PDA

View Full Version : 175 hp etec

19-02-2013, 12:04 PM
has anybody actually had any first hand problems with these motors other than just rumours they have heard through a mate of a mate so to speak . any info would be much appreciated
thanks craig

cormorant
19-02-2013, 12:40 PM
Most problems with etecs have been caused by water getting into the injectors and them failing. Some injectors have just outright failed. If you are buying a 2nd hand motor you need to ensure that the boat has been set up right including extra water trap filters and running the correct oil and motor on the correct oil settings. There have been some computer failures.
Are you looking at a new motor or a older one? If 2nd hand you really need someone with the right training and software to check it thoroughly for you but that goes for any brand. .

There is a huge bunch of people who hate ETECs outright and use the mate of a mate bullcrap and that may still affect resale or narrow your resale / trade in market when you go to sell it on later. There may be a few who have owned them and had issues and a few of those who have had issues outside warranty which always hurts teh pocket.

Depending on your boat and type of usage for that boat be it for trolling for hours or just getting out there and drifting can make a difference to what I would buy.

If you don't have a good etec trained dealer local who you can deal with then just like any brand buy what you can get serviced and supported locally and conveniently

Popcorn ready -----go

19-02-2013, 12:48 PM
thanks for the reply cormorant, i am buying brand new so can only hope that they set it up right is there anything in particular you think i should look for

cormorant
19-02-2013, 01:07 PM
Dealer should know it all but like any motor it has to be correct height, correct prop and have fuel and battery systems sorted propperly. No motor will perform if it isn't the correct HP for the boat or the wrong weight on the transom. Make sure the dealer if near the water does onwater tests to ensure the set up is good for your boat . Run fresh non ethanol if possible fuel and use a fuel storage product to keep it fresh when stored.

Get the dealers or mates and go for a run in a boat with a current 4 stroke and you can compare noise and smell and get your own opinion.

If you have been sold on less servicing of the etec over a 4 stroke and lower costs it in reality all works out about the same for the average user in a lot of cases over a few years. The 4strokes have trimmed some weight and solved some of the issues regarding power. In a 175hp I would look seriously at all motors avaliable as it is very competitive.

Haven't seen one for a while but do a search for a 150-175hp "outboard shootout" as every few years the USA magazines do one and it is a good read to compare technologies weights , bulk etc all in one place for current models.

Being the end part of Summer coming up some manufacturers will have run outs and also sell off their demo motors and there can be decent savings to be made. Should be good prices about as apart from dealers getting screwed on insurance claims they are not turning over much so bargain hard.

Don't rush in and see if you can find a "sistership" of your boat already powered by the motor you choose and then you can get some real world numbers on fuel consumption, oil servicing and know the set up works from day one. Talk to the owner of that sistership. Someone on here may own it or know someone who does or teh dealer may put you in contact.

Good luck with finding the right motor .

PS if your boat can take the weight talk to Spaniard King on here about the Honda and prices if you are local to him.

EDIT - Just had a quick read. You have a non standard hull. When buying make sure the dealer knows what you expect from the motor in terms of cruise speed and fuel consumption at cruise . Some hulls are hard to get a motor and prop combination that will work in the midrange where you spend 60% of run time. I hope the extra hp on the hull will mean the motor doesn't labour and give crap ecconomy.

Summary of weights etc, Check loacl brochures in case of errors.
http://www.outboard-engine.com/compare.php?recordID=175

hilta1
19-02-2013, 02:44 PM
Mate i have had and still have some etecs, had a 90 that just got replaced had 2000 hours on it never got rinsed or looked after realy but was still going when it came off, had a few issues with starter motor but realy that was it, Have a 150 on a 6mtr glass boat has 250 hours on it did have an injector shit itself early on, still got us home in some ugly shit and didnt realy notice the performance difference greatly, was replaced under waranty and no problem since, hace a 130 on a 5.5 alloy centre console and that hasnt missed abeat has 290 hours on that one, also have 2x 115 yammis with 500 hours 4 strokes and have had a few issues with them, Only small issues but still annoying ones, the 90 was replaced with a 90 Honda only 10 hours on that so cant comment yet, in a nut shell ,i wouldnt hesitate putting more etecs on when the time comes, just depends what the best deal is at the time realy, the dealer we use is a etec and honda dealer hence the decioson to go 90 honda, obviously the pricing structure they offered is to try to swing us onto all hondas when the other motors need replacing so we will see what happens. Dont be too scared off by the scaremongering you here about etecs i still thing they are quite a good motor, you get good and bad in all brands and one fish farm down here has had a bad run with suzus, but i still say its how they have been treated and maintained more than anything, because i wouldnt hesitate putting 140 suzukis on the kevlacat when the yammis need replacing but if i listen to the yammi fanatics apparently the yammis will never need replacing!!!!lol

LittleSkipper
19-02-2013, 03:17 PM
When is all the BAGGING of e-tecs gonna stop? Wouldn't one think that with all the previous issues that BRP had with these outboards that they would of sorted them out by now?

Perhaps there were issues early on in the peace? but now in 2013? Yeah right!

I think some people are just looking for a good pop-corn moment?

lethal098
19-02-2013, 03:44 PM
You are going to get the Etec bashing and the good old 2 stroke vs 4 stroke crap,

at the end of the day u get good and bad of every kind of outboard,

just look for the best after sales service local to you, that is the biggest thing to look for,

hilta1
19-02-2013, 04:13 PM
Totaly agree with the last 2 posts, good and bad points with all outboards, even the old 2 stroke v 4stroke there are good and bad eg, there maybe more fumes with my etecs than the yammis but there sure is more power right through the rev range with the etecs than the yammis, and i only just got the yammis serviced AGAIN which hurts the pocket more than a bit of xd100 oil in the etecs!!! Either way they all cost too much and as i said pros and cons with both!!! I personely have had an extremely good run out of the 3 etecs i have owned over the last 5 years, And that is all i can go by!!!! My mates brothers boyfriends sisters husband hasnt been quiet so lucky cause he has had 5 etecs that have all blown up!!!!!

paullee
19-02-2013, 05:56 PM
Yep totally agree with all the above...i have put 130 hours on my new 130 in the past year....it hasnt missed a beat...i am still trying to get the right prop/motor height combination for trolling but that has nothing to do with the actual reliability of the motor....as for the oil at $300 plus for 20 litres depending on what sort of boating/fishing you are doing then that is a big factor imo. Just bought a new 20l drum the other week after 120 hours but my economy isnt great while trolling but more to do with set up than motor i think. Upfront cost was the main factor in my decision however part of me regrets not shopping around a bit more at the time.... Where abouts are you located and what type of boat are you powering?

rcfisher
19-02-2013, 08:46 PM
Well i couuld give you my 90 etec its in about 50 pieces in my shed.
Yes its out of waranty and yes it hurts.
Check your pms
cheers Ryan

Darren Mc
19-02-2013, 11:36 PM
You could have had my '08 150 etec for $2000 as that was all my dealer was going to give me for a trade in.
It was in near perfect condition, always looked after properly and with about 120 hrs on it. This dealer is an etec dealer and i was told basically the didn't want it cause there's too much risk when they're out of warranty.
Sorry but i won't ever go near another one.

astro66
20-02-2013, 08:16 AM
that is a slap in the face darren...
me im looking to upgrade from a 40hp smoker to a 50/60hp yammy 4stroker....the prices i have been given for an etech are dearer then the yammy??? is that right?...