PDA

View Full Version : Cruise Craft Outsider 750 Reborn

Grim Reefer 750
08-02-2013, 10:24 AM
Hi Guys, just like to share some pics of my project boat - Cruise Craft Outsider 750, originally fitted factory with a 5.0l Stern drive. I bought this boat with the intentions of having a hull extension pod fitted, as well as a hardtop. Other repairs and mods were also completed. My boat project is slowly coming to a finish and just cant wait to have her back on the water. it has been a long journey with no boat while most others are catching fish and posting pics on here.

Thanks Don.:)

Chimo
08-02-2013, 10:50 AM
Looks good. What motor (s) are you going to fit?

Be interested to see it side on in the water once the motor is on.

Assume the wet box is inside the hull and the bolts secure the pod? Does the hull drain out thru the pod?

Who did the hard top / pod?

Cheers
Chimo

Grim Reefer 750
08-02-2013, 11:04 AM
Looks good. What motor (s) are you going to fit?

Be interested to see it side on in the water once the motor is on.

Assume the wet box is inside the hull and the bolts secure the pod? Does the hull drain out thru the pod?

Who did the hard top / pod?

Cheers
Chimo

Hi Chimo - My dream motors were to be two 175 HP outboards, but finances restricted me back to a single 300 HP 2 stroke. The wet box is for a Lowrance hds 10 with structure scan. I also mounted the through hull structure scan transducer to the bottom of the keel. The self draining deck is still original and drains just beside the outer of pod and under the duckboard, yes the hull drains out through the pod. The bolts and fish plates are an extra added safety feature for the pod installation, the guys who made this all happen for me were Arnolds Fibreglass at Hemmant. Thanks guys!! i have also had the boat proffessionally mod plated to suit a 350 HP outboard. PS - BOAT definitely = Bring Out Another Thousand. but will be worth it in the end. There are other pics in my photo gallery. Will be posting more pics later!

Cheers Don

jtpython
08-02-2013, 12:24 PM
Definatly a nice job on the restoration looks awesome
JT

FisHard
08-02-2013, 12:52 PM
Going to be a cracking big boat when you're done! Awesome job.

johncar
08-02-2013, 05:56 PM
Yes she is shaping up very nicely by your pics, I didn't know they built such a model. Will be interesting to hear how she goes when all powered up.
All the best

Prowl n Wolf
08-02-2013, 06:18 PM
g'day don, what an awesome job so far! that cc looks like the one that was for sale around the corner from me in beachmere. great job mate regards, tony.

ovakil
08-02-2013, 06:26 PM
When I made my hardtop,I have similar bar to you. When I took boat out the roof would shake from side to side,so I had to put 2 diagonal braces from half way down (just below windscreen) to centre of hull.That stopped all movement.
Just my 0.02c.
Looks nice.

Grim Reefer 750
08-02-2013, 06:32 PM
g'day don, what an awesome job so far! that cc looks like the one that was for sale around the corner from me in beachmere. great job mate regards, tony.

Hi Tony - yes thats the one, gave the trailer an overhaul, only used the boat a few times with Sterndrive. Awesome boat but way to thirsty. More deck space now without the inboard. Lost some weight but added it back in with the pod and hardtop.

Don

Prowl n Wolf
08-02-2013, 06:41 PM
great stuff don! i used to walk the dog past that boat every morning and think with a bit of love that cruisey would be an awesome boat. certainly looks like its on its way. regards, tony.

Grim Reefer 750
08-02-2013, 08:11 PM
When I made my hardtop,I have similar bar to you. When I took boat out the roof would shake from side to side,so I had to put 2 diagonal braces from half way down (just below windscreen) to centre of hull.That stopped all movement.
Just my 0.02c.
Looks nice.

That was one of my main concerns with the hardtop build, i spoke to the stainless fabricators several times about movement. Seems very strong so far but only the water test will reveal its true strength. Fingers crossed!!!

Spaniard_King
08-02-2013, 09:13 PM
Have you put it on the weigh bridge??

Grim Reefer 750
09-02-2013, 06:20 AM
Hi Garry - not as yet, the only figures I have are from the original Outsider 750 brochure which was for the engine well -outboard model. The boat I have is the only stern drive model produced apparently.

Don

Grim Reefer 750
09-02-2013, 07:46 AM
Yes she is shaping up very nicely by your pics, I didn't know they built such a model. Will be interesting to hear how she goes when all powered up.
All the best

Hi Johncar - here is the original brochure for the Outsider 750. Only 30 built apparently.

