PDA

View Full Version : Slight oil leak after service...normal ?

deckie
18-02-2013, 02:35 AM
Hiya guys. Its a yam F70A with 19hrs on the clock and just come back from its first (20hr) service. Noticed a slight oil leak coming from the area in the pic below with an arrow, and was wondering if its normal or should i maybe drop it back up the shop for a check. Not used to oil leaks so i'm not too keen on taking it out before knowing if its fine.
Oil is obviously brand new, almost clear slight yellowy/green tinge as far as i can make out.
Have wiped the area twice to determine exactly where coming from ..see arrow in pic. Have dbl checked any screw/bolt heads i can get at and all seems perfect.
Roughly a drip every 1-2 hrs i'd guess. Has been going for 5 days now since back from service. Motor in slightly tilted position. Was no leak before service.
Bit concerned that if oil can get out then water can get in...and i'm not the most mechanically minded guy.
Tx for any thoughts about this.
Steve

Spaniard_King
18-02-2013, 05:57 AM
Take it back!!!!

Either they spilt oil or the filter is loose and if they did the tappets then the rocker cover could be leaking

deckie
18-02-2013, 06:41 AM
Gawwwddd....tx for getting back fast Garry.

Will do.

LittleSkipper
18-02-2013, 03:12 PM
Hiya guys. Its a yam F70A with 19hrs on the clock and just come back from its first (20hr) service. Noticed a slight oil leak coming from the area in the pic below with an arrow, and was wondering if its normal or should i maybe drop it back up the shop for a check. Not used to oil leaks so i'm not too keen on taking it out before knowing if its fine.
Oil is obviously brand new, almost clear slight yellowy/green tinge as far as i can make out.
Have wiped the area twice to determine exactly where coming from ..see arrow in pic. Have dbl checked any screw/bolt heads i can get at and all seems perfect.
Roughly a drip every 1-2 hrs i'd guess. Has been going for 5 days now since back from service. Motor in slightly tilted position. Was no leak before service.
Bit concerned that if oil can get out then water can get in...and i'm not the most mechanically minded guy.
Tx for any thoughts about this.
Steve

Slight Oil leak after service...normal? HIGHLY & UNCONDITIONALLY NOT NORMAL. There is nothing normal about oil leaking before or after any service.

As Garry said "Take it Back" from where it was serviced.

Oh! And if it's still leaking dripping as you depicted in the pics? don't wipe it clean, leave it there as evidence when you return to there service dept.

bazza65
18-02-2013, 03:49 PM
steve,
I had a similar problem after my 40 hp yamaha after it was serviced. Rang the mechanic and he told me they had pressure tested the gear box,checked for leaks everywhere and every thing was ok. I did not accept that. THemotor was in for its first service and still under warranty. After two hours of checking motor over from top to bottom i found the problem. The bottom of the engine couling has a drain hole the thickness of a pin and when i spray the engine after every use with ecolube it would pool at the bottom of the couling under the engine. Over 24hrs it would drain through the small hole in the couling and drop onto the exact spot that your oil is appearing. I did ring the mechanic and apologise for reving up. I do hope that this the cause of your leak too. cheers bazza

cormorant
18-02-2013, 05:20 PM
Pull the cowl off and check where it is coming from and see if you can spot a pool in the lower cowl.
Determin if it is leaking or if it is just where they spilt some when refilling engine oil.
Does it smell like engine oil or gearbox oil?

Good you spotted it and depending what it is would determin if I bothered to tow it back but pretty sloppy either way. Get the mechanic to drop past on his way to work and fix it.

tunaticer
18-02-2013, 05:31 PM
I would have rang them immediately and spoken to the service tech that did the job. That way you can get a better understanding of the history of that service. The service manager wouldn't know if anything was spilled or not.

Spaniard_King
18-02-2013, 06:32 PM
steve,
I had a similar problem after my 40 hp yamaha after it was serviced. Rang the mechanic and he told me they had pressure tested the gear box,checked for leaks everywhere and every thing was ok. I did not accept that. THemotor was in for its first service and still under warranty. After two hours of checking motor over from top to bottom i found the problem. The bottom of the engine couling has a drain hole the thickness of a pin and when i spray the engine after every use with ecolube it would pool at the bottom of the couling under the engine. Over 24hrs it would drain through the small hole in the couling and drop onto the exact spot that your oil is appearing. I did ring the mechanic and apologise for reving up. I do hope that this the cause of your leak too. cheers bazza

