PDA

View Full Version : Towing 26ft Boat to top of Fraser with 2 Vehicles

mustang5
05-02-2013, 07:29 AM
Gday,

I know its been covered a few times, however a search has not answered the specific questions I have regarding this adventure.

The Quest is to tackle the trip to the top of Fraser, towing the boat and beach launching.

The Gear:
The Boat: Seaswirl Striper 2601. Approx 3.5t. 15 Inch 4x4 tyres. Will be equipped with Drawbar.
Car #1: 2011 Toyota Landcruiser Work Mate V8 Turbo Diesel. Only Modification will be tyres (AS ITS A WORK CAR).
Car #2: Toyota Landcruiser Ute 1Hz N/A diesel. Lifted & Tyres.
Potential for Car # 3, however not locked in yet. (Navara)

Questions:
- 97 CRUISER UTE, or 2011 WAGON as the tow vehicle??? The Cruiser Ute has better suspension for Towing, but absolutely no power. The Wagon is a powerhouse, but the Clearance is shocking when hooked up to the boat.
- The tow cruiser sits low on the back end when towing, reducing clearance considerably. What can I do to raise this clearance other than a lift kit, or shifting boat back on trailer reducing ball weight?
- What are the best tyres for sand towing (For the Tow Cruiser)?
- Is 12PSI a good target pressure for all tyres (Including Trailer)?
- Is a winch Neccessary??

Preparations so far:
- Boat Trailer has been fitted with 4x4 tyres. I cant remember the width off the top of my head but they are considerably large tyres.
- I have a total of 8 max tracks & 4 snatch straps

The plan is to tackle the heads with two cars snatched, and have the 3rd as a backup in case all fails. Im targeting Easter for this trip, and I understand I have quite a bit of preparations to do.

I am open to more suggestions if there is anything you can see I am failing to consider.

Thank you all.

danryan75
05-02-2013, 07:47 AM
might be a silly suggestion but i know a few who did this back when the fraser fishing comp was on. could you drop it in the water when you get off the barge and drive rounnd to the other side so you only need to pull the trailer around? id say the fuel you would use to do that could be taken across in jerrys if you were worried about range

myusernam
05-02-2013, 07:48 AM
geez for all of the cost of ferrying the cars out there wouldn't it be cheaper to take some extra fuel with you and drive the boat from the mainland and camp behind the point?!

Anyway i think the key word is 'work car'. impervious to salt, free fuel?,auto?, i reckon with the tyres let down and all that power it would be better than the ute?

As for rear clearance you could try and borrow/ hire a load adjuster like they use on caravans (with that size rig you should probably have one anyway) this will take some weight off the rear end and spread it over both axles. really makes it handle so much better. used to tow a large boat with my commodore and it was dangerous without them

lethal098
05-02-2013, 08:09 AM
Fit some airbags to the Wagon, that will lift up the back end a bit and make it better, air bag kits are only about $300

The Woo
05-02-2013, 08:29 AM
The headfark and potential for damage towing such a large rig.... would be too much for me. An adventure yes, but just too hard I reckon.
I'd do as others suggest and drive the boat up the Sandy Straits to meet the trailer, or even better, launch @ Urangan.
Load a couple of 44's (take a drum pump) on the trailer rather than the tow ute if you need the room. My Dad used to do just this when he had a very young family and no grown up help. Tow vehicle was a '77 Range Rover and the boat was a 21' SeaMeter. He found the 44's nestled nicely in the V of the rollers and travelled well.

Enjoy the trip mate, sounds great!

mustang5
05-02-2013, 09:24 AM
geez for all of the cost of ferrying the cars out there wouldn't it be cheaper to take some extra fuel with you and drive the boat from the mainland and camp behind the point?!

Anyway i think the key word is 'work car'. impervious to salt, free fuel?,auto?, i reckon with the tyres let down and all that power it would be better than the ute?

As for rear clearance you could try and borrow/ hire a load adjuster like they use on caravans (with that size rig you should probably have one anyway) this will take some weight off the rear end and spread it over both axles. really makes it handle so much better. used to tow a large boat with my commodore and it was dangerous without them

Work car is manual, and its not totally a work car, its just I cannot do major modifications to it as its a Novated Lease, but not in my name. LONG STORY.. But the fact is I can do what I like with it but not modify it (Unless its an easy modification that can be unmodified easily).

Why am I doing it?? Well, I am camping for a week and a half and would just like the luxury to launch on good weather. Additionally, I love a challenge, and its one of those feat's that are left to achieve really..

Anyhow, heres a pic of the car1, car2 and boat.

Captain Seaweed
05-02-2013, 09:51 AM
I have done a few Fraser fishing comps and can only offer my opinion. The largest boat we towed up was a 6.2m Seafarer Vagabond although I have seen lots bigger boats up there so anything is possible. Ideally if someone can lend you a tractor that would be ideal. Maybe its worth a call to the pub and see whats available as you are towing a large heavy boat but certainly not the biggest to go up there. It is super important to be prepared for the trip and have plans in place when things go wrong. I would use the wagon as your tow vehicle and run the tyres on 18psi no lower as it will be doing the hard work and last think you want is a tyre off a rim. I would rather be bogged than to be replacing a wheel. Also keep in mind the CV's will be a weak point with that load in those conditions. The trailer I would drop to 12 or whatever PSI looks most comfortable at super low pressure. Remembering there are a few tight corners on the track and you want to keep the tyres on the rims and not risk them coming off on a tight turn. I think the biggest problem you may face is overgrown vegetation, I think when the comp was on soo many large trucks and boats went over from Indian Head to Waddy that most overhanging branches magically disappeared.
Put some airbags in the back of the cruiser wagon or use an adjustable tow height hitch to get the trailer up, I dont think it matters if the cruiser is sagging in the arse as long as your not dragging the drawbar through the sand.
I have run all sorts of tyre on sand and find all work as good as each other when low on PSI, its not so much about traction but more about surface area. We always ran 33" tyres. I personally prefer Mickey Thomsopn MTZ or Claws as they have never let me down in these scenarios but I am sure many other brands will be fine. You may be able to ring Fourby's and see what tyres they have for hire!
No you dont need a winch but if your taking a tight corner wide to allow for the boat you can use a winch to drag yourself accross ( the ute will have a turning circle of an aircraft carrier)
I think its super exciting and am planning a trip like this in June (I think) with a heap of Ausfish boys and maybe even Muddy Toes big SeaPro. There are lots of videos on you tube that are worth seeing.
I have been through there after rain and never needed a tow vehicle. I think with correct planning you will be fine use a 3 car snatch slowly through sections and you will be fine. Make sure you remember to protect yourselves from flying snatch straps and use rated D schackles. I also upgraded the tow point on the front of my cruiser to a 2 point attachment system (buy it from ARB) as opposed to factory one.

