PDA

View Full Version : 2 Stroke or 4 Stroke?

boboncc
20-02-2013, 06:59 AM
I have read many posts here and I do know the advantages of one versus the other (cost, efficiency, weight, noise etc). I'm new to boats and I apologise if some of you think this is a dumb question, but are the exhaust fumes from 2 stroke engines that bad?????

Even though this is going to be my boat, I am going to have to take into consideration the boss who at times can get a little sea sick. Having said that she does not complain about the exhaust when she uses a brush cutter. ;D

Thanks!
Bob

ozynorts
20-02-2013, 07:22 AM
It depends on the type of 2 stroke. I have a Yammie 115hp carbie and it is really noticeable. And noisy. I have been on boats with Optimax motors and the smell was still noticeable but not as strong. My wife gets sea sick at times and it is made worse by the smell.
Cheers
Ozy

lethal098
20-02-2013, 08:30 AM
modern day 2 strokes, no not a lot, older 2 strokes yes,

WalrusLike
20-02-2013, 08:53 AM
It depends on the type of 2 stroke. I have a Yammie 115hp carbie and it is really noticeable. And noisy. I have been on boats with Optimax motors and the smell was still noticeable but not as strong. My wife gets sea sick at times and it is made worse by the smell.
Cheers
Ozy

Yeah me too. My motor is a year old and if slowly traveling downwind it can bother the boss. Made worse by clears on.

However after switching to Yammalube instead of caltex I find its a bit better. Can't say for sure though.

But it is not a deal breaker type thing... It just might tip her over into seasick if things are heading that way. A factor but not the only one.

(Using Tapatalk on iPhone so can't easily 'thank' or 'like'.)

boboncc
20-02-2013, 09:06 AM
Ozy ,Lethal098 and WalrusLike ........ thanks for the replies.

If I go 2 stroke I was thinking either a 25hp or 30hp Yamaha or Suzuki on a 4m - 4.2m tinnie. I don't really want the extra expense but if it makes the experience better for her, then I'll go the 4 stroke. You know the old expression: Happy wife......... poorer husband!!!

joey_1987
20-02-2013, 09:35 AM
You can get an EFI 4s in that range (Mercury/Tohatsu) but I believe they are considerably more to purchase and service. That said you will have a much quieter, smoother engine with no detectable exhaust fumes. I own a 4m tinnie with a 30hp 2s (Mariner). At 3/4 throttle-WOT it's quite loud but I often think this would be better if I installed forward controls rather than tiller steer. Also bear in mind the 4s weighs 20-30kg more than the 2s. On the topic of fumes for me (I run a 50:1 fuel:oil Quicksilver Premium Plus mix) I only notice them sometimes when idling/with a following wind and at speed most of the oil burns even if you double back the smell is not intrusive at all. Also advise if you go a 4.2hp then consider a 40hp as more power/less stressed engine is better for sure.

patrol50
20-02-2013, 12:47 PM
i would go with a 4 stroke bob for what you want to use it for - i have had both and still have a couple of smaller 2 s for my tinny (18hp tohatsu) and trailer sailer (8 hp johnson) but i would only go 4 s now for my power boat (60 hp merc big foot) - 4 s much quieter, no fumes , bit less get up and go at start usually but so what
cheers rob

thelump
20-02-2013, 01:07 PM
If its an open tinny and only requires a 30hp then I would definately go a 2 stroke. Less money and still good economy in that size and the fumes aren't really going to bother you in an open boat.

boboncc
20-02-2013, 01:11 PM
joey_1987 Thanks again for replying to one of my questions.

patrol50 Hi Rob thanks for the reply and yes I'm still here and still considering my options.
Looking at 4m-4.2m with the max allowed HP the boat can take, looks like my budget may have to increase should I get a 4 stroke.

Does anyone know of web sites that give you an idea of outboard make and model prices, I've only found one for Yamaha and at this stage I don't want to bother dealers.

Cheers!
Bob

boboncc
20-02-2013, 01:13 PM
Thanks Jason.

ozynorts
20-02-2013, 03:21 PM
If its an open tinny and only requires a 30hp then I would definately go a 2 stroke. Less money and still good economy in that size and the fumes aren't really going to bother you in an open boat.

