Thanks

LittleSkipper
20-02-2013, 02:07 PM
Hi I am look at putting on of these on my 4.5m Polycraft budget is $1000

. Lowrance Elite5 DSI - Fish Finder
. Humminbird 587CXi Fish Finder Combo

can and one offer any advice or more info on these

Thanks

I have the 798CXI on my Polycraft, just recently updated the software version on the head unit. Also have the Navionics SD Card for wider map coverage. I've had the unit since 2011.

Hasn't missed a beat. Great little unit. I like the built in SI & DI technology.

Lowrance don't have this built in, you have to buy the black box separately. Good Luck with your choice.

tunaticer
20-02-2013, 05:06 PM
The Elite 5 DSI is currently on special for $750 from Whitworths....good buying at that price.
https://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdetail.asp?item=45748&search123=dsi&intAbsolutePage=1

The Humminbird you mentioned will not give you a DSI photographic styled image but it will operate at higher speeds, that is the downfall with the DSI, it does not like higher speeds, the big brother HDS does though because it can be selectable with the back box add on to what type of screen image you want, DSI does not give you a choice, it is just DSI.
Personally I like the DSI for my kayak, but would spend the coin on something better for a boat. The kayak doesn't go too fast for the sounder.....

Seahorse
20-02-2013, 06:43 PM
Whenever i read on here there always seems to be a problem with someones lowrance. But i must admit i very rarely see any issues with huminbird. I have a huminbird but was going to get a new lowrance hd7 touch. Just an observation

LittleSkipper
20-02-2013, 10:23 PM
Whenever i read on here there always seems to be a problem with someones lowrance. But i must admit i very rarely see any issues with huminbird. I have a huminbird but was going to get a new lowrance hd7 touch. Just an observation

The bizarre thing is their both made in the U.S.A! But where do all the parts come from?

tunaticer
21-02-2013, 08:41 PM
Have a look at the Raymarine Dragonfly......new post about it yesterday.......very interesting.

Jarrah Jack
21-02-2013, 08:55 PM
The bizarre thing is their both made in the U.S.A! But where do all the parts come from?

Better make that Mexico with a lot of Lowrance units. The thing with Lowrance is that they're an expensive throw away item once the warranty 2 years is up.