Well worth the effort as long as weather plays the game and certainly an adventurous way to go fishing, the fishing is great and navigating the gutter is exciting so is the beach launch and retrieve.

Things to note
-Normally leave on a low tide and come back into the gutter on high, the gutter will look totally different upon return, take note the day before what the waves do and where to park the 4x4.
-When retrieving from the gutter work as quick as possible to prevent trailer sinking into sand, always reverse first before driving boat trailer out of the water to prevent bogging.

Cheers
Marty

Captain Seaweed
05-02-2013, 09:55 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymbbESXZlZE

Captain Seaweed
05-02-2013, 09:58 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6O5GljsIxo

Captain Seaweed
05-02-2013, 09:59 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaDY2BSP8Ts

Captain Seaweed
05-02-2013, 10:00 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2Ab_YjPEQQ

mustang5
05-02-2013, 10:16 AM
Cheers Marty! Thats some very handy and useful info there :)

Does anyone know any information online for info on tracks and the journey to which is taken? I am going for a couple of scouting trips beforehand (Boatless of course)

Cheers

myusernam
05-02-2013, 10:18 AM
looking at those pics of your vehicles you would be well advised to get those load adjusters...you wont go back once you try them. those two toyotas are dangerously loaded to the rear, probably exceeding the axle load rating. the load adjusters distrubute the load over the car, improve handling

mustang5
05-02-2013, 10:27 AM
looking at those pics of your vehicles you would be well advised to get those load adjusters...you wont go back once you try them. those two toyotas are dangerously loaded to the rear, probably exceeding the axle load rating. the load adjusters distrubute the load over the car, improve handling

Thanks mate. Believe it or not the ball weight is less than 350kg which is the rating. But I agree with you, Ive never felt comfortable with how it sits. Any specific brands worth looking into?

CT
05-02-2013, 11:07 AM
Cheers Marty! Thats some very handy and useful info there :)

Does anyone know any information online for info on tracks and the journey to which is taken? I am going for a couple of scouting trips beforehand (Boatless of course)

Cheers

Thats the easy bit. Only 1 track so no option. Inskip to Fraser. Aim to be heading up the Island on an outgoing tide. I would try to be at Pouyangan and Yidney Rocks about an hour before low to allow you to get around the front of them, and still have a good hour for the run up to Indian to hit it at dead low. Then the fun begins! Through the Indian Head cutting. Across the beach to Middle Rocks...you want low tide to get hard sand here...up the Middle Rocks cutting and then your no longer tide dependant. From here on it is just the hard slog across the inland track to Orchid beach. If your camping, you will also have to factor in to still have enough beach to drive up to the campsite once your back on the beach at Orchid (assuming your not camping at Waddy - I think the camping is nicer further up towards Ocean Lake).

I'd be keen to tag along with my boat if you'd be happy with that, but don't think that I'd have a hope of making Easter.

Cheers
Craig

Cheers
Craig

CT
05-02-2013, 11:13 AM
I think its super exciting and am planning a trip like this in June (I think) with a heap of Ausfish boys and maybe even Muddy Toes big SeaPro.

Would you blokes be interested in having it as a meet and greet? Might be more folks like me that have always wanted to do it, but would feel more comfortable doing it if you knew that there would be a few more boats floating around out there at the time. Also fully understand if you've got yourselves all sorted and don't need hangers-on to screw up your plans!

Cheers
Craig

CT
05-02-2013, 11:22 AM
Also meant to post up this track conditions link. Have noticed over the years though that they rely fairly consistently on "soft and rough", occasionally substituting with "hard and rough"! I always hoped that would deter people and mean less of them for me to share the island with!

http://www.nprsr.qld.gov.au/parks/fraser/pdf/fraser-conditions-report.pdf

mustang5
05-02-2013, 11:28 AM
Thanks Craig, again that helps heaps!

Would love it if you could tag along, more the merrier, and we can learn from each others mistakes haha!!! Would love a meet and greet, by all means im there!!

Im currently planning Easter as its the only time off I have with my line of work. I also have 4 workmates going and is the only opportunity to have enough cars on the sand at the time lol!

Thanks mate.

cormorant
05-02-2013, 11:52 AM
How long are you taking for the adventure and how much fuel do you need for vehicle and boat?

Take the weight of fuel on the boat 3 X 44's laying down spare diesel for cruisers?. Easier to float the weight than carry it on land. . Close to the cabin , thin rubber for friction then plywood cut to full width to protect the deck with 4*2 studs screwed through the ply to stop the 44's moving. Strap each down individually and they won't move. We did this with 10 on deck drums upright from NZ

Can you borrow a fuel bladder is another option that I like for diesel? On a trip we did years ago we used 60l Rheem galv drums but you don't see em much these days but they were great as you could lift them and throw them off on atyre and they didn't bend .

Weight distribution hitches do work and are cheap 2nd hand.

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/sis.html?_kw=Hayman+Reese+caravan+weight+distribut ion+kit

You can use compressors as pressure transfer pump since you will have them on board vehicles.
http://www.tanamipump.com.au/index.html

Has the trailer got a fast electric winch and have you don a few practice launches as a test on a flat day?

Snatch straps if you have boat on trailer is a No in my book doing a full on snatch as it will kill the vehicle snatching that weight. 7t static let along how deep it is. Dig, jack,tracks , drag with both vehicles and winch.

myusernam
05-02-2013, 12:38 PM
Thanks mate. Believe it or not the ball weight is less than 350kg which is the rating. But I agree with you, Ive never felt comfortable with how it sits. Any specific brands worth looking into?

hayman reece extra heavy duty

mustang5
05-02-2013, 12:44 PM
Was looking as a week This side and including easter.

The boat holds 600L however was only planning on taking 400L as I will only fish 2 of the days.

We have 4 cars going and was planning on taking supplies on all cars except tow car, and also planning on having boat as light as possible.

I have a mate who has a load distribution he will sell to me, but have to make sure it fits the 2 5/16 ball.

The only place we plan to use the snatch straps is for towing the boat with 2 (or 3) vehicles up Indian Head. Is a snatch strap best used when towing a vehicle and boat at speed?

Cheers

GM-Bluewater
05-02-2013, 12:51 PM
I think your overall length will be the only real headache getting your rig up there. The track from middle rocks through to Orchid Beach has a few tight corners, nothing that can't be tackled with a little common sense though.

