PDA

View Full Version : Uhlman Rd ramp on Caboolture River

PixieAU
09-02-2013, 07:52 PM
Went for a wander down there today to fill in some time and have a look at the water. The ramp itself looks the goods, double width with a small (mud) beach area at low tide and a good car park.

But I got talking to a fella there and he mentioned there are security problems at the ramp. He said broken windows with vehicles cleaned out or stolen trailers was becoming commonplace there. Personal safety also seems to be a problem there at times with some drug addled folks using the area as their hangout.

He mentioned the police occasionally patrol and sometimes they'll round up some troublemakers/crims but not enough to deter them. He said that often a motorbike will come down, do a reconnaissance of the car park and then be followed up with others coming down in a car to raid the car park.

While talking to this fella, the police did drive past, which was good to see. Then, sure enough, a few minutes after the police left a trail bike came down, did a quick lap of the car park and then took off. Apparently this gives the greatest window of opportunity between patrols. With a few people still at the ramp and car park it seemed unlikely to have any dodgy activity although this fella did say his car was broken into (at the Beachmere ramp) in the middle of the day with people around who didn't even think to take a rego number.

Spoke to another couple of regulars who also said they're always pleased to see their vehicle at still in the carpark when they get back and the bonus is having no broken windows.

This state of affairs is disappointing to me because I had thought this ramp might have saved me a bit of a drive to Spinnaker Sound or even Beachmere ramp. Despite the busyness of Spinnaker Sound and the occasional lack of car parks, the regular turn over and traffic must provide a more secure environment for parked cars.

For anyone in the know, is the above description a fair assessment of this ramp or has the problem been overstated?

Mrs Ronnie H
09-02-2013, 08:05 PM
Hi
I don't know about the Uhlman road ramp but the Beachmere one seems ok at present. We haven't had or heard of any problems for awhile now. I wouldn't leave my car and trailer overnight though.
If we are going out for longer than a few hours we usually take the car and trailer home and walk back to the ramp.
For a more secure area you are right in saying Spinnaker. Not had a problem there.

Mrs H

tunaticer
09-02-2013, 09:56 PM
It is a fair assessment based on several years damages and losses I have heard of. That is not to say that it is currently in a bad or good way though. I don't use that ramp anymore, I go to Beachmere or Spinaker.

Feral
10-02-2013, 05:55 AM
No, its the same as most ramps, isolated and occasionally things go walkies, but not often.
Been fishing there for years and never had an issue.
If you want to go out overnight I wouldn't park there, not because I would be worried about things getting flogged, but its the local hoons favourite spot for circle work, and their likely to loss control in to your vehicle / trailer.
Coppers are down there all the time, particularly at night, the kids are really dumb and keep coming back for more tickets.....

If I overnight from there, I'm in the Caboolture River fishing and Boating club, their camping grounds are just up the road opposite the phone tower. I put car and trailer up there and get one of the boys to run me back down the ramp. Takes about 5 minutes longer than parking up at the ramp, gives me piece of mind.

Prowl n Wolf
10-02-2013, 05:58 AM
g'day pixie, never used the uhlmun ramp so can only comment on the beachmere and spinnikers ramp. as mrs h said i have'nt heard of any trouble at my home ramp and with the new pontoon in there is always people around which makes it harder for the shifty buggers. the only ramp i would leave my car in at night is spinnikers. regards, tony.

softplasticsdude79
10-02-2013, 06:16 AM
I have used Ulhman rd ramp for up to 7 years,100+ visits,a few overnighters and havnt had a problem yet.

QuinTin
11-02-2013, 05:44 PM
was out with mate few hours at night years ago and his trailer was stolen and we were fishing on other side river from ramp
never saw a thing did use it overnight just before xmas and car/ boat was thier next morning but was worrying me all night
dont trust it much but