Cheers Don

WHY KNOT
09-02-2013, 07:50 AM
Hi Don, she is starting to look great. Will you be making any changes to the cabin interior? Aslo will you be re installing trim tabs? - She realy needed them on a crosswind.

Grim Reefer 750
09-02-2013, 08:03 AM
Hi Don, she is starting to look great. Will you be making any changes to the cabin interior? Aslo will you be re installing trim tabs? - She realy needed them on a crosswind.

Hi Hardus - Yes mate, tabs will be going back on. New ones as one ram mount bracket broken. Looking at the bennet tabs with auto function, clears still to be made, as well as new side cushions, total re wire, install all other accessories, new vhf & aerials, usb / cd player, bilge pump, deck wash pump, bait tank pump, some more decals ( outsider 750 ) on cab. Boat name decals. Regards the interior it will have to wait till much later, have more important things to finish first. I'm going to be very busy when i get her home.

Keep in touch.
Cheers Don

johncar
09-02-2013, 09:45 PM
Good to have a project I say,, yeah well I thought I kept an eye on the different models over the years, must have missed that one.
Anyway thanks for the view of the details brochure. I see on their brochure a max HP of 250, I guess you have done your homework so a 300HP will be OK.

Grim Reefer 750
10-02-2013, 07:15 AM
Good to have a project I say,, yeah well I thought I kept an eye on the different models over the years, must have missed that one.
Anyway thanks for the view of the details brochure. I see on their brochure a max HP of 250, I guess you have done your homework so a 300HP will be OK.

Hi Johncar - My first thoughts on the Outboard were to keep it simple & stay with the Original boat plate of 250 HP, but for the extra dollars for another 50 HP I soon changed my mind. Next steps followed with chasing up someone to inspect the boat & the hull extension pod build. Photo's were required and luckily I had taken enough to satisfy the surveyor. As you can imagine this also comes at a cost, but now the boat is plated to take a 350HP outboard. I always say better to have too much power and not need it, then to need it and not have it.

Cheers Don.

Grim Reefer 750
16-02-2013, 01:44 AM
Latest update - Finally the time had come - yes the outboard install is complete, not wasting anytime, in the Cruiser and straight down to Brissy for the test run. Awesome sight seeing the new 300 HP outboard on the pod instead of the old stern drive. My first thoughts were, that'll put a horn on a jellyfish!! Anyway down to the river for the launch, trailers backed in the water, waiting for the Tech to start the engine before we release the safety. Righto start her up will you i say, he replies its already running, gees i couldn't even hear it, so quiet. Well we gave it a few power runs, hole shot tests & top end runs. Must say it goes a shitload better than the 5.0l inboard. lol. Top speed 42 knots - 5900 rpm. I might have to fit seat belts to the boat now, awesome hole shot, pays to be holding on tight. Cruise speed at 25 knots was about 3800 rpm. Can't wait to get her home, finish off the accessories and go fishin!

Cheers Don.

Chimo
16-02-2013, 06:05 AM
Very nice Don.
How did the hardtop behave? Any sideways movement?
What motors did you compare before the final choice?

Cheers
Chimo

Spaniard_King
16-02-2013, 07:25 AM
Well done Don, I hope it serves you well.

Did you keep the same fuel tank?? How much does she hold?

Grim Reefer 750
16-02-2013, 08:28 AM
Very nice Don.
How did the hardtop behave? Any sideways movement?
What motors did you compare before the final choice?

Cheers
Chimo

Hi Chimo - The hardtop is good so far, did the 3 person shake at the build shop, doesn't shake under tow on the highway at 100klm/h. The old canopy use to shake bad on the road at 60klm/h,and on smooth water in the river - Top speed on the water with inboard was 30 knots. Only the true test of offshore will determine its true strength.
Regards to outboard choice - went with Evinrude Etec as less weight on the pod, also dollars were a deciding factor. Also $1750 cash back from BRP. I realise the Etec cops a lot of flack on here I guess I'll find out for myself. I did look at all other leading brands. Hey we would all love a big 4 stroke motor. I'm happy so far with the choice, let me get her finished and in the water for some serious offshore trips, will keep you posted how it performs.

Cheers Don.

Grim Reefer 750
16-02-2013, 08:42 AM
Well done Don, I hope it serves you well.

Did you keep the same fuel tank?? How much does she hold?

Hi Garry - the same fuel tank resides midship, she holds 350 litres. Thinking about an extra tank about 100 litres where the old inboard sat. This way no more jerry cans, might even be able to join the Swains trailer boat club.

