PDA

View Full Version : What type of fish is this ??

Paul H
23-02-2013, 08:07 AM
Guys, as you can tell from the question, whilst not entirely new to fishing my experience is limited to the usual Qld beach suspects.

This was picked up and released of the rocks at Raby Bay last night around dusk. The picture does not show the red and pink coloring that well.

Whilst only small it put up a great fight on my 2-4kg - 6'6'' repela spinning rod. Was caught on a soft plastic black and gold minow. Just discovering soft plastics and braid what fun! and yes i know it was a long coma.

Anyway had a look at the pictures in an old AFN fishing book but couldn't see anything that gave me a clue.

Also are these fish standard catch for around Raby Bay?

Cheers in advance. Paul

Captain Seaweed
23-02-2013, 08:08 AM
thats a squire mate silver/pink with blue/green spots

Paul H
23-02-2013, 08:31 AM
Brilliant, thanks. Are they a standard land based catch around the Bay?

tunaticer
23-02-2013, 09:19 AM
Less common land based but a very common catch 30 metres offshore of any rocky shoreline. Redcliffe has a healthy supply of them too.

Sheik
23-02-2013, 09:50 AM
As TT says, a squire. Squire is a local name for a juvenile snapper. there are some people who want us to call them snapper but they can naff off. same way i wont call a fingermark a golden snapper or a blackall anything else or a trumpeter a grunter. just set in me ways and sounding like a grumpy old bugger.
def a squire though. lovely little fish but "let im go and let im grow".

Paul H
23-02-2013, 09:56 AM
Sheik, Growing as we speak, thanks