PDA

View Full Version : Beware....Bullrouts in Maroochy River

gruntahunta
07-02-2013, 07:21 AM
With all the fresh in the river from the recent rain there are lots of Bullrouts in the river. I got spiked by one which was in my pots yesterday when removing them, there were about 5 in each pot.

Sting was very painful, throbbed for nearly 2 hours and swelled up, immediately. Don,t let your kids touch these buggers, they hurt big time.

Mrs Ronnie H
07-02-2013, 07:27 AM
Hi
Nasty little buggers. Young fella up in Cairns stepped on one and must of been very painfull as he just screamed. Best thing if yo do happen to get spiked is hot water. thats what they did at the hospital. Hot as you can stand it.
Mate had one in his fish tank and would nearly attach each time he went to feed it.

Good advice for people that don't really know what they are.

Mrs H

Crunchy
07-02-2013, 09:23 AM
I'd never even heard of them before....

http://www.qm.qld.gov.au/Find+out+about/Animals+of+Queensland/Fishes/Venomous+fishes/Bullrout

tunaticer
07-02-2013, 12:33 PM
Yeah the routs are a ton of fun and plenty to be had. worst part is they look like weed and leaf litter in the pots or the cast nets if you do not pay close attention.

kingcray
07-02-2013, 01:18 PM
yep mongrel things! always catch them in the cast net at night chasing prawns around deep water bend in the pine.
You dont see them until they are hanging out of your finger

Dignity
08-02-2013, 08:10 PM
Hi
Nasty little buggers. Young fella up in Cairns stepped on one and must of been very painfull as he just screamed. Best thing if yo do happen to get spiked is hot water. thats what they did at the hospital. Hot as you can stand it.
Mate had one in his fish tank and would nearly attach each time he went to feed it.

Good advice for people that don't really know what they are.

Mrs H
Got spiked with a scorpion cod and my mate had his thermos of hot water to make coffee, we used that and ever since I take a thermos with me, never made coffee yet but it is always there.

Grim Reefer 750
08-02-2013, 08:28 PM
Heard a story from years ago, along Kirby's wall in the Burnett River Bundaberg a guy was catching bullrouts and keeping them in his keeper thinking they were a rock cod. Said he was doing okay had a good feed to take home. lol. Beats me how he didnt get stung!

Donkeyzmilk
08-02-2013, 11:29 PM
never seen one but i'l keep an eye out now.. thx for the info

Zippidy
09-02-2013, 08:29 AM
Stood on one as a young fella out at Colleges Crossing. It sucked.

hookinin
09-02-2013, 10:26 AM
If i walk down through the paddock from home and put the pots in the maroochy we often get bullrouts but i guess you have to expect that this far up. Its amazing how many are around when we have some fresh and hard to see with all the leaves and crap you get int pots at the same time.
Gaven

ubar
13-02-2013, 07:45 AM
Cheers fpr the info guys as ive never even heard of them but now will pay more attention when grabbing the pots. I got stung by a box Jelly fish once and that was great fun...not.

pipifin
13-02-2013, 09:17 AM
different to a happy moment??

cuzzamundi
13-02-2013, 03:44 PM
Yeah Pipifin, the Bullrout is shaped similar to that three-eyed googlie in your avatar, and the Happy Moment is flatter like a batfish/trevally (I think they're a type of trevally). Both are a bitch to be stung by, and both stings respond to hot water.

Cuzza