PDA

View Full Version : Fuel tanks and paint query

Kram71
12-02-2013, 02:06 PM
Hi All,

I'm looking at some options for new fuel tank(s) and have a few queries that someone here might be able to answer for me... firstly plastic or stainless - what are the pros and cons for both?
Location... Given that I don't even know what size tank I'm going for yet, which may have some impact on deciding where to put it, what is the ideal location... Under the engine well, middle of the boat (say under the seats in custom boxes) or other?
Which leads to the "what size" question. I don't really have an idea of the fuel consumption of the boat, as it is still very much in the 'refurbishment' phase and hasn't seen the water for quite a while. I know there are many, many factors that will affect the fuel usage, but would anyone like to take a guess at expected fuel figures for a 17 foot fibreglass half cabin Stejcraft running an '89 Johnson 120hp 2 stroke outboard?

I'll be mostly running around the Keppel Islands close to coast of Yeppoon, river runs and so on. Not planning on going out too wide too often, so really don't need long range. Underfloor is not an option for the tanks (which is initially what I was planning to do).

Any advice, or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Also... repainting a boat name on fibreglass hull... what type of paint is best? Not looking to paint a large area, just touch up the existing boat name that is painted on the hull.

8-)

Noelm
12-02-2013, 02:24 PM
you only need to run "out wide" once to need fuel capacity! depending on the size of the tank, will determine where it goes, a "small" tank will be fine almost anywhere, a big (say 200-300L) will be best near the centre of the boat, under the floor, the old 120HP Johnson is a great motor, but does like a drink, so you will need a decent fuel tank regardless of how far you intend to fish. As far as the paint goes, I guess just about anything will be Ok for a touch up job.