PDA

View Full Version : How to Build a Fridge or Icebox

stevemid
10-02-2013, 08:11 AM
You may have seen my post on this on my catamaran build thread, but I thought I'd pull this together in one thread for others, especially since I read some good info in my Isotherm manual for the fridge kit I bought.

From Spirited Designs:

Letting all the cold out of a fridge every time you open the door has always been ridiculous to me on a boat. To build a good box is relatively easy. Use as thick a foam as possible. The advantage of making your own box is that you can also make it to suit the shape of the boat and utilize all available space. The foam to use is Urethane foam, this is low density, closed cell-doesn't absorb water and easy to work. Cut with a handsaw (I used a sliding bed table saw to get my box pieces perfectly rectangular) and shape with a sanding board. It is critical to get your joins as close as possible but if you have gaps you can fill them with wedges of the same foam. Glue together with 411 medium density filler and glass internally with a minimum of 400gm’s of glass (double on the bottom). I usually use plainweave to minimize fairing. You can also laminate your pieces of the box separately and glue together after. In most cases a cove of high density glue in the corners is all I have ever done, no taping required. The lid can be tricky but if you can work out a way of cutting this at an angle to avoid jamming this can be quite neat. Here again the aim is to avoid gaps. I usually then glue on the piece of benchtop which becomes your lid. Fit the hinges to this. For this pipes/wires to access the box glue in a piece of conduit to the min size.

The foam (this is the green stuff) can be bought through FGI (Nuplex) in Sydney. A 50mm sheet, 1200 X2400 cost me $140.94

This is from the Isotherm manual which I read after I build my box.

The refrigerator must be well insulated. Use polyurethane or similar foam 30mm thick for 50 litre boxes, 50mm thick for boxes up to 80 litres and 100mm or more for larger boxes.

Battery capacity should be at least 75Ah to enable sufficient power to be stored during engine operation.

Please feel free to add your own bits of knowdedge or advice.

Chimo
10-02-2013, 08:24 AM
which I read after I build my box

Good boy Steve!
Cheers
Chimo

Alchemy
10-02-2013, 10:26 AM
Steve,

I think in most cases 50mm (green stuff) will be ample. On my boat though I opted for 100mm (50mm for the lids). I went this way due to the tropical climate and to give the best outcome for extended periods at sea. I have two boxes, each about 100 litres and I used an Isotherm system (with Danfoss BD50 compressor) with plate evaporator in each. This gives me the flexibility to run one as a fridge, the other as a freezer or both as fridges or freezers. My boxes were built as part of the boat build by Origin Boats, but I fitted the refrigeration systems once I got the boat home. My power source is two 120 a/h Fullriver deep cycle batteries and charge comes from two 130 watt solar panels and also from my 120 amp alternator.

Regards,
Dave.

stevemid
11-02-2013, 05:52 PM
Dave, If you're using it as a freezer, I'm assuming you're putting fresh fish in there. Can you give me an example of how long it takes to freeze a given amount of fish solid?
Steve

Alchemy
11-02-2013, 06:21 PM
Steve, the main use for the freezer is to hold bait, food and some spare ice. All product goes in frozen. I don't freeze fish at sea due to the law in Qld that states all fillets taken off at sea must be at least 40cm (with skin and scales left on). The longest trip we've done is two weeks at sea and the shorter trips are usually only one night, sometimes two. On the short trips the freezer is just bait and ice. It will freeze drink bottles, cans of soft drink etc overnight though.

All my fish on the short trips goes into a brine slurry in the big esky (which has 50mm green foam). This gets down to -8c and keeps the fish in first class condition. On the long trip we just took enough fish for meals as we wanted it and didn't worry about bringing fish home.

Regards,
Dave.

Horse
11-02-2013, 07:14 PM
I am about to put in a replacement fridge freezer in my brothers motor sailer. I am planning a combination fridge freezer of about 130L. It will be using a spill over control valve to transfer cold air from the freezer side of things. I will be only going to 75mm due to space constraints.
Just a word of warning on the green urathane "closed cell" insulation. It does absorb water when not sealed fully. Many boat refridgeration systems have failed because of this. It must be fully sealed if used constantly

Alchemy
11-02-2013, 07:47 PM
Horse, moisture absorption is a problem in most refrigeration insulation products and as such a vapour seal that encapsulates all insulation is a must. My boxes have aluminium outer skins and are fully fibreglassed internally. The other thing to watch is that if the internal liner is a conductive material such as aluminium that a breaker strip is used. The breaker strip is material such as plastic that breaks the internal liner so that heat transfer between the outer skin and inner liner doesn't occur. The breaker strip would be placed at the opening/door of the box. This strip too must have a vapour seal. If the breaker strip isn't used then you will be fighting a losing battle.

So far as the spill over valve goes, I have one if you want it ($50 plus postage). I used it for a short time before I refrigerated the second box.

Regards,
Dave.