Bazza makes a very good point. I spray all the engines I service with lanolin and it does resemble oil in a liquid form, however it will go waxy after drying some

deckie
18-02-2013, 07:02 PM
Sorry guys been a bit busy. tx for getting back. I'm trucking it back up yes. problem was i didnt really notice it till days afterwards due to the rain, didnt see a mark on that pebblecrete and wasnt really looking for it.
Took the cowling off early this morning and had a look but everything looks spanking new. Not even a smear of oil anywhere and i had a good look down low..nothing. i havent tilted the motor upright coz i cant where it sits at the moment, but the oil level on the tilt shown in the pics looks about 3/4-4/5ths on the dipstick. Couldnt find any evidence of a spill nor a pool of any kind so i;ll be leaving it up to them to figure it out.
I checked even closer and looks like it might be coming from a small open hole now shown in the revised pic below...which i have no idea what it does but i think i;ve seen water come out of it when flushing. Nothing in the manual about this hole or what it does. ORRR it might be just above that little hole i cant be sure yet.
Anyway...will get to the bottom of it soon. If u have any idea yell out. After the rain went i suddenly realised the "water" on that pebblecrete wasnt drying up and it might be oil.
Bazza tx mate..but i cant see any evidence of pooling anywhere, and havent sprayed the motor insides yet so its unlikely to be as u describe.
Corm...not clued up on the smell difference of engine and gearbox oil matey lol...i'd be 90% its engine oil tho after looking at the dipstick level.
Only wish i spotted it within a day or two.
Steve

Stuart
18-02-2013, 09:45 PM
Just take it back mate.

Darren Mc
18-02-2013, 10:06 PM
Hi deckie,

You will find that the oil level on your dipstick will change when you tilt the motor down so that it's level.(I'm sure you know that though)
As for the oil leak, because you can't locate the source for sure, i'd just take it back to the shop for them to look at and fix.
I'm with you, i hate any oil leaks and it was a good idea not to use it just incase there is a problem.
Good luck with it. she'll be right just a pain in the butt.

wayno60
18-02-2013, 10:49 PM
steve, who's done the service, BY??

cormorant
18-02-2013, 11:02 PM
Been working nights up Deckies way the last week and dropping in every couple of days and splashing a bit of oil about. The simplest jokes are the best!!

Yeah I'm joking but it's got me thinking!

deckie
19-02-2013, 05:47 AM
steve, who's done the service, BY??
Nahh Wayne i'm not going to say on a public forum coz people might get a negative impression of them and they dont deserve that...just glad i spotted it though, but i guess i would have anyway when i next went to take it for a spin. These guys have been very good and dont deserve any negativity over what is probably something simple or silly small.
I used to be able to do some basic minor maintenance on 2 stks (like everyone else) but i wouldnt have a clue about one of these things...never got into motors and happy to leave it to experts. I'm sure they'll figure it out fast and it'll be some simple issue.

deckie
19-02-2013, 05:59 AM
Been working nights up Deckies way the last week and dropping in every couple of days and splashing a bit of oil about. The simplest jokes are the best!!
Yeah I'm joking but it's got me thinking!
U cruel man u...sounds like you're brewing evil.
My old man once told me when he was a kid he used to put a pebble in peoples hubcaps for fun...said they'd drive off and hear the noise and take it in for a service.

WalrusLike
19-02-2013, 07:37 AM
Good onya Deckie for being responsible with business names. I hope it's sorted for you soon.

Corm.... you evil genius you.... Are you the one putting rain water in my engine well no matter how I arrange my boat cover?

(Using Tapatalk on iPhone so can't easily 'thank' or 'like'.)

deckie
21-02-2013, 04:27 PM
Follow up...by the way tx for the input. Here's what it turned out to be. They sent a guy out and there were two places he headed for straight away....the oil filter and the drain plug. Was 99% was drain plug within 30 seconds and said when putting them back on sometimes the washer/nut doesnt quite seat properly but still feels like its done right. Didnt say it an issue particular to these but all he did was undo then do it up again, degrease/wipe things everywhere then tilt it right up for a bit and down for a bit to see if any oil leaking. Replaced oil and bingo, done. I put a pic of the donk up to show where it was coming from, and the dash lines is the path the leaking oil was taking to end up where it was dripping. Most of the path the leak took was inside the housings, exiting where the original pictures showed.
The bolt/washer is housed in a rubberish tube and was not obvious to see the oil seeping unless u put a torch in and finger. Sometimes the simplest things hey.
Tx again fellas.
Steve

Steeler
21-02-2013, 04:53 PM
Good result champion.

wayno60
22-02-2013, 12:23 AM
bud whats with the black prop???thats the after market ones?

deckie
22-02-2013, 10:30 AM
Nope Wayno thats the original before repropped during installation. Water tested the next day. 5900-6000 with that one, the next got it >6100 and nice.
Thats an older pic than the previous ones, from back in November so that i could show the drain plug.

bazza65
22-02-2013, 02:25 PM
Great to hear it all turned out ok
bazza