The wagon would be the tow vehicle of choice. Unfortunately you can't really pick the conditions until you are up there, it might be soft as buggery or they might have had a few days of rain and it's 2wd all the way through! Also the Easter traffic can do a bit of a number on the track, so keep that in mind.

Hopefully you will still be able to get around the front of Yidney and poyungan rocks at Easter time on low tide, i would be trying to get there around dead low tide as rock hopping and the bypass tracks would be best to avoid with 3.5t of boat being towed.

Beach launching can be a bit of a challenge with a big glass boat and no tractor, but again that all depends on the condition of the beach and gutter. Always handy to have a 4wd hooked up to yours when you are retrieving, with a load of fish/ice/fuel it is a lot of weight to be pulling out of the drink on sand.

Getting up there is half the fun, i have seen bigger boats get up there without a drama, and smaller ones in all sorts of trouble, so a lot of it comes down to experience.

I'll be up there at Easter, so if you have any dramas a tractor could be organised for a price.

Where abouts do you plan on camping? As stated previously, i think up towards Ocean Lake/Marloo Camp site would be the pick, there are a lot of deep holes in front of the camps on the beach at Waddy and it isn't the nicest spot with all the stagnant water around.

Cheers

Cheech
05-02-2013, 01:53 PM
Only thing I would add is to try and protect the side of your boat from scratches from overhanging branches.

hungry6
05-02-2013, 02:21 PM
Came back from there a few weeks ago and Waddy has a nice deep pool you can rest and load boat on, if its still there when you head over, launching and retrieving should be a cinch. However, the timber hump at middle rock is out of this world, its pretty sharp and steep with very soft sand leading up to it. Just have both vehicles hooked up for this or find a tractor like others have said. Plenty of tractor up orchid beach, just got to find a friendly owner or have a chat to the owner of the orchid beach shop before you head up, there have been a few decent size glas boat up the of recent.

mustang5
05-02-2013, 02:25 PM
Thanks GM. Yeah its a tough one.... Thanks for the tractor offer though, that could come in handy !!! I will stack the cartons high... Might be dishing out a few hahah!

A good question I should ask though...... Say I get to a spot that is just "unachieveable"..... Whats my options???

1. Is there anywhere south of the island (Ive been told my main worry should be indian head) that there is a possible launch site? (Then trailer it the rest of way(We have spare drivers/passengers), and boat it to the top)..
2. Do I take the beach straight from Hook Pt?? (Ie at the right tide??) Or do I go the inland track?
3. Say I aimed to get to Eurong at 2hrs before low tide... Does that then put me in good steed to get through Yidney & Pyongyang at low?? I dont mind waiting for a dropping tide...

Excited.

GM-Bluewater
05-02-2013, 02:51 PM
Thanks GM. Yeah its a tough one.... Thanks for the tractor offer though, that could come in handy !!! I will stack the cartons high... Might be dishing out a few hahah!

A good question I should ask though...... Say I get to a spot that is just "unachieveable"..... Whats my options???

1. Is there anywhere south of the island (Ive been told my main worry should be indian head) that there is a possible launch site? (Then trailer it the rest of way(We have spare drivers/passengers), and boat it to the top)..
2. Do I take the beach straight from Hook Pt?? (Ie at the right tide??) Or do I go the inland track?
3. Say I aimed to get to Eurong at 2hrs before low tide... Does that then put me in good steed to get through Yidney & Pyongyang at low?? I dont mind waiting for a dropping tide...

Excited.

Not a worry Mustang, beer is an official currency at Orchid Beach! In answer to your questions:

Failing a cyclone between now and Easter that washes a sh!t load of sand away, and given the right tide and a bit of know how, there is no spot that would be "unachieveable".

1 - The only place south of the island is Inskip point, you wouldn't be able to launch safely anywhere on the main beach. You would have 110km/s drive from Inskip to Waddy with the wide bay bar to go through, then try and come in a gutter that you haven't laid eyes on from the beach, not the best idea if you are not familiar with the area. Plus you would want at least 5 to 10 knots for the run up or it would be a bit unpleasant and expensive on fuel.

2 - Yes, take the beach from Hook Point all the way to Indian, avoid the inland track like the clap!

3 - Depending on the size of the high tide, i would be getting on the beach at Hook point around 2 hours before high tide, that way you would be passing Yidney and Pyongyang around dead low, leaving a bit of time in case the beach is in a bad condition and for a slow pace up the beach.

I wouldn't worry too much about Indian head, if you have a few cars to pull you through and it isn't too hacked up and soft, it won't be an issue.

Lucky_Phill
05-02-2013, 03:13 PM
18 psi on cars and trailers will suffice.

Like Marty, I have done this trip many times, towing a 6.2mtr.

Never had an issue, other than me forgeting to engage 4wd at Indian Head. :hammer: Doh ! Still made it through with snatch ( recovery ) vehicle.

There is a sharp left hand corner just as you leave Champange Pools. Drive vehicle as far to the RHS of the road as possible. Might even pay to take shovel as you might need to " chip away " at the high hard sand corner.

Personally, I would only take enough fuel for cars and boat as there is ample supply at Orchid Beach. Yes, it costs a tad more, but beats hauling the weight up there and also, gives you an opportunity to call into the Tavern ....:beer:

I hit Fraser for new years. Some of the rocks.. Poppy-Young ( spelling it my way ), was only passable on dead low tide. That will be an issue if you have to take the alternate track.

Where-ever you can, stay in 2WD. Deflate tyres on bitumen at Inskip Point, just before dirt / sand to barge. Use UHF to contact barge before you hit the sand so they can guide you straight on without waiting in soft stuff. Be warey when driving off the barge, sometimes the angle will be steep and the towbar will smash into the metal plate landing door.......... just a big CLUNK... as you drive waway :uhoh:

It is only 40k's from Waddy Point to Sandy Cape Shoals and a lot of good fishing much closer, so boat fuel should not be an issue. Gardner Banks start at about 12k's east NE of Waddy. Plenty of livies to be jigged just outside the breakers from Waddy. I actually don't take bait with me. Enough from livie grounds and also fresh flesh from " unwanted " species.

cheers LP

Lucky_Phill
05-02-2013, 03:17 PM
FYI........... bait here:-

S24 57.604 E153 20.186

cheers

Beatsworkin2
05-02-2013, 04:26 PM
Have fun and don't stress a lot of good info here nothing like towing the boat down the beach a true sense of freedom personally I drop everything down to 15 psi works for me I hope u have a ball ill be there about a week after u good luck

Gon Fishun
05-02-2013, 05:38 PM
What about something like this.

cormorant
05-02-2013, 07:17 PM
Hi Lucky Phill and any others

I have towed on Fraser with a disco so it was constant 4wd. You suggest towing in 2wd . What's the reasoning apart fom saving fron't CV especially with a really heavy tow and steering a bit better? .
I assumed that spreading the drive and stress on 4 wheels would be a easier tow?

