PDA

View Full Version : Transom repair

tangled-lines
08-02-2013, 02:26 AM
I'm adding this post for informational purposes only, and hoping it might be helpful for others with similar problems. I'm no expert with fibreglass, but this seems to have worked for me. I mention WEST system epoxy in this post, and if you do a search, you will quickly find they have some excellent videos and articles/books for download on the use of this material. All I can say is it is bloody tough stuff. Just allow a few drops to get between two sheets of marine ply accidentally and try to pull them apart the next day, you will need a pry bar, and the epoxy doesnt give way, the marine ply is what comes undone.

A while back had some issues with cracking of the gelcoat where the transom meets the outboard well. A fibreglass repairer said it was a soft transom,but the transom core felt quite solid, so I guessed it was due to excess flexing of the outboard on the transom. I recalled a grounding sometime earlier, and my outboard sits on an alloy transom block whcih raises it a few inches. Had thought about this when I installed a new outboard, and the dealer felt it was advantageous to keep the alloy block as this keeps the power head up away from the salt water.

The cracks went right throught to the interior, and I could feel them opening up slightly when applying force to the outboard leg. My mates all said all fibreglass boats develop gelcoat cracks, nothing to worry about. But it all meant fatigue to me.

The solution for me was to take the outboard off, and grind out the cracked areas thoroughly, ensuring a rough key for the new glass.

Instead of using the original material of polyester resin, I went to the superior WEST system epoxy. I wet the area first with straight catalysed epoxy to promote a good bond, using acetone to wipe the area clean first, then followed a number of stagered layers of biaxial glass cloth, possibly some double bias as well, then some epoxy bog to finsh off before gelcoating.

On the inside, I ground out the cracks, filled these with an epoxy bog and laid glass/epoxy immediately over the bog while it was still wet, which seems to promote adhesion as well as smoothing out the radius of the bog. I also noticed that the interior outboard well was adhered to the transom by bog alone, so I ground that back, and laid some epoxy resin and glass cloth layers to boost the strength in this area as well.

Since doing this, there have been no more signs of flexing/cracking in this area again, probably stronger than it ever was.

Have attached some photos of the damage, and after repair. The outer transom isnt like original, needs a lot more cosmetic repairing, but you can see that the area hasnt cracked, and the repaired photos were taken tonight, a good year after the repairing.

gazza2006au
08-02-2013, 03:10 PM
those two screws u circled might be leaking water into your wood transom making the wood soft and flexing take out the screws drill a slightly larger hole and see if the plywood is wet if not refill the hole with resin than drill a smaller hole for the screw

tangled-lines
08-02-2013, 10:12 PM
Did all that during the repair, had the same thought myself at the time, so far no sign of it reopening or flexing.

sharkcat one
09-02-2013, 08:52 PM
Just a few things to remember if using epoxy for repairs. Epoxy will stick to polyester and vinylester resin , but poly and vinyl resins will not stick to epoxy resin. So this means that gelcoat and flowcoat will not stick to your epoxy repair, unless you buy an additive to add to your gelcoat or flowcoat , If you don't use the additive you will need to use 2-pac . If you have used gelcoat or flowcoat over the top of your epoxy repair it might look ok now but within a few months the gel or flowcoat will crack and flake away.

Cheers
Scott

sharkcat one
09-02-2013, 09:52 PM
JB sniper placed a Dislike to my post. West system is bought into the country by ATL which are located on the Gold Coast. If you ask any of their rep's if what I said is true, the answer will be the same as I have stated.

Cheers
Scott

JB sniper
09-02-2013, 10:13 PM
Sharkcat one or Scott I didn't place a dislike to your post mate, and if I did it was by pure accident I'm relatively new to ausfish and I take everyone's advice all the same. Sorry if I've offended you. But I know nothing about the west system at all so couldn't even begin to comment on it.

Cheers JB

sharkcat one
09-02-2013, 10:47 PM
Hi mate,
I'm not offened , it's all good.

Cheers
Scott

Stewey
10-02-2013, 08:55 AM
Shark one, for your info,

http://www.westsystem.com/ss/polyester-over-epoxy

tangled-lines
11-02-2013, 10:19 PM
Good comment, have also heard that an epoxy repair can tear away from the polyester base due to the differential properties of material toughness or hardness, as well as the fact that one is dealing with principles of both a physical and chemical bond issues. With this in mind, I used 40-80 grit paper to prep all surfaces for the epoxy repair, as well as the gelcoat application . Epoxy also has the problem of blushing so its important to sand it well after it has cured. Ive also heard its important to let epoxy cure well before applying polyester over it. I guess its trial and error. The gelcoat hasnt cracked or peeled since application, and that was in 2011, but I did make sure the surface was rough to enhance a mechanical bond, and everything else was well reinforced to minimise flexing. Ive had the same problem with applying gelcoat/flowcoat to old gelcoat/polyester, but have since realised this was due to too fine a grade of sandpaper for the surface prep.

I'm no expert on boat building or repair. I added this post to say this is what I had, this is what I did, and so far it seems to have worked. Most importantly though, is that I hear that gelcoat cracking is a common event, even in new hulls. The manufacturers often say its just due to flexing, but its worth looking closer and making sure the crack isnt just confined to the gelcoat. In my case the laminates below the gelcoat had failed as well.