PDA

View Full Version : Anyone familiar with this model?

gford001
05-02-2013, 01:58 PM
Now after weeks and weeks of shopping around for my first boat. I've found it. Had a heap of boats that looked good in the photos, but turned out to have something wrong.
This boats advertised as a "20ft Caribbean". Looks good, had my boat guru mate check it over and it checks out (as luck would have it, he knows the seller quite well, and trusts what he has to say).
Only thing is I have no idea what the model would be, have looked at a million photos of Caribbeans and nothing looks quite the same (CrestCutter came close though).
Anyone have any idea what model this is?
Got a great looking hull, looks a bit like a Baron, but once again the windows are different.....
Anyone have any ideas? Pretty sure I am 100% on this choice. It fits nicely into my "most boat I can get for under $10K criteria....."

Cheers

ozynorts
05-02-2013, 02:09 PM
It looks like a commodore but the front screen is different. Has the front screen ever been replaced?

gford001
05-02-2013, 02:13 PM
No idea.....

Just googled the commodore, that looks pretty close.
Havent seen any with that style front screen. Kind of threw me .....

wayno60
05-02-2013, 02:31 PM
I dont know if they ever changed their shape but this one has the spilt windows and tha cabin is a different shape at the front.

88829this one is a newer model but still has the V in the front of the cabin...

ozynorts
05-02-2013, 03:15 PM
No idea.....

Just googled the commodore, that looks pretty close.
Havent seen any with that style front screen. Kind of threw me .....
Size wise it is the closest. The crestcutter is only 17ft long and the Baron is only 18ft.
Would the current owner know if the front screen was changed?

thylacene
05-02-2013, 06:35 PM
I dont know if they ever changed their shape but this one has the spilt windows and tha cabin is a different shape at the front.

88829this one is a newer model but still has the V in the front of the cabin...

As luck would have it, examples of both the boat you are looking at, and the one in the quoted post are at the caravan park o ur camp is at at Bermagui. The boat in the quoted post is a Bertram 20, and is a very different boat to the one you are looking at. Bloody nice boat, and a 1966 model to boot, the gy who owns it is 83 and still goes out wide, many big fish brought in over the years. Was also sold as the Bahai Mar? 25 degree deadrise and a weighty hull.

The one that is the same as you are looking at has been modified. The guy that owns it fitted and 115hp EFI Merc 4 stroke, and found that the extra weight meant that he need a pod and the transom raised, as he was getting water over the back, and with the four stroke it was a bit bum heavy.

He reckons he is very happy with it now, admitting that deck space is at a premium.

I hope to get down there this weekend, so will ask him more about it overall. From memory, I think it has " Concorde" as the model, but will confirm.

Cheers

Thy

gford001
06-02-2013, 10:40 AM
As luck would have it, examples of both the boat you are look at, and the one in the quoted post are a caravan park o ur camp is at at Bermagui. The boat in the quoted post is a Bertram 20, and is a very different boat to the one you are looking at. Bloody nice boat, and a 1966 model to boot, the gy who owns it is 83 and still goes out wide, many big fish brought in over the years. Was also sold as the Bahai Mar? 25 degree deadrise and a weighty hull.

The one that is the same as you are looking at has been modified. The guy that owns it fitted and 115hp EFI Merc 4 stroke, and found that the extra weight meant that he need a pod and the transom raised, as he was getting water over the back, and with the four stroke it was a bit bum heavy.

He reckons he is very happy with it now, admitting that deck space is at a premium.

I hope to get down there this weekend, so will ask him more about it overall. From memory, I think it has " Concorde" as the model, but will confirm.

Cheers

Thy

Cheers mate, that bertram 20 is one of the boats that fell through.
It had been for sale 8 months, was in no rush to look at it, didnt think it was going anywhere. Organised to have a look saturday arvo, the guy called at lunchtime, sold it saturday morning.......
The more pics i see of commodores, the more i reckon that's it. Just with a replaced/custom front screen.

thylacene
10-02-2013, 03:14 PM
Ok, grabbed some photos of the boat at the caravan park, you can see them at this link https://picasaweb.google.com/102989844761721690554/CaribbeanBaron

The guy who owns it reckons the pod made a world of difference.

The screen is different than the one in your photo. Have a search on google, there is another model called a Crestcutter, also by Caribbean. From a quick look as it was leaving the harbor is possibly what you are looking at. The difference I could see between the two is that the baron is all anchor well up front, with the Crestcutter having a foredeck.

The Bertram 20 is twice the boat, but in all aspects. More than 2500 kg on the trailer, inboard (unless a revamp), great ride, but you will need a bigger tow vehicle.

From your photo, the first boat is not a Baron.

Sorry not much help I know.