If he is changing tyres anyway is it worth fitting some internal beadlocks so you can run lower pressures more safely and not roll a tyre off and get so much sand in the beads?

Never did find out if internal beadlocks are roadworthy for onroad and don't currently have them.

Thanks

Edit spelling

CT
05-02-2013, 08:35 PM
Was looking as a week This side and including easter.

Cheers

One thing that hasn't been mentioned to date is the possibility of all that effort to be screwed over by bad weather. We gave up on single weeks years ago and now go for at least 2 weeks to be assured of at least some good weather. I know you said that your locked in to only going for a week, but keep a good eye on the weather and be prepared to bail out and leave the boat at home to save a pile of money. You wouldn't be the first bloke to tow all that way and have the boat sit on the trailer for a week. Always take the surf rods to be sure!

Cheers
Craig

mustang5
05-02-2013, 08:52 PM
One thing that hasn't been mentioned to date is the possibility of all that effort to be screwed over by bad weather. We gave up on single weeks years ago and now go for at least 2 weeks to be assured of at least some good weather. I know you said that your locked in to only going for a week, but keep a good eye on the weather and be prepared to bail out and leave the boat at home to save a pile of money. You wouldn't be the first bloke to tow all that way and have the boat sit on the trailer for a week. Always take the surf rods to be sure!

Cheers
Craig

Its a good point and will definitely keep an eye on it.

Schulzy
05-02-2013, 09:04 PM
If the wind was ok and you work your tides you can launch on the beach and drive around waddy saves the hassle of towing it over the hill but depends on the track conditions

Smithy
06-02-2013, 09:09 AM
Yep I reckon weather has a very high chance of screwing you over until late May/June which is when the Toyota Expo was held. Some years it copped big lows in NSW throwing big swells up here. I don't think I have had a good Easter weatherwise in the 5 years I have been full time chartering. Think of all the wet Easters and Anzac Days the last few years. Easter is usually near the full moon and full moons this time of year can tend to whip up big weather systems. With a boat your size I'd be coming around from Hervey Bay or up from Wide Bay Bar to fish those grounds anytime on good weather forecasts and for Easter I would just make it a boys weekend of 4WDing and surf fishing etc. You can fill in a week driving up to Sandy Cape, another day over to Wathumba and then a fair few trips to Champagne Pools backpacker watching! The mega trailerboats on the beach at the Expo usually had 4WD tyres on the trailers and were well setup for it. Most we big plateys. I spose John Gooding had his HH760 up there the last couple of times but then John always made the nightly video for one reason or another, even back in the years when he had his Sailfish Cat then his Patriot days!

mustang5
06-02-2013, 02:56 PM
Thanks Smithy!

I will wait till a few days before departure and look at the forecasts.

manta man
07-02-2013, 05:00 AM
Hey Mustang5, First of all wondering which day your planning on going, theres a moon on the 27th march which is great(Good low tides after lunchtime).You should be making your way around Hook point 2 hours before low tide. I will try and help you with advice, also you can make arrangments with the barge company (You need to make sure you get on the Manta Ray 2 thats there big barge) just remember Easter time at Fraser is very busy . Smithy"s right about the weather very important. Even getting on to the Barge might create problems depending on nature of tracks going to the barge, no of cars waiting you certainly want nobody in your way (Just remember momentum is everything especially towing a boat of that size. Take no chances and use both cars. I"ve done a few trips up there in my time and the biggest boat i"ve ever seen is a 28ft Shark Cat.The trip is quite an eye opener especially with the size of your boat, I will try and help with more info in the next few days. Cheers Manta Man

manta man
07-02-2013, 05:04 AM
Hey Smithy that Patriot your speaking of, was certainly a monster. But even Mother Nature sorted that out.

mustang5
07-02-2013, 07:04 AM
Hey Mustang5, First of all wondering which day your planning on going, theres a moon on the 27th march which is great(Good low tides after lunchtime).You should be making your way around Hook point 2 hours before low tide. I will try and help you with advice, also you can make arrangments with the barge company (You need to make sure you get on the Manta Ray 2 thats there big barge) just remember Easter time at Fraser is very busy . Smithy"s right about the weather very important. Even getting on to the Barge might create problems depending on nature of tracks going to the barge, no of cars waiting you certainly want nobody in your way (Just remember momentum is everything especially towing a boat of that size. Take no chances and use both cars. I"ve done a few trips up there in my time and the biggest boat i"ve ever seen is a 28ft Shark Cat.The trip is quite an eye opener especially with the size of your boat, I will try and help with more info in the next few days. Cheers Manta Man

Im aiming for the morning of the 27th at the moment. Was hoping to beat a bit of the easter rush.

murf
07-02-2013, 11:00 AM
with regards to tyre pressure its not just about letting them down to a set PSI, all tyres are diff and are carrying diff weights and need diff pressures to get a tread length

a great read here

http://www.direct4wd.com.au/tours/TYRE%20PRESSURE.htm

with regards to the load leveler systems watch the Gall boys DVD on towing a big van to Fraser, they broke the back end out of their car with it on I seem to remember (just saying)

cheers Murf

mustang5
07-02-2013, 12:11 PM
Thanks Murf!

I will see how she sits with the Airbags installed.

Just looking up tyres and rims now!!! WHY ON EARTH DID TOYOTA SWITCH FROM 6 to 5 Wheel nuts! :$

Captain Seaweed
07-02-2013, 04:26 PM
so you only had 3 mags to choose from.....!!!

CT
07-02-2013, 04:36 PM
Thanks Murf!

I will see how she sits with the Airbags installed.

Just looking up tyres and rims now!!! WHY ON EARTH DID TOYOTA SWITCH FROM 6 to 5 Wheel nuts! :$

Once you get airbags you will wonder how you ever coped without them!

solaris
07-02-2013, 06:49 PM
Hi Mustang,

I have towed my c/c 685 up 3 times and a mates 6m Vindicator up once, let my tyres dow to 19 PSI up to Indian and then down to 16 for the rest of the trip, never has any tyre issues. Same pressure both car & Trailer,

I had the most trouble with the Vindicator as the trailor was a real sand Plough, Th C/C trailer has straight axels and the chassis sits a lot higher with less bits hanging down getting caught in the soft sand. Have been through Indian at its best (no additional vehicles required) and at it worst taken 4 hours to get 4 boats through.

