get beaten up / scratched and a good one ( get a yacht sail maker or wife ) with a bit of insulation will bring the noise level down a lot in a 2 stroke at low speed.

Think about inbuilt or remote tanks if storing in a vehicle. Inbuilt are fine except in big temp changes and you don't want any fuel vapour in a vehicle let alone spills so keep em empty and carby drained is my way. It takes 2 minutes to do and 2 minutes to prime next time.

CT
25-02-2013, 08:08 PM
We have done an absolute shipload of barra trolling with ours over the years. There is no way I would have put up with the noise and smell of a 2-stroke for doing this. My fourstroke consistently outfished my mates 2-strokes when barra trolling. Even the crocs would hang around much longer when punting past with the honda vs the jonno.

Its not like I'm a 2-stroke hater either. The big boat's got a Ficht hanging off it and I think its fabulous. It will never have anything other than a DI 2-stroke based on weight alone.

Pick the right tool for the job that you want to do.

Cheers
Craig