PDA

View Full Version : Haines Hunter 635L - repower

Pazz01
24-02-2013, 03:28 PM
Hey Guys

We have had the abovementioned boat for a few years and after doing a refurbish of the inside and outside we think it's time for a new donk on the back. We are currently running a 1996 200 hp Mercury Offshore. It's done about 600 hours, and after a few heating problems initially, and the oil pickup packing it in a few years back its been a pretty good engine with fantastic fuel economy for a 2 stroke (yesterday we travelled round trip 80km for 90L).

We like the thought of a 4 stroke (yamaha, suzuki, verado and honda) but we are concerned about the extra weight of a 4 stroke over the 2 stroke (optimax and etec). I have seen a few new posts that yamaha has bought out a new 4 stroke 200 but I've heard its only a 4 cyclinder block which we are not real keen on.

Has anyone got any suggestions of what would be a good match for this boat?

I'd be extremely keen to talk to an owner of a 635L that has gone down the same path to discuss fuel useage, propping weight etc.

Cheers
Pazz

24-02-2013, 04:25 PM
if you're happy with a counter rotating model australian marine centre has a 225 etec at a very reasonable price i just bought a 175 and i am very happy with the price. etec wouldnt have been my first choice but the price was right i can only hope that they have ironed out any of the earlier issues that they had.

CT
24-02-2013, 04:33 PM
Personally I would stick with DI 2 stroke on older boats simply due to the weight issues. I found it a lot easier to get close to the weight of the original engine by doing this. In my case, all the 4 strokes were substantially heavier.

Cheers
Craig

Jarrah Jack
24-02-2013, 06:42 PM
It makes me wonder how boats like the Edencraft offshore which is a 19R HH with a half pod can carry heavy 4 strokes like Spaniard Kings with a 225 Honda. The Coutacraft Gunshot which is a 17L also with a half pod can also carry heavy motors. The pods on both boats aren't full width so the added bouyancy of the pod is negated by the fact that the motor is sitting further out.

Having a 25 inch transom also helps but I still wonder about it. Perhaps better weight distribution also helps with added strength and weight in the right places.

frankgrimes
24-02-2013, 06:58 PM
It makes me wonder how boats like the Edencraft offshore which is a 19R HH with a half pod can carry heavy 4 strokes like Spaniard Kings with a 225 Honda.

Garry's got the new Honda 250 on his now...apparently goes ok ;)

Darren Mc
24-02-2013, 07:17 PM
Hey the 200 hp yamaha v-max is 218kg's and i've been told they are an excellant motor, provided they are run in precisely and by the book. This point was made with the utmost importance when talking to a yamaha dealer.
I've also read very positive things about the new 4 cyl 200hp 4 stroke, economy wise and power wise. This option would be the lightest in the four strokes at 227 kg's.(i think)

goodluck with your choice.

copie
24-02-2013, 09:11 PM
Well I have sold a haines signature 630 that had 150hp 4 stoke honda and have to say the combination was great. Exelent economy sufficent power and speed WOT 37knts but just so much quieter at idle and running. My suggestion would to speak to Jon Eddie at cleveland re Suzuki or Garry on the gold coast re Honda.

Mark

Fishing Nut
25-02-2013, 11:30 AM
I have a 250 Suzuki on mine. No substutite for HP. I get 1.1 to 1.4 KLM per litre. Brilliant.

myusernam
25-02-2013, 02:49 PM
if you put a pod on at the same time it will give you more bouyancy than the weight you are adding

Pazz01
25-02-2013, 04:51 PM
Hey everyone,

Thanks for the posts and PM's. It's a tough decision with plenty of good engines out there. As we have already done the transom and spend a bit on the side for around the engine well, we not that keen on putting a pod on at this stage. The old fella with most of the money has the final say and he is worried about how a pod will change the performance of the hull. Putting a pod on would add an extra 5-10k on the purchase of a new outboard too I'd imagine.

But please keep them coming, happy to take all advice.

Pazz

Ripples
25-02-2013, 08:31 PM
Hi Pazz01
I had a full width pod installed to a Haines 213 c for $1600.00 and then Gary installed the 225 Honda
Great boat with no problem with the extra weight of the 4stroke due to the extra flotation of the pod with added benefit of longer water line length and a better ride.
Ripples

Giveway
26-02-2013, 12:35 PM
Go and see the guys at Wynnum Marine because they have one of the new Yamaha 200hp motors strapped to the back of a demo boat. They can give you some actual feedback.

Camhawk88
27-02-2013, 10:56 AM
IF you liked the old Merc I would go an Opti.