Hopefully you get a day or 2 of rain a couple of days befor you head up. You are always better to hook another Tow vehicle or 2 on for safety, vrs getting stuck as you can loose hours, and break a lot of gear extracting a boat and car. We used 3 additional vechiles on year and need every bit of it.

I was aprehensive the first time, but you are headed in the right direction with additional vehicles, It can be a challange, but their is no better feeling than pulling you boat out of the water at Waddy, having a beer after a great days fishing, Enjoy your Trip

mustang5
08-02-2013, 11:33 AM
Hi Mustang,

I have towed my c/c 685 up 3 times and a mates 6m Vindicator up once, let my tyres dow to 19 PSI up to Indian and then down to 16 for the rest of the trip, never has any tyre issues. Same pressure both car & Trailer,

I had the most trouble with the Vindicator as the trailor was a real sand Plough, Th C/C trailer has straight axels and the chassis sits a lot higher with less bits hanging down getting caught in the soft sand. Have been through Indian at its best (no additional vehicles required) and at it worst taken 4 hours to get 4 boats through.

Hopefully you get a day or 2 of rain a couple of days befor you head up. You are always better to hook another Tow vehicle or 2 on for safety, vrs getting stuck as you can loose hours, and break a lot of gear extracting a boat and car. We used 3 additional vechiles on year and need every bit of it.

I was aprehensive the first time, but you are headed in the right direction with additional vehicles, It can be a challange, but their is no better feeling than pulling you boat out of the water at Waddy, having a beer after a great days fishing, Enjoy your Trip

Thank you for your advice :)

I think the Seaswirls trailer has a good bit of clearance, especially with the 4wd tyres. The only issue I have is the low point on the back of the cruiser to which hopefully the airbags will fix :)

Can you please possibly give me some tips on the approach to Indian Head? For example, what Speed/gear? Length of snatch connecting vehicles?

I am also guessing I will need someone on the ground to uhf when a clear run is available.

CT
08-02-2013, 01:22 PM
Pick a set of wheel tracks that have a nice run into the cutting. You don't want to have do a zig zag just as you hit the soft stuff. I usually drive past the cutting along the beach, pick my track, uturn past it again and confirm its the one I want, then uturn again and hit it. Gang up two straps together. If you use only one strap, as the first car bogs down, the second car towing the boat catches it up and the last thing you want to be doing is breaking! Don't use shackles as this breaks things and kills people if things go astray. Loop them through each other. Use high two and hit it flat out if possible. Sometimes a "speedbump" of sand stops you doing this as you hit the cutting, so manage as best you can. I never use low as I believe that it robs you of too much momentum.

If you get stuck, get off the loud pedal. This is some of the best advice you will get. There is a difference between having no forward momentum and being dug in to the point where your sitting on diffs and sidesteps. From there, its time to adjust pressures, get out maxtracks etc.

A runner on the ground with a handheld two way is helpful too. So is a quick run through the cutting in the second car without the boat before you attack it so you know exactly where the bumps and soft spots are.

First rule of getting bogged at Indian is crack a beer, get the camera and have a think. You haven't got the tide to worry about, so take your time and come up with a safe plan to get going again. Depending on your drawbar setup you can also disconnect the tow car, get it unbogged and then snatch the trailer through using the spare tyre mounted on a stub axle on the drawbar. It looks like a giant tricycle, and yes everyone will laugh at you but I used it for years bank launching before I got a 4wd. I've got a stub axle on a mounting plate lying around in the shed if you want to borrow it.

Cheers
Craig

GBC
08-02-2013, 02:21 PM
As per the vid. Have a rabbit go ahead and clear the track, attach 2,3,or4 cars together with full length snatch straps, engage any traction devices (lockers) agree on which track we are all aiming for then wind the convoy up along the surf line before aiming up onto the cutting at about 40 odd clicks in high range and be ready to quick shift down just before the soft sand so you have the best amount of rev range to work with. Nobody backs off until the bloke with the boat sounds his horn. As CT said, if its a lost cause, get off it early and reassess - there's a difference between 'run out of traction' and 'bogged to the sills'. That's about it for a bad day at Indian when the sand is dry enough for tyres not to leave any tread marks. On a good day you'll just use low range on a single vehicle and walk it through steady steady.
We surmise that its a heap easier to daisy chain the vehicles together before they are bogged and give ourselves the best chance first up.
I'd be selecting the vehicle which has the same track as the boat trailer to be the main tow vehicle.

Lucky_Phill
08-02-2013, 02:24 PM
All opinions different.

I always use low range 2nd gear and 2000 - 2300 or so rpm for both vehicles. We don't cross Indian fast, but we get there everytime without fail and without bogging.

When looping the snatch straps together, utilize a rolled up newspaper covered in glad wrap... between loops. This prevents the snatch straps from binding up.

We only use one snatch strap. Once had issue with another boat, and we just drove another vehicle to the front of the recovery vehicle, attached another snatch and bobs ya uncle.

Having a stand off deckie with UHF is fine and a good idea. Make sure they are the fittest, as it is a long way to jog to Middle Beach once vehicles have traversed Indian Head.

I wouldn't get too caught up in the issues that only MAY arise.

Just be prepared ( which is what you are doing now ) never panic and don't be in a rush.

Have you thought of moving the axles on the trailer forward. to remove some weight from the tow ball area. ???? You should still maintian around the 100 plus KGs of downforce on the ball.

FYI.

My trailer has a ground clearance of 140 - 150mm in the centre of the Gullwing crossmembers, which by all accounts, is damn low. Sure, it will flatten out the soft sand along the inland tracks, but I never had an issue. Even the rough downhill run back from Waddy around the Champagne Pools area, just took it steady. I have a 3mtr extension drawbar that is used for beach-launching which definately keeps my trucks tyres well clear of the water... this is also helped by the low trailer. The higher you mount your boat on the trailer ( putting springs on top of axles etc ) the further you have to back ya trailer and vehicle into the water to launch it.

cheers......

mustang5
08-02-2013, 02:41 PM
Very sound advice! You guys are legends..

Thanks heaps!!

I think I have it all covered now. I suppose the only thing left is to check out the conditions on departure, and plan accordingly :)

Understand the different approach methods, I suppose it will depend on different setups (Fast Vs Slow). I will take a trip up there maybe with the tinny in the coming weeks and hopefully gauge a bit of a better idea on how to tackle it.

