PDA

View Full Version : Hydraulic Steering Cylinder replacement

No Fear
07-02-2013, 09:20 PM
Hi all,

Been tidying a few things up on my boat and found the old hydraulic steering cylinder and ram are on their last legs.
Repair is not really an option so just thought I would ask what people suggest as the best replacement. The morse steering helm appears fine but whatever cylinder I get will need to be compatible with a readily available helm when it is time to replace this.

Have been down Marine Control systems and they have recommended their marcon brand. They appear to be highly respected so will most likely go with this but just thought I would ask to see what others think.

Whatever I get needs to be relatively heavy duty as it will be going in a single inboard sterndrive sharkcat and under way, steering can be a bit heavy.

Any thoughts on brands, prices & quality would be appreciated.

thylacene
07-02-2013, 10:23 PM
A important as brand is ensuring that you have the correct volume cylinder. Matching the helm to the cylinder will ensure it is easy to steer. When our boat was setup initially, the cylinder had to be swapped to suit the motor (steering helm fitted at factory) and the replacement was a different volume, very heavy to steer. The dealer sent me the matching helm for that cylinder and I swapped them over, and what a difference it made.