Have to agree with the lump here. I didn't realise that you were talking about a tinny. joey 1987 suggestion of a merc/tohatsu DI 2 stroke in that range would be a good choice. Even an Etec. The DI 2 strokes are better when it comes to fumes but they do still emit some. As I said earlier I was on a boat with Opti's and the smell was still noticeable.

ozynorts
20-02-2013, 03:23 PM
Does anyone know of web sites that give you an idea of outboard make and model prices, I've only found one for Yamaha and at this stage I don't want to bother dealers.

Cheers!
Bob

It is not easy to find sites that will give you prices.
Try boatpoint. It will give you a guide but the actual price may/will be different depending on your negotiating skills.

ozynorts
20-02-2013, 03:28 PM
this is a search for 2 strokes. Both Carbi and DI.
http://www.boatpoint.com.au/showroom/results.aspx?Ns=p_BoatHasPrice_Int32%7C1%7C%7Cp_Bo atReleaseDate_DateTime%7C1%7C%7C%7Cp_BoatMake_Stri ng%7C0%7C%7Cp_BoatModel_String%7C0&silo=spec&N=3142+3221+3247+4294777102+3179&eapi=2&vertical=boat
And here is one for 4 stroke.
http://www.boatpoint.com.au/showroom/results.aspx?Ns=p_BoatHasPrice_Int32%7C1%7C%7Cp_Bo atReleaseDate_DateTime%7C1%7C%7C%7Cp_BoatMake_Stri ng%7C0%7C%7Cp_BoatModel_String%7C0&silo=spec&N=3142+3221+3247+3179+3240&eapi=2&vertical=boat

LittleSkipper
20-02-2013, 03:42 PM
Have to agree with the lump here. I didn't realise that you were talking about a tinny. joey 1987 suggestion of a merc/tohatsu DI 2 stroke in that range would be a good choice. Even an Etec. The DI 2 strokes are better when it comes to fumes but they do still emit some. As I said earlier I was on a boat with Opti's and the smell was still noticeable.

Was the Opti smoke visible as well as the odour?

LittleSkipper
20-02-2013, 03:52 PM
I have read many posts here and I do know the advantages of one versus the other (cost, efficiency, weight, noise etc). I'm new to boats and I apologise if some of you think this is a dumb question, but are the exhaust fumes from 2 stroke engines that bad?????

Even though this is going to be my boat, I am going to have to take into consideration the boss who at times can get a little sea sick. Having said that she does not complain about the exhaust when she uses a brush cutter. ;D

Thanks!
Bob

Would have to agree with everything that is said here! I have an '09 Mercury 75hp Carbie Injected and it is a smoker through & through. You really have to decide if you want to put up with a smoker (Carbie) a little smoker (DI) or convert to the modern, quite, odourless 4's of today.

ozynorts
20-02-2013, 04:04 PM
only visible on start up and then only the smell remained.

Spaniard_King
20-02-2013, 04:32 PM
Bob,

go and spend some time at a popular ramp and talk to some people who own one ie..2 stroke and 4 stroke

boboncc
20-02-2013, 04:50 PM
ozynorts Thanks, I had seen those before but Suzuki still showing as POA.

boboncc
20-02-2013, 04:56 PM
Spaniard_King Thanks, sound advice, but I'll have to wait a couple of weeks as I'm away on a trip for work and there is not much happening with boats where I'm going! (-2c)

ozynorts
20-02-2013, 04:58 PM
ozynorts Thanks, I had seen those before but Suzuki still showing as POA.
try this one
http://www.boatpoint.com.au/accessories/results.aspx?Ns=pBoat_IsPremium_Int32%7c1%7c%7cpBo at_HasImage_Int32%7c1%7c%7cpBoat_Make_String%7c0%7 c%7cpBoat_Model_String%7c0%7c%7cpBoat_Price_Decima l%7c1&N=1550%201555%20258%204294877070%204294896645&SearchAction=N&Qpb=1&sid=1369157EED3E&Nne=15

boboncc
20-02-2013, 06:33 PM
ozynorts Excellent, gives me some ideas.