Sorry to anyone who gets p!ssed off stuck behind me if shes a rough one on the day.. I will shout ya a beer. hehe

mustang5
18-02-2013, 06:03 PM
Ok guys I'm having some dramas....

Do I aim for wide tyres or skinny tyres??

I've been told different opinions.

I currently have the stock split rims

GBC
18-02-2013, 06:43 PM
Tallest profile possible for the longest possible footprint. Width is nothing without length. The beauty of a much bigger tyre (wide and tall) is that they require less air pressure to carry the same weight as a smaller tyre so they can be let down further more comfortably and still have ground clearance. Make sense? Go too tall though and you bugger up your drive ratios - unless we are talking trailer tyres in which case there's no such thing as too big :)

When I was working on nav aids, we used to tow trailers up beaches all over the country side with the standard 7.5 r 16 road grippers that come standard on cruisers. Once aired down correctly they are fine. They become extremely problematic when aired down and mixed with speed/heat due to their high profile and love of higher than normal pressures. I personally wouldn't be too stressed about replacing them unless you felt a need other than sand ability - they go fine due to their long footprint. I would however be trying to rustle up a set of wheel spacers for the arse end if it is a current 70 series so it doesn't crab all the way up the beach.

Lucky_Phill
18-02-2013, 06:48 PM
IMO. and this many vary from others.

It makes no difference.

Many vehicles that traverse Fraser use the 750 x 16 cookie cutters with no dramas.

Why ?

Well, contrary to popular belief it is not the width of the tyre that gets you traction with lower pressures.

What is happening is the " length " of the tyre that touchs the ground... in other words the footprint lengthways is far more important than the width of the tyre.

Generally people use wide tyres for offroad experiences and in some cases this is preferred, like MUD and Rock / Dirt, but these are also associated with deep and knobby tread patterns for grip, whilst also using deflated pressures.

A tall tyre 750 x 16 will get a long footprint with a lower tyre pressure over say a 14" wide STR type.

The short answer is....... you have the rims, get the tyres to suit and go fishing

cheers Phill

CT
18-02-2013, 07:39 PM
Tallest profile possible for the longest possible footprint. Width is nothing without length. The beauty of a much bigger tyre (wide and tall) is that they require less air pressure to carry the same weight as a smaller tyre so they can be let down further more comfortably and still have ground clearance. Make sense? Go too tall though and you bugger up your drive ratios - unless we are talking trailer tyres in which case there's no such thing as too big :)

When I was working on nav aids, we used to tow trailers up beaches all over the country side with the standard 7.5 r 16 road grippers that come standard on cruisers. Once aired down correctly they are fine. They become extremely problematic when aired down and mixed with speed/heat due to their high profile and love of higher than normal pressures. I personally wouldn't be too stressed about replacing them unless you felt a need other than sand ability - they go fine due to their long footprint. I would however be trying to rustle up a set of wheel spacers for the arse end if it is a current 70 series so it doesn't crab all the way up the beach.

IMO. and this many vary from others.

It makes no difference.

Many vehicles that traverse Fraser use the 750 x 16 cookie cutters with no dramas.

Why ?

Well, contrary to popular belief it is not the width of the tyre that gets you traction with lower pressures.

What is happening is the " length " of the tyre that touchs the ground... in other words the footprint lengthways is far more important than the width of the tyre.

Generally people use wide tyres for offroad experiences and in some cases this is preferred, like MUD and Rock / Dirt, but these are also associated with deep and knobby tread patterns for grip, whilst also using deflated pressures.

A tall tyre 750 x 16 will get a long footprint with a lower tyre pressure over say a 14" wide STR type.

The short answer is....... you have the rims, get the tyres to suit and go fishing

Spot on. These lads have nailed it.

ballsie
18-02-2013, 08:07 PM
Hi Mustang,
Just read this one. So jealous.
Im in redlands boat club and we travel up every other year with boats as big as a 680 patriot and 685 Cruisecrafts. One being Solaris boat.
Best advice i can give is go up a month before and drive the track so you know where your hardest parts are before you attack them.
If there are boats at indian head watch and see how and how not to do it. Your boat is a heavy boat and i would recommend pre hooking up two other vehicles with one strap between each.
Drive next to eachother when coming up the beach and pick a gear that is geared close to each other so the vehicles don't fight each other against the snatch straps. Try to keep them tight on approach to the soft sand all the way threw to the beach north of indian. I like 3rd low range in my auto and put the auto locked in gear not drive as it will hunt between gears when in soft sand.
Remove any spares that are mounted below all vehicles as they are just extra drag. Airbags on any coils i think are great. and maybe reverse your tongue to get extra height for the dips on the inland tracks.
All other tips are great too. send a pilot vehicle to stop anyone coming and stuffing your run in. Have a lookout at the top of the hill. If you are going to get stuck get off the gas. 18 pound in the tyres or lower if you have too in both the car and trailer.

Then do it all over again at champaigne pools.

Launching and retrieving use an extension draw bar. get your deckie to pull your cable out in the morining ready for your return. and park your vehicles where u think you will be pulling out as this may be a different part of the beach. The first afternoon get some beers and check the guttter and note the tide and where will be best at what tide to put in and pull out.

Fraser can be very rewarding with some of the best fishing and is worth the effort to get your boat up there.

All the best Ben

ozscott
18-02-2013, 08:31 PM
Gbc and Phil have it. Many might argue against tall profile and relatively slim being best but they would be wrong.

Cheers

mustang5
18-02-2013, 08:36 PM
Thanks guys!! Saved me 2 grand for a pointless upgrade :)

Fish_Two
18-02-2013, 09:13 PM
I have done 3.5t with a Navara and a land cruiser

Take note of all of the above,

Max traxx to stop your wheels sinking in sand when loading the boat,
Spare snatch straps , you may break a few if get stuck
Big blocks of timber to crawl the trailer over the coffee rock, if exposed
Good crew to load the boat on quickly,
Keep the revs up, keep revs up,, and keep the revs up,,when crossing the soft stuff, we double hitch and go straight up, but try and keep your speed slow, you don't want the boat bouncing around too much, you will break something
Go for a walk first and pick the hard wheel tracks
We take a 44 drum and fill it at orchid beach transferring it to the boat,
Go for dead low tide, and stay on the hard sand in 2wd

Have fun, and don't stress , stay cool, and think straight( stay of the xxxx when loading the boat)

Mr__Bean
18-02-2013, 09:48 PM
I have contemplated this many times, with offers from very experienced people to assist with their vehicles as well.

