PDA

View Full Version : Priming a oil system on a 75 ETEC

gav73
20-02-2013, 07:27 PM
I have a mate with a 75 ETEC and we are wondering how to prime the oil system. Has any one done this .
Thanks Gav

STUIE63
20-02-2013, 07:33 PM
I had a split oil tank my local dealer printed a form of what to do. If I remember right it was just the winterisation procedure. It was very easy to do but I threw the bit bit of paper out when I finished

Spaniard_King
20-02-2013, 09:07 PM
yep take it to an Etec dealer and get him to hook up thhe laptop and run the oil pump until it primes the system correctly

STUIE63
20-02-2013, 09:59 PM
My boat was 120 km away from a dealer it only took about 2 minutes. No laptop was needed

gav73
21-02-2013, 07:59 AM
Thanks Stuie we are in the same boat , we are 200km from the dealer and they can fit it in until the start of april . I was going to disconnect the fuel line and premix some fuel in a tin and run it until i had no bubbles in the oil lines.Or i was going to find + &- on the oil pump and run it direct of the battery.

STUIE63
21-02-2013, 08:47 AM
Just get the directions from your dealer and if they won't give it then get onto BRP

Fed
21-02-2013, 09:18 AM
http://www.operatorsguides.brp.com/OperatorsGuidesAttachments/OwnersManuals_EJ/attach/2012/216075%20EN.pdf

Page 17 for priming will refer you to page 50, winterizing can be used for oil priming by the looks of it.
Tricky new fangled stuff, I don't think premix works properly in etecs but would be happy to be corrected.

Noelm
21-02-2013, 09:32 AM
correct, do NOT run your e-tec on premix thinking it is being lubricated.

cormorant
21-02-2013, 01:50 PM
Thanks Stuie we are in the same boat , we are 200km from the dealer and they can fit it in until the start of april . I was going to disconnect the fuel line and premix some fuel in a tin and run it until i had no bubbles in the oil lines.Or i was going to find + &- on the oil pump and run it direct of the battery.

What has hapened - Why does the oil system need priming?
Is thier air in the oil feed lines and how did it get there?

Gav do not do either of the above.
Oil system is not 12v and requires pulses
No fuel ever goes through a etecs crankcase so premix will not lubricate the crankcase- ie all the moving parts. Oil is fed into the crankcase and vaporised by air going past on it's way to the combustion chamber. Fuel is only directly injected into he combustion chamber. Doing what you are suggesting means the crank will be running with little to no oil for a period of time.

gav73
21-02-2013, 04:29 PM
What happened was the steering cable broke and he flipped the boat and it stayed in the water overnight up side down (fresh) , he has booked it in with another dealer (350km) away late next week . Thanks for your advice Cormorant

cormorant
21-02-2013, 07:33 PM
That is a terrible story to hear. Hope he is Ok.

What has he done to date to get the water out?

gav73
21-02-2013, 09:46 PM
After he flipped it we found he and his wife hanging on to the hull in the middle of the dam, just before dark. We recovered it the next day, we tried that night but his wife was not doing too well and it was rough as. We took it to the marine centre as Club Marine instructions and was told a week later the motor was RS and the boat would be written off. It sat at the marine centre for a couple weeks before we picked it up to assess the damage. We drained all the fluids, put some fresh fuel in it and away she went. Since then he has bought it off the insurance company and we have done a full fit out new wiring , gauges , 2 sounders , radio , 2 way , pumps , the boat is like new . The marine centre put oil in the cylinders and spun it over (I think someone had a cheap buy in mind)before we bought it back. I hope he can get it sorted soon so I can get him out of my boat.

gav73
21-02-2013, 09:48 PM
Also we have fitted hydraulic steering