PDA

View Full Version : Fishing in Fiji - anyone done it?

Salad Fingers
12-02-2013, 09:28 PM
Hey Guys, heading to Fiji in July for a honeymoon.
Wouldn't mind sneeking in a little fishing trip somewhere in the week long stay there.
anyone got any recomendations on who they have used/who i shouldn't use, etc?

living in Darwin I guess I have fairly high standards when it comes to tropical fishing, so I don't wanna be sitting out there on a crappy boat catching little baby snapper or something on pieces of squid.

What is the GT fishing like out that way, is it reliable?

Tbar84
13-02-2013, 11:33 AM
Have been to Fiji a couple of times around that time of year which is when the wahoo are around and have always found the fishing for these, spanish mackrel and yellowfin (if they are still around) to be great. Jigging for doggies is also great in Fiji. Haven't targeted GTs over there but have caught them trolling.

I think the key will be to get to the more remote areas as the closer grounds to the tourist spots get hammered.

We have only fished using the boats on the island we stay at (Namotu), so cant help with charter suggestions sorry.

Fishing on a honeymoon! Lucky man!

lbger
13-02-2013, 12:05 PM
I fished the local charter boats out of the mama nucca group.. It was really really average to say the least. 3 days trolling for a couple of mahi mahi and some stripies (tuna) and one scad... stayed at plantation resort which was fine but the fishing was dismal :(
The skipper i think didnt take the boat out much at all to fish but more as a taxi to snorkle etc. My advice would be to make sure the boat is a fishing boat and not a general purpose boat.

Crunchy
13-02-2013, 12:08 PM
Took a resort based 'hand line' fishing trip - one of the worse fishing trips ever. Might be worth doing a search as this has been covered before and some blokes have had good experiences on the larger non-locally operated charter vessels.

jtpython
13-02-2013, 02:11 PM
Take it from me get it in writing that
A. Your allowed to go and she not just saying it
B. There is no repercussions as a result
C. That your really really allowed to go.
When we went on our honeymoon the wife said yes we'll have a look at some boat while we are on our honeymoon well i have never been able to forget that i went looking at boats on our honeymoon cause she never lets me forget
So read the fine print buddy
:p
Once they eat that wedding cake they become different creatures
JT

rexwatto
13-02-2013, 03:07 PM
Yea mate, I went recently (November) and went out with Nadi fishing Charters (www.nadifishingcharters.com).
I paid for half day charter (4.5 hrs) - long story short we trolled and hadn't hooked anything for those 4.5 hours, so the captain kept going for another 2 hours (free of charge) and I ended up hooking a 30+kg yellowfin.
Captain's name is John - really friendly bloke, but as they run out of Nadi it's within the "tourist zone" - so of course those grounds get fished regularly.
My advice - avoid the resort charters: they only fish part time, so only have half an idea.
Good luck - enjoy the Fiji butter and Bounty rum!!!

rexwatto
13-02-2013, 03:08 PM
Fiji *bitter, there butter is nothing to write home about

Lancair
13-02-2013, 03:11 PM
I have also stayed and fished out of Plantation Island (March 2007), on the resorts boat. (approx 22' fibreglassed boat with twin 140 Yammy 2 strokes, at least it had outriggers, not much in the way of comfort though) The day before I went, they caught 3 Wahoo and a Yellowfin, the day I went we got NADA. Not a bump. I went the next day and we got NADA again, so the skipper orgsnised a refund for those who'd been two days in a row without fish (refund on the 2nd trip cost only) He swore that in all his years fishing in Fiji he had NEVER gone two days out trolling, without catching something.
A mate went to the next resort along the island, a year or two later, and caught heaps of fish, just going out with one of the locals who had an outboard longboat, the same local took my mate and others surfing.

oldjoe
13-02-2013, 03:17 PM
I agree with JT, get it in writing :)
I have been from an outer island as well, Namotu (Surfing/Fishing Island, next to Tavaroa aka Cloudbreak)
Stand up fishing, with gimble belt from a long boat....long hours of trolling but big Yellow fin, Wahoo, Cudda, and Macks
Touristy areas around Nadi will be fished out.
Enjoy

lbger
13-02-2013, 04:03 PM
pretty hard to "fish out" pelagics as they swim with the currents.. it comes down to what boat and crew ya get i say.
good advice though on getting a written permission slip on your honeymoon lol...

michael_mad_fisho
13-02-2013, 05:04 PM
What about that guy who was on ifish and fished out of savu savu. His name was kepena nelson i think thats right, he had an oldish yellow cat with even older johsons on the back, caught a few dollies, tuna, and hooked a blue or black cant remember which one, but see if you can get a hold of that episode.

frankgrimes
15-02-2013, 03:39 PM
Similar story...stayed at plantation, did a half day trip (trolling), got a few bonito that was it.

Si
15-02-2013, 06:34 PM
Similar story...stayed at plantation, did a half day trip (trolling), got a few bonito that was it.

same deal for me and lucky i bought my snapper rod as i managed to spin up a couple of skip jack tuna but all in -ordinary.

OP - i just read an article and had some contacts in it - look up Adrenlin Charters in Denarau. Have several boats including longboats, 37ft kevlacat and 50ft riviera.

Captain Seaweed
30-03-2013, 05:33 PM
Heading to Coral coast's Outrigger tomorrow, see what i can find!

Jackinthebox
30-03-2013, 07:31 PM
Fiji has a pretty big longline industry that has been going for years and mates of mine that live there for the last 20 years reckon the pelagic action along the southern side has definitely dropped off over time. Outer islands like Kadavu, now that's a different story - ridiculous wahoo, doggies & GT action. Plenty of action on fished out reef edges if you try different techniques than the usual heavy handline local style.

Tell us where you are going salad fingers & we might be able to help a little better?

sandbankmagnet
30-03-2013, 08:47 PM
I was there for my honeymoon 14 years ago in July on the coral coast. It also happened to be my 30th birthday, so I grabbed a fishing charter. I was on my own with the guide in a 20" centre console. It was rough and picking up. I remember very clearly saying to the guide as 2+ metre waves crested, this doesn't look good. Is it getting worse. His response "Very worse". We managed to pick up a school mackerel and I had a spanny on up to the boat until he tried to gaff it and lost it (I was never taking it home so it was his loss). "Spaniard. Big one" was his call.

Beats sitting at home.