PDA

View Full Version : Replacing pedastal seats with s/s risers for ice box

hooknpull
05-02-2013, 10:27 AM
I'm thinking about replacing my pedastal seats on my boat with the s/s risers that you can put ice boxes underneath them. Has anybody done this? Is it as easy as it sounds? Is there a way to mount them and do they need a bracket underneath the floor to hold them in? Just trying to work out if its doable.. Thanks in advance
Aaron

Chimo
05-02-2013, 11:47 AM
CC does it and possibly sells the units or at least could tell you where to go.
C
C

hooknpull
05-02-2013, 11:54 AM
Thanks chimo so do haines signature so it's not going to be a problem getting it. I'm thinking of the installation and mounting it. Do they just drill it into the floor or use plates underneath to hold it in. I don't want to do a Bodgey job on my boat. If I do it I will be re gel coating the holes from the pedestal seat base as well.

Chimo
05-02-2013, 12:18 PM
I think I'd be tempted to tie into the base that your pedestal uses. May not be much meat in the floor beyond the centre but talk to the mob that built your boat to be sure.

Prowl n Wolf
05-02-2013, 04:46 PM
g'day Aaron, ring haines sig and talk to gordon tripplet. blokes a champion when it comes to looking after sig owners with advice and what not.i have annoyed him plenty of times and he has always been helpful. i will pm you his mobile number. regards, tony.

hooknpull
05-02-2013, 04:56 PM
Thanks for that tony really appreciate it!

Muddy Toes
05-02-2013, 08:01 PM
Oh Aaron......nothing saddens me more than a Haines owner trying to turn his boat in to a Cruise Craft.

A bit inspired today were we?::);D8-)

johncar
05-02-2013, 08:59 PM
If the structure is there to support the frames or it can be installed, I would do it for sure. I am a big fan of such devices, CC and others use 25 mm tube which I have found to be a bit light and I recommend you go to 32 mm. 25 mm will do the job though.
Custom Frames I put in the Tournament. My anchoring gear one side and the lunch esky went under the other or whatever on the day. Previous boats were mostly done similarly.
Pedestals are OK too but the frames do make better use of that under seat area.

hooknpull
05-02-2013, 09:40 PM
F u muddy! I took the coarse last Friday! but the new haines come with them seats and I really want to put a Waeco under one side and icebox under the other. The more I think of it the more I want it. I also had a haines dealership today and they said $1020 for each side + postage.. So ill talk to the guy that tony sent me his number and see what he can do and if it can be done. If its still too dear ill just get a custom job done. Thanks for all the posts ( except for muddy) so far guys haha!

tenzing
05-02-2013, 10:35 PM
Got this made by Dave Green at Yatala a couple of years ago.
Part of a bigger job but sure the cost was a few hundred for this bit made and fitted
Cheers
Brendan
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=57949&d=1272102029 (http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=57949&d=1272102029)

hooknpull
05-02-2013, 11:17 PM
Thanks tenzing that's what I'm after. How did you go bolting it into the floor? Is it very strong? Cheers!

tenzing
06-02-2013, 05:40 AM
Was made and installed by Greens.
Has been solid as a rock.
Looks like it is bolted down on the same line that the inside of the seatbox was
Cheers
Brendan

Lancair
06-02-2013, 07:16 AM
I have a Tournament 1800, these are the seats that came with it and the split lid esky. Luckily I already had the exact same size and brand of esky to fit under the skippers seat. I added a strip of 1/2" square nylon board to the floor inline with the front of the seats, to stop the eskies sliding forwards.
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q153/Biggles70/seatesky2.jpg

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q153/Biggles70/seatesky.jpg
Dont know why the first pic is so small? These are taken from TPB website but identical to my setup. If you're going to get them custom made, I'd suggest supplying the eskies so the frames get made to securley hold them. Mine wont move at all with a simple webbing and velcro strap holding them forward.

hooknpull
06-02-2013, 02:56 PM
Thanks everyone for the posts, thanks to tony for the pm I spoke to a fella from haines today and he advised that 14 gauge screws and sikaflex was all that was needed to fix it into the boat. So now my little project begins and ill be getting custom ones made up because $1020 each is too much for me. Ill be sure to post pics when I'm done thanks again!
Aaron

wags on the water
06-02-2013, 03:14 PM
Contact Dave at Greens Marine Stainless on 07 38079972.

tenzing
06-02-2013, 05:10 PM
Hey Aaron
The others look good too, but give some consideration to the lateral attachment pont up on the gunwhale. That will leave more floor space than if it is floor mounted both sides.
You should also put a swivelling base with fore/aft adjust on the seat mount.
Cheers
Brendan

FishHunter
06-02-2013, 07:02 PM
My CC just has bolts through the floor. I hate them and cant wait to replace them with custom seat boxes.

hooknpull
06-02-2013, 11:34 PM
Thanks wags but I'm in Sydney,
tenzing that's exactly what I wanted with it coming from the gunwhale, they look good like that.
And why do you not like them fish hunter?
Cheers!

FishHunter
07-02-2013, 07:28 PM
Mine are pretty high and could take 1.5 or 2 eskys underneath them height wise and so waste a lot of space. Currently my tackle boxes go under them and the 120ltr esky is across the back. The only thing they are good for is putting Jerry cans underneath.
I figure I can put all that space to better use with seat boxes I have designed.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y38/razzo/Australia/Reef%20Ranger/IMG_1068.jpg

hooknpull
07-02-2013, 07:36 PM
Ahhhhhhh ok everyone has different ways of setting up their boats, but that's the fun part. Thanks everyone for the posts and pm's really appreciated.

robtarr
07-02-2013, 09:36 PM
Oh Aaron......nothing saddens me more than a Haines owner trying to turn his boat in to a Cruise Craft.

A bit inspired today were we?::);D8-)

I detect a bit of CC envy methinks muddy.....

johncar
08-02-2013, 05:22 PM
Well I had them in my HH 680 back in around 1992 as an optional extra and I am not sure but don't think CC were doing them at that time, so they may have copied HH..

I like the versatility of utilising space in my boats so when floor real estate is a premium, depending on what the boat is being used for on a given day determines what goes under those seat frames and yes with this system you do need to plan and tailor what you intend to put under them and not expect to fit your 120 litre ice box. There are plenty of items that go under there nicely and if I were to go with seat boxes I would make sure that they are roomy with easy access, so many I have seen are pokey and hard to get anything in and out of.

I do have seat boxes on my current boat though but they are large and I am happy enough with them.

Spiderpig
08-02-2013, 08:03 PM
These are the ones out of my old tinnie

kitty_cat
09-02-2013, 08:15 PM
kitty cat is at greenies as i post this getting seat rises installed should be the final touch to finish off the fishing deck we are after , i will post pics couple of weeks after finished and back from little ships fishing comp .cant wait to see how they turn out