PDA

View Full Version : Weighty bum

The-easyrider
10-02-2013, 07:00 AM
Guys, mine as all girls seem to do is getting a bit heavy in the rear end so in an effort to redistribute some weight in the boat I am looking at moving the batteries forward to just inside the cabin. This will mean a cable run of about 4 m from the isolator. So the questions I have to ponder are what size cables would i need to use, where would be a good place to buy cables. Also I presume that a common earth cable would be acceptable. Your wise input would be most welcome

tunaticer
10-02-2013, 08:04 AM
"Getting heavy in the bum" ??? are you changing something like motor or tank positions etc to make it heavier or is there water in your bilge?

Chimo
10-02-2013, 08:18 AM
Have you got a foil on your motor?

Do you have trim tabs ie Lencos or Bennets ie flat plates?

Both of the above did deal well with the issue that was caused by 4 batteries and 2 oil bottles not to mention 2 motors. imho batteries like a soft ride that they get in the "bum"

C
C

peterbo3
10-02-2013, 10:06 AM
The battery cable size will depend on your starter motor amperage draw. AWG2 (35mm˛) with 105 deg C insulation is good for around 200 Amps & will suit most engines. An 8 meter return run using 35mm˛ will result in a small voltage drop but should be OK. The cable length is calculated from the battery to the engine itself, not to the battery switch. Do you know what your starter motor(s) currently pulls? By common earth, do you mean a single (-) cable for your start & house batteries.
As for cable, I have a heap of Tycab AWG2 (Oz made) that I can fit up for you. PM me if you are interested.

Cheech
10-02-2013, 10:18 AM
I did the same thing a few years ago. Cost me about $150.00 to get tehcables made up. I used welding cable, and the place I got it from attached the connectors on the ends.

The-easyrider
10-02-2013, 10:57 AM
The boat came with a ss swim platform you can see it the avatar pic I have since added a big built in tackle box and am about to move the live bait tank from infloor to out the back. When we do longer family trips I hang a tender and out board off the back as well. Already have foil just figure that moving a bit of weight forward will help the cause