The bit I couldn't get over was the damage to some large boats when they were dragged into exposed tree branches and roots on the bends.

Even though they had 2 or three vehicles snatching them through, the last vehicle with the boat was dragged into the side of the bend by the vehicles in front that end up pulling at a side angle as they progress around the bend.

Beautiful big boats have been made into beautiful big boats with bad damage.

Darren

mustang5
18-02-2013, 11:51 PM
I hear ya Darren. That's my main plan on my scouting mission in a couple of weekends time. If there is any spot I feel any danger of significant damage ill be getting the boat up there by water.

In saying that though, it's something I want to achieve so ill weigh up all options first :)

GBC
19-02-2013, 05:23 AM
I suppose the only other things we have learned is about launching and retreiving.

1. the gutter at high tide can have steeper sides - a jacknife park where the trailer ends up straight out and the tow vehicle ends up parallel(ish) to the water helps a lot. When taking off, the tow vehicle is on harder packed sand, it doesn't have to drive up hill, and the screwing action helps pop the trailer tyres out of the sand.
2. don't be aftraid to use the thrust of the boat's engine to get the whole rig moving - it helps the tow vehicle get some traction rather than bog, and saves clutches. Obvious caveats about not nailing it and ending up on youtube apply here.

Lucky_Phill
19-02-2013, 08:50 AM
Good advice GBC.

Something else that happens with beach launch and retrieve. If doing the drive on / off method ( which as far as I am concerned is the only way to do this with boats over 5mtrs..IMO ) is that you will tend to pick up sand particles through the intake ( impellor ). This CAN, only maybe, result in a blockage at the tell tale. I have experienced this often and what happens is the sand particles get caught in the " T " junction just prior to the outlet ( tell tale ) hose at the cowling. Simply pull off the hose before the " T " and flush motor, also have handy a small piece of copper wire ( 150mm long ) and use this to probe the tell tale from the outside, dislodging the sand particles.

Mr-Beans comments are valid, but on the Fraser trips I have done and seen, the only snatch-strapping ( multi or singular ) has been on the straight sand bits at Indian Head, Champagne Pools and in some cases the return trip over the soft sand at Inskip Point ( mainland ). He is right though and in particular points of interest is the sharp left hand turn just after Champagne Pools on the way north. I have mentioned this in an earlier reply... talked about using a shovel to clear away the bank, so certainly take an axe / machette to assist in the clearing of damaging tree branches in this area and some other spots.

Be aware........ your boat WILL touch / scrape, be touched and scrapped by tree branches, either from the side or overhead. Most of them will do no damage at all, but just be aware and if in doubt, you may have to do some " gardening ".

The best thing you are doing is the " reckie ".

Take plenty of photos, even traverse soft sand areas in different ways and always remember.....every time you go there, something is different. This is mainly concerned with the gutter at Waddy Point. Another great thing to do is climb Indian Head and take pics of Middle Beach at low tide and take particular note of gutters. ( fishing ) This can also be done at Waddy Point headland looking into the gutter. ( boat launching ) .

You never know, if the weather is really good myself and several others may find ourselves heading that way.................

Cheers LP

mustang5
19-02-2013, 09:04 AM
Thanks LP.

With regards to scratches/branches issue, I may put the full boat cover on in order to be on the safe side.

I now have a few more mates coming up and also my father who is a 4wd instructor who believes my boat is about 1 tonne too heavy so I have to prove him wrong. Plus he will be able to help in any of the situations I get in.

Its all coming together :) Bring on Easter.

Lucky_Phill
19-02-2013, 09:36 AM
mmmmmm I see. Yes it is a big ass boat, but mission is not impossible.

I am thinking you'll have overhead branch issues.

With me looking at that I can say that it will take you something like 2 - 3 hours to get from Indian Head to Waddy Point. The hardest / slowest part will from Champagne Pools to Waddy Beach.

I know people that take these up with no issues. 680 Patriot. 7.1mtrs and heavy !

http://liveimages.boatsales.com.au/boatsales/boat/dealer/bd5727899627303587041.jpg?height=290&aspect=centered&width=440

If you decide to drop the boat in the water and drive it to Waddy , launch at Bullock Point and it is 115k's from there to Waddy Beach.... under a 3 hour run. In good conditions, this could very well be a wise move. This way you can have a fish at the Gardners waiting for the 4 x 4 and trailer to arrive .... ><>

In the end it is up you and always err on the side of caution.

cheers

cormorant
19-02-2013, 09:45 AM
Don't wreck your good cover. Take a old truck heavy tarp and just put it on while someone is doing a reccy on the track. We have elsewhere tied 2 ropes from bow rails to top edges of the hardtop to stop low bushy branches slapping out screen as they just slide over the cabin at low speed. The Aerials on the bullbar on a reccy run always showed up how much clearance we had if we could stay on the track.

Edit - We have used old printed banners as tarps - the large advertising ones that get tossed from billboards. Check your local banner manufacturer as the material is tough ( sort of like vinyl backed canvas- truck siding ) and they may be happy to get rid of a old one or torn etc. It costs them to dump it. And just bang some eylets into it. You might get lucky and get a rare 40 foot tampon add and boat will forever nicknamed tampax!!!;D

Other option is to just get some clear heavy "wrap" on the sides and that will stop road rash and also a bit of sinker , twig damage. Depends how much you like a pristine boat.

Use a Fiskars telescopic pruning saw for anything large and obvious at cabin height as it cuts cleanly quickly and easy to use/ store

hungry6
19-02-2013, 09:47 AM
Mustang5 that is a big boat! The other thing you might want to do when retrieving is a 4 maxtrax out and park your 4x4 on it while you load the boat and once loaded and by now you would be half or more wheel deep in soft wet sand. With the maxtrax and what GBC said using the thrust of the boat to help. You shouldnt get stuck.
When are you planning to go? If im free, might head. For a gander.

mustang5
19-02-2013, 10:10 AM
Ok so... We have the towing sorted, but you guys have brought up a pretty good point.. HEIGHT.

The unfortunate thing is that the height of the stripers is epic. Im not sure off the top of my head but id say 3.8m from ground up would probably be on the ballpark.

I suppose the thing to ask is, what am I legally and morally allowed to do if there is obstacles in the way? (Low lying branches etc.)

For an indication of height, the below pic is with my missus who is 5"11 :-[:-[

I have taken radar dome off and obviously aerials will be lowered.

& Hungry, will be looking at 26th or 27th March for a week.

