PDA

View Full Version : New Tinnie

boboncc
14-02-2013, 08:43 AM
I posted a few days ago asking general advice on a new tinnie, thanks to all that gave me their advice! As I said only to be used around rivers a sheltered water, not outside.
I've seen the package below and I'm pretty interested as it suits my needs.

Stacer 399 Proline, white with low floor (in stock)
Brooker trailer
Bimini
Safety gear
Boat and trailer rego.
25hp or 30hp Yamaha (sourced from a different dealer)

Cost approx $9300

I'll be interested in what you think............good or bad!!!!
Thanks

patrol50
14-02-2013, 09:35 AM
gday bob that package is ok i would think and should do the job for you ok but that size is more or less just one step up from a standard car topper and in fact some people do use a similar size setup as a car topper on a purpose built HD roof carrier and i have considered using a 3.9 / 20 or 25 hp also as it will handle a bit of slop better than a 3.75 . / 15 hp etc

id still look at a 4.1 or 4.2 if i was you for about that money with a 30 or better ( you can never have too much hp power you will find) as just more room all round and easy to trailer etc etc and i would try to steer away from stacer quintrex and savage and maybe compare then with the sea jay, formosa, horizon and clark to name a few

just my opinion that all but at the end of the day its your call and the budget always rules the day for most of us - it does for me !!!
cheers rob

Noelm
14-02-2013, 09:57 AM
There is a lot of talk about the Stacer/Quintrex/Savage (Telwater) boats being a bit low on quality control, but if looked at in reality, they probably manufacture 20 times more boats than any of the others, so the number of problems is quite low compared to numbers sold (in my opinion) I know plenty of people who have some of those makes, and all of them are very happy with their purchase, remeber they are backed by a huge dealer network, Australia wide. (by the way, I do not own a Telwater product)

Corry
14-02-2013, 10:00 AM
I've got the 395 Stacer Proline Angler, full floors etc, with a 30 merc (2stk) on the back. Runs like a dream, the hull handles well, doesn't do too bad in the slop either when we gotta run around out the front to get into Boundary Ck off Armstrong Beach. Ya get wet, but you do in any tinny. Would love to put a 4stk on it, my old man has a Merc 30 4stk on his 4m Quinny Widebody, it's a good package, but too big to car top.
With the 30 on the Angler (it is slightly heavy than the Proline) it runs at 45kph WOT, and drops to around 40 with the extra battery up front, electric motor on, and two people with esky and dog. It sits pretty flat when I stand on the sides for a leak, and doesn't move around to much when walking around it either.
What your looking at would be great for a topper, we're thinking about selling ours to go for the same hull for that exact use, I'd still keep with the 30, love the power and speed. Even thought about making a set of removable floors for it and put the hull up top and just throw the floor back in when using it.
Pity your not closer, we could go for a run in it.
Good luck, I don't think you'd be dissapointed.

Cheers
Corry

Triple
14-02-2013, 11:31 AM
Still think for that sort of coin you could get a new Clark 4.27 pursuit with safety gear and trailer with a 40hp merc and Bimini and still have some change...

joey_1987
14-02-2013, 11:50 AM
Seems a bit expensive if you ask me for the package. You're getting a basic tinny with little extras (bimini being one) and the motor is the CV model yes?
I went through the same process in 2005 and ended up buying a new Stacer, not the flatter bottomed proline but I went with the 395 seasprite with 30hp Mariner (Tohatsu) motor made in Japan. Cost was under 6K including nav lights fitted, battery fitted and trailer/regos. I know price was lower because the Mariner outboards are packaged with the Stacer boats ad they worked out cheaper by about 1-2K than the same thing with Yamaha when I priced them. Worth looking around.

lbger
14-02-2013, 01:46 PM
For that kinda money i would look at something second hand but in good nick with all the bells and whistles. There are tons of rediculous bargains if you are patient enough to look every day. I bought the last three boats this way and sold the last two for 50%top of what i paid for them allowing me to upgrade twice basically for free.. Its fun aswell i think :)

boboncc
14-02-2013, 04:16 PM
Thanks everyone for the replies.

One problem I have is the only dealers that are within a 30min drive are Stacer or Quintrex. The others like Sea Jay, Stessco are 2hrs plus except for the Clark which is about an hour away and not very helpful.
I don't mind the drive to have a look and possibly purchase, but I would prefer the dealer to be closer for after sales service or problems should they occur.
I've been looking around the net at the usual sites for something that is second hand, a couple of years old and good value, so far nothing has caught my eye that is in NSW.

On a slightly different topic, the dealer for the Stacer I was looking at sells Suzuki, have you heard of any problems with them?

Cheers!
Bob

patrol50
14-02-2013, 04:31 PM
suz are generally considered right up there with the very best i.e. honda, yam etc and usually a touch more expensive though - all i can afford usually are the well priced mercs which are still pretty good anyway these days - pretty hard to find a crook OB nowdays bob from any of the bigger names

boboncc
14-02-2013, 07:39 PM
Thanks patrol50.