Cheers Don

Spaniard_King
16-02-2013, 09:29 AM
This guy is good http://liquidcontainment.com.au/category/9/Boat-/-Car

He does a 200Litre for about $440.00.. when its empty just roll up and put in a side pocket... you still have all that storage

FisHard
16-02-2013, 11:25 AM
You'd have to be happy with those performance figures on such a big boat! The beauty of the Etec you can run it flat out straight from the box! Do you have fuel flow gauges to tell you what she's drinking?

Grim Reefer 750
16-02-2013, 06:15 PM
You'd have to be happy with those performance figures on such a big boat! The beauty of the Etec you can run it flat out straight from the box! Do you have fuel flow gauges to tell you what she's drinking?

Hi FisHard - yes flow gauges part of the package, using 38 Litres per Hour by the flow meter at 25 Knots 3800 rpm. Against the tide. Pretty thirsty at 42 knots, 100 L / HR.

Cheers Don.

FisHard
16-02-2013, 07:05 PM
Still only 2.5l/nm at full noise. Those figures would compare favourably with most rigs that size. Look forward to some trip reports from you in the beast (assuming we EVER get any decent weather again)

Grim Reefer 750
08-03-2013, 08:06 AM
Hi Ausfishers, I have some more pics to share. Finally after the heavy rains the new boat name & graphics have been finished. Still haven't decided how to do the Outsider 750 on the cab.

Cheers Don.

Corry
08-03-2013, 09:16 AM
Well done with the rebuild, ya gotta be happy with it all. Love the CC's.

Who designed/drew your graphics? We had a hell of a time finding someone to design a logo for our pub.

Corry

Grim Reefer 750
08-03-2013, 11:32 AM
Well done with the rebuild, ya gotta be happy with it all. Love the CC's.

Who designed/drew your graphics? We had a hell of a time finding someone to design a logo for our pub.

Corry

Hi Corry - A local sticker/ signwriter guy in Bundy came up with the finished design, i just gave them some pics to work with. Coming up with a boat name you can put graphics to was the hardest part. Here are some other names i thought about. - Revenge, Velocity, Wet Me, I'm Wet, Predator, Winch It, Get Reel. There are thousands of names out there - choosing which one can be a challenge!

Don

Angryant
09-03-2013, 05:09 PM
What did you do with the gelcoat? New gelcoat or 2 pac? In any case it looiks really nice.
Angry

Grim Reefer 750
09-03-2013, 06:03 PM
What did you do with the gelcoat? New gelcoat or 2 pac? In any case it looiks really nice.
Angry

Hi Angry - All the old decals were taken off, one thing led to another, so ended up with a two pak respray on the sides, the hull extension already had to be painted. Top deck has had a buff, still needs polish and wax after i finish fitting the new decals.

Cheers Don

Grim Reefer 750
10-03-2013, 08:18 AM
Fellow Ausfishers - The boat is almost finished, just waiting on this shitty weather to leave Qld & out we go to fish some deep water. Some more pics below, these LED strip lights are Awesome!

Cheers Don.

Bull
10-03-2013, 10:10 AM
Well done Don she looks awesome. Bet your itching to get out and catch a few.

Cheers Brett

Grim Reefer 750
10-03-2013, 09:53 PM
Well done Don she looks awesome. Bet your itching to get out and catch a few.

Cheers Brett

Hi Brett - Yes its been awhile since i've had her out for a trip, cant wait to launch her. All new gear to try out, structure scan, bait tank set up, deck wash etc. I'll be happy to be cruisin around first up, catching fish will be a bonus.

Cheers Don. PS - I see your at clareview with a big boat, lucky bugger.

uripper
10-03-2013, 09:56 PM
Hi Hardus - Yes mate, tabs will be going back on. New ones as one ram mount bracket broken. Looking at the bennet tabs with auto function, clears still to be made, as well as new side cushions, total re wire, install all other accessories, new vhf & aerials, usb / cd player, bilge pump, deck wash pump, bait tank pump, some more decals ( outsider 750 ) on cab. Boat name decals. Regards the interior it will have to wait till much later, have more important things to finish first. I'm going to be very busy when i get her home.

Keep in touch.
Cheers Don

respectfully suggest you do some more research re Trim Tab choice - plenty of info on this site ... had Bennetts (never again) way too complicated electric /hydraulic system prone to failure ... now got Lenco electrics ... simple electric system with FAST response .... just my experience IMHO

Awesome project ... well done ... happy times :-))

Mal M