Thanks
Bob

CATchin'Em
20-02-2013, 06:51 PM
I'd go 2 stroke in a smaller engine 50hp and below. just because usually they don't get the hours up on them and cheaper to own/service.
but if you intend on doing a lot of trolling/slow motoring then I would consider a 4 stroke.
But in your case being new to it all and probably unsure of usage I would recommend a yam 2-stroke.
And also I would recommend a 2nd hand boat and motor as most people make learn from making mistakes/ learning where rocks/ sandbars,etc
There is the blokes that have hit stuff and the blokes that are about too, everybody has hit something and learnt from it, it is all part of the learning curve.

boboncc
20-02-2013, 08:03 PM
CATchin'Em. Thanks, I don't think you ever stop learning!

joey_1987
20-02-2013, 10:12 PM
The secondhand school of thought is a good one providing you can find the right deal. Late model tinnies with good motors and trailers generally hold their value quite well though. When I was shopping around I first looked second hand and if I wanted something halfway decent it made more sense to buy new (old hull+newish motor+fair trailer for $1000 less than brand new). That said bargains do come up, you might be able to pick up a lightly used 4.2m runabout (forward steer+windscreen) with 40hp in your budget but buying second hand does add risk if you are new to boating. Best bet is to tee up with someone who knows their stuff and also check out the type of rigs you're considering. Don't be rushed into a decision either, nothing worse than buying something then later realising you should've taken more time to figure out exactly what you wanted.

boboncc
21-02-2013, 05:45 PM
joey_1987 Thanks. I won't be rushing into things, however unless it is one to two years old or new, I will not consider it due my lack of knowledge.

Thanks again
Bob

patrol50
21-02-2013, 06:37 PM
gday bob glad to see your moving to a 4.1 - 4.2 m size tinny you wont be sorry about that i dont think - also if you buy a 2 s you may wish at a later time you had a bought a 4 s - if however you buy 4 s first up its very unlikely you will wish you had bought a 2 s - except maybe when you pay for the annual service - and yep we all run into stuff and hit the odd sandbank etc and almost get left high and dry when the tide runs out etc all part of the fun
cheers rob
ps and good advice from garry to hang around a ramp and have a chat to a few guys - garry does know his stuff

boboncc
22-02-2013, 08:38 AM
Thanks everyone for the replies!

What are your thoughts on buying a boat from one dealer and an engine from another?

ozynorts
22-02-2013, 08:46 AM
As long as you can get a good deal from both then why not. Remember though that you will have to deal with two different places for things like your warranty.

joey_1987
22-02-2013, 09:52 AM
Is there any benefit from buying the boat from one dealer and engine from another? I found that dealers can do a deal on a package, I priced a Quintrex 3.95m first up $8000 with 30hp Yamaha and then a Stacer 3.95 (basically the same boat) for under $6000 with 30hp Mariner. Also there is a massive price difference between 4.2m and 3.95m, at least when I looked. Evaluate your use, for 2 people 3.95m is perfect and with 30hp you will scoot along very nicely. Yes 4.2m and 40hp will be faster/slightly higher sides and a bit longer but look at both in the flesh and ask yourself if it's worth the difference.

patrol50
22-02-2013, 11:42 AM
mate everyone has a different opinion about best boats motors etc etc and many are coloured by what they own - in the final wash up IMHO buy the biggest boat you can afford ( particularly if the wife and or any family are involved ) as all boats shrink when put it in water off a trailer ( a bit different if you want to car top it though ) and the biggest hp oB that will fit on it and that you can afford - and why buy a bit smelly bit noisy rattley 2 s motor if you can buy a super quite 4s EFI ob with no smell that just purrs along - buying off 2 dealers is fine just go after the best deal you can get and thats often just the one package deal

just remember there may be quite difference between what a 30 + something guy thinks will be ok and what a 50 + something guy may find ok - so good luck with your decision and go for the deal that feels right for you - its you call
cheers rob

Scott Ashe
22-02-2013, 12:21 PM
Hi mate, I bought my new boat boat package in 2009 from different dealers. I was looking at around the same size your looking at too. I ended up with an Allycraft 425 "Reelmate" which I purchased from Karee Marine at Rocklea in Brisbane. I wanted Yamaha to power my boat, so I purchased my 30 4 stroke from Wynnum Marine as Karee Marine only sold Mercury I also purchased my trailer though wynnum Marine as I knew Redco make a quality boat trailer. I wouldn't say that the total price came out cheaper, and yes, their was a little bit of extra running around involved, but in the end I had exactly what I wanted and I was happy. Both dealers were quite good to deal with, especially since I had dealt with wynnum marine in the past due to a purchase of my previous boat.

Good luck with it all.
Cheers

boboncc
23-02-2013, 08:51 AM
Thanks everyone for the replies, I am definitely more educated than I was 3 weeks ago. The down side is I'm away with work , I will not be back home until Saturday next week and will not be able to have a look around until the following week.

Thanks again, this is a good forum with helpful people on it!

Cheers!
Bob