PDA

View Full Version : Change trebles over to single hooks

fat-buoy
12-02-2013, 09:35 AM
I know this subject has bounced around for a while now and I went through a phase of changing all my trebles over to single octopus hooks... but the other week I lost my favourite slug for casting at the mackerel and I went out on Sunday with a new slug that still had the trebles attached.

End result was that I got a hook up every time I hit the bait boiling up and got to have a bit of fun but without fail every time the hooks would pull.. went home empty handed and frustrated.

Moral of the story (for me at least) is to bin the trebles and replace them with a good quality single hook... the hook up rate does not seem to drop off and the catch rate is increased considerably.

Each to their own on this subject but for mine I will not use the trebles again in a hurry :)

Noelm
12-02-2013, 10:06 AM
no reason a treble will pull out easier than a single, as long as the size is the same, then holding power is the same (sort of) why this happened to you on this particular day is anyones guess.

reggy
12-02-2013, 10:24 AM
Were the trebles sharp?

Nicko_Cairns
12-02-2013, 10:45 AM
i think the fish gets more leverage on a treble, especially if only hooked on one or two barbs, so easier hookups generally on a treble but better hookups generally on a single (once you get a hookup).

i have far more solid hookups with spanish macks on singles generally, but i use singles on my garfish rigs and can't be bothered changing my lures, so use trebles on the lures.

Noelm
12-02-2013, 11:25 AM
well, not exactly 100% sure that's the case, a treble only hooked by one 'hook" is in fact just a single hook isn't it? can't really see any more leverage can be exerted on a treble, I have used both for decades, and I can honestly say I don't think there is enough difference to swap from (or to) trebles, I just replace anything rusted/bent with whatever I have handy, be it a single, or a treble. But, that being said, if anyone can offer some sort of "scientific" reason I would be interested to hear from them, confidence is what it is all about, if you feel better using singles, then go for it, no use fishing all day and wishing you had have done something different.

Triple
12-02-2013, 03:04 PM
Anyone use these style double hooks to compare against trebles and singles and lure action with them?

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=double+hooks&hl=en&client=safari&tbo=d&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=1MwZUerGIMWfmQXdw4HYAw&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=320&bih=356

fat-buoy
12-02-2013, 03:25 PM
Were the trebles sharp?

Yeah Reggy the trebles were sharp... they got me a couple of times when I was getting them off the split ring :0

Only thing really that I put it down to is that the trebles were smaller than the 8/0 single that I replaced them with... I would say that the treble having the 3 hook points just didn't get enough leverage to get a solid hook up... after loosing the first one I did try to put a bit more hurt on the fish and each time would try something different but the result was always the same.. with the single bigger hook the hook up is definitely more solid and the fish rarely is able to spit a hook..

Nicko_Cairns
12-02-2013, 05:39 PM
well if one hook of the treble is in their mouth and another is against their jaw for instance, that's leverage.

well, not exactly 100% sure that's the case, a treble only hooked by one 'hook" is in fact just a single hook isn't it? can't really see any more leverage can be exerted on a treble, I have used both for decades, and I can honestly say I don't think there is enough difference to swap from (or to) trebles, I just replace anything rusted/bent with whatever I have handy, be it a single, or a treble. But, that being said, if anyone can offer some sort of "scientific" reason I would be interested to hear from them, confidence is what it is all about, if you feel better using singles, then go for it, no use fishing all day and wishing you had have done something different.

Horse
12-02-2013, 05:50 PM
I have gone back to trebles. I don't try and muscle my fish in and drop very few. I have found I convert more fish with trebles compared to singles.

Dan5
12-02-2013, 05:57 PM
A single hook usually has a wider gape and deeper/longer point so it's going to penetrate further in and hold better once in.......a treble has multiple hook points and will hook up easier but of course will not penetrate as deeply and will often pull/rip out due to this.

Dan

reggy
12-02-2013, 06:34 PM
Single assist hooks work well keeping a fish from throwing the hook on jigs because they are separated from the jig. With trebles, I guess three barbs are harder to dislodge than one.

Nicko_Cairns
13-02-2013, 05:55 AM
yeah i've got a few lures with them at home, one fish managed to remove the hook from the lure once though, so i tend to avoid them now, even if they are a super tight fit. it was probably a very unlucky incident but gave me the shits.

Anyone use these style double hooks to compare against trebles and singles and lure action with them?

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=double+hooks&hl=en&client=safari&tbo=d&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=1MwZUerGIMWfmQXdw4HYAw&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=320&bih=356

deepfried
13-02-2013, 09:22 PM
i swapped all my trebles for singles a while back but now dont bother for general spinning as i couldnt notice any change in landed fish numbers. the only times i change to singles is when i am fishing ledges full of cunji and when there are a lot of undersize fish around. I get snagged a lot less on cunji using singles and save a few a dollars. Singles are a lot easier to remove from undersize fish as well so i can get them back into the water quicker.

Noelm
14-02-2013, 07:20 AM
I have been making my own jigging and casting lures for decades and have used trebles on the bottom end (get snagged easy) and also singles on the bottom, (less snags, but SEEM to have lower hookup on Kings) and back in the 70's I used to use a single on a bit of dacron from the top (just the same as the "NEW" system now) all methods worked, all had some minor advantages over the other, to me, the single hook on the top connected by a length of line could POSSIBLY offer the fish a better chance of escape, why you ask??? well.... I kind of think that if the hook is set, and you have the heavy jig swinging around on the end of a connecting line, it MAY act as some sort of counter weight and dislodge the hook! right or wrong?? don't really know, but that's how I feel when using that system. One of the biggest drawbacks of trebles is the size, most use tiny ones compared to single hooks, whereas, I used to use a big treble on my Kingfish jigs, about the same size as a 5/0 hook (ish) similar store bought jigs had itsy bitsy trebles by comparison, so, I reckon they would pull out quite easy compared to mine. Another problem with trebles (as mentioned) is releasing unwanted catch, to me, this does not pose a huge problem though, as almost everything caught in my area is either bait or eating species, sure undersized can be a bit of a bug though. So... in summary, all methods work, all are good, all suffer some sort of drama, so use what you have confidence in (in my opinion)

macka17
17-02-2013, 09:15 AM
Hi.
It's normally better to mix to suit type of fishing. (I only use lures)

All my lures below 5 inch have trebles, or a mix. all the lures above that. and ALL the jigs have singles. with ALL barbs flattened whether single or treble hook.
You get a 6 or 8\0 hook jammed in the back of your leg. or forearm. Just once. And you'll flatten all your barbs too.
Specially when there's a decent sized fish jumping round on the other hook. and just hope you never get a circle in you.