PDA

View Full Version : Fix or turn on your nav lights

tassjo
10-02-2013, 03:49 PM
Took the admiral out yesterday early morning for a fish without the kids .Got the boat in the water around 3.00am (st george motor boat club botany bay).I was not impressed with the amount of vessels(boats/tinnies)that have no lights on or not all operational.I thought that while anchored you must have the stern light on ,thats if these f?????? TINNIES have any,NOT much moon out last night so visibility not that great,even had a boat go past at warp speed only with port & starbord lights.

I spent my hard earned $ on my boat & dont feel like killing some one or damaging my boat for the sake of a few lights,if the skippers of these boats only care about a good feed then i suggest go to the sydney fish markets & stay of the f?????? water.As for the 2 kayaks on the water just past captain cooks bridge get the f out of the water until day light or get some sort of lights fitted,thats my beef for the day, but please check you lights

Feral
10-02-2013, 04:48 PM
Dunno about down south but in Qld
if your anchored you must have your all round white light on (If a registered boat) (unless your in a berth of course)
Kayaks are not required to have lights, only a white light they are able to display when they get close to someone. (IE they must have a torch handy they can turn on and wave at someone heading towards them)

My pet hate - boofheads who troll with no lights on.

tassjo
10-02-2013, 04:51 PM
The torch want be much good to them or me when i run over them doing 20k,

feral cat
10-02-2013, 05:16 PM
For this reason i got radar.Had to many close encounters as i do alot of night fishing.Way to many idiots in tin can bay straights with no lights as well.

no chicken tonight
11-02-2013, 09:18 AM
everyone should be aware, that if they run into an unlit vessel, they are still partly at fault. Especially if it is in a waterway where you know it is likely to encounter an unlit vessel or object.

Noelm
12-02-2013, 08:47 AM
Dunno about down south but in Qld
if your anchored you must have your all round white light on (If a registered boat) (unless your in a berth of course)
My pet hate - boofheads who troll with no lights on.
Nothing to do with being in QLD, the lighting/navigation laws are a world wide standard.

fat-buoy
12-02-2013, 09:11 AM
A few years back I was heading out for a pre dawn fish from the Mooloolah River (Sunshine Coast).. as I got to the mouth of the river I was just about to put the boat on the plane and was starting to increase my speed when I couldn't quite make out the lights in front of me.. usually there are lights from the surrounding suburbs or beacons but this time the stars and all the normal lights just looked weird.. that is when I realised that there was a big arse sailing yacht entering the channel and was side on across the middle of the mouth as they came to turn in... they had the allround light lit only and it was that high up on the mast that I thought it was a star and the other lights were being blocked by the yacht.... luckily I didn't roar off at 20 knots into the side of the thing as it was a dark night and I have my bleary morning eyes in... scared the crap out of me!!!

daveo17
12-02-2013, 11:50 AM
everyone should be aware, that if they run into an unlit vessel, they are still partly at fault. Especially if it is in a waterway where you know it is likely to encounter an unlit vessel or object.

were did you get your facts from sounds off to me.

Noelm
12-02-2013, 12:06 PM
the words "keeping an good look out" certainly spring to mind, if you crash into someone, even though they had no lights, you were going too fast for the lookout to see the imminent danger directly ahead of you. Right or wrong?? who knows, but lets hope no one has to find out hey!