Cheech
19-02-2013, 12:16 PM
I mentioned protecting the boat from branch damage on the first page, so glad it has been raised again. Would be a shame to have scratches down the side of such a nice boat. I think the easiest and best thing to do is just get some lengths of carpet, preferably some free old carpet getting thrown out, and tie it on the sides between the rails on the boat and the trailer. Carpet is a bit more substantial than a tarp so will better protect from branches.

Lucky_Phill
19-02-2013, 12:35 PM
I am thinking it may be prudent to contact the Rangers on the island. re;- Gardening.

Yes it is high and I am thinking harder and looking and think this will be the major obstackle for the trip.

I can't quite get a grasp of the height, so you may need to post a close up... just of the " missus " so I can clearly understand the height issue. ;;) 8-)) :-XX ;D

Seriously..... it is high. Being a National Park, all Fauna and Flora is protected, you may come to grief if Rangers saw you doing some serious gardening, just to get the boat through.

Play it safe, contact Rangers now. QPWS main contact point. info@nprsr.qld.gov.au or 137468

cheers LP

GM-Bluewater
19-02-2013, 02:22 PM
I am thinking it may be prudent to contact the Rangers on the island. re;- Gardening

I can tell you now what the answer to that will be....

Everything is legal until you get caught, and rangers are few and far between up that way now. Saying that, the dump truck and the truck from the shop at Orchid Beach go through there on an almost daily basis, they would be the same height, if not higher.

Personally i think that if you listened to every piece of advise on here, it would take you 5 days to get from the barge to Waddy, with your boat wrapped in bubble wrap, and being towed by a fleet of Landcruisers. Perhaps even contacting the air force to get it chopped in by Chinook!

All you can really do is be as prepared as possible for the conditions on the day, and most of all, enjoy yourself! So this won't be your first and last trip towing your rig up there!

manta man
19-02-2013, 07:35 PM
Been some big swells up that way, some of those rocks might have changed.

CT
19-02-2013, 07:59 PM
I suppose the only other things we have learned is about launching and retreiving.

1. the gutter at high tide can have steeper sides - a jacknife park where the trailer ends up straight out and the tow vehicle ends up parallel(ish) to the water helps a lot. When taking off, the tow vehicle is on harder packed sand, it doesn't have to drive up hill, and the screwing action helps pop the trailer tyres out of the sand.
2. don't be aftraid to use the thrust of the boat's engine to get the whole rig moving - it helps the tow vehicle get some traction rather than bog, and saves clutches. Obvious caveats about not nailing it and ending up on youtube apply here.

The other thing that springs to mind that I don't think has been mentioned yet that once its back on the trailer, reverse the trailer back into the water to get the wheels out of the sand where they will have sunk, before taking off forward to pull the rig out of the water. Makes a big difference.

thelump
19-02-2013, 09:13 PM
Forget about the trees hitting the top of your boat. I would be worried about low flying aircraft smashing into it. Gee thats a big tall beast of a thing. Sounds like an awesome adventure mate. Have fun!

gofishin
19-02-2013, 09:39 PM
... Gee thats a big tall beast of a thing. Sounds like an awesome adventure mate... That's not a nice thing to say about someone's wife ... Oh sorry, you mean the boat :) :)
Seriously, nice boat mustang, and I'm sure you'll have a fantastic trip. Have you sorted out another prop yet?

mustang5
20-02-2013, 08:54 AM
I can tell you now what the answer to that will be....

Everything is legal until you get caught, and rangers are few and far between up that way now. Saying that, the dump truck and the truck from the shop at Orchid Beach go through there on an almost daily basis, they would be the same height, if not higher.

Personally i think that if you listened to every piece of advise on here, it would take you 5 days to get from the barge to Waddy, with your boat wrapped in bubble wrap, and being towed by a fleet of Landcruisers. Perhaps even contacting the air force to get it chopped in by Chinook!

All you can really do is be as prepared as possible for the conditions on the day, and most of all, enjoy yourself! So this won't be your first and last trip towing your rig up there!

Ive learned a lot from this thread, and I know a lot of the issues I could face may be there one day, and not the next. So I have 5 weeks to go on a scouting trip up there to which I will then know exactly everything im up for :)

At the end of the day I will be prepared for everything and dont worry, I will enjoy myself!!!! Worry about the salt washed cruiser and scratched up boat when I get back home :p

That's not a nice thing to say about someone's wife ... Oh sorry, you mean the boat :) :)
Seriously, nice boat mustang, and I'm sure you'll have a fantastic trip. Have you sorted out another prop yet?

Yeah I learned the hard way that a big boat needs a big Diameter Prop to get on the plane lol!! 5500RPM for a total of 4knts with nothing but prop slippage for anything smaller than 15 1/4" diameter. I have a 15 1/2 Solas 16p 4 blade which Im sure will suite this boat perfectly!! Just have to get out and test it!! Along with the new HDS 10 and structure scan :)

Im starting to plan the tides and aim for the best time to board the Barge. The lows for that week are either roughly around midday, or roughly around midnight. In saying this, I will be planning to be at Eurong roughly 10am. So it should work out pretty well :)

The other thing is, its time to fabricate the draw bar! I will have a chat to the boilies at work and sketch them up something!! They always enjoy a carton! Any tips on a foolproof drawbar setup?? Do people bother with a coupling or is there an easier/more convenient way?? (Im guessing I could just get a normal coupling bolted on.. Just means I will have to take another tongue with an Australian sized tow ball as I currently have a 2 5/16th ball size.)

The Woo
20-02-2013, 08:57 AM
Checking the beach conditions prior to pressing the "GO" button will be paramount.
I'm sure I don't need to tell you blokes about the weather we've had recently. I'd suspect the main beach will be fairly scoured out. Days/weeks of epic swells will see to that.
Many 8 and up to an 11 metre wave have been reported in the last couple of days off the SEQ coast. Our beaches don't deal with that.

mustang5
20-02-2013, 09:06 AM
Checking the beach conditions prior to pressing the "GO" button will be paramount.
I'm sure I don't need to tell you blokes about the weather we've had recently. I'd suspect the main beach will be fairly scoured out. Days/weeks of epic swells will see to that.
Many 8 and up to an 11 metre wave have been reported in the last couple of days off the SEQ coast. Our beaches don't deal with that.

Lets just hope that all this crap weather and big seas die down over the next 5 weeks lol

mustang5
21-02-2013, 11:47 AM
Sent an email to the parks and wildlife gurus for Fraser and got a phone call this morning.

I must say I was impressed with how helpful and friendly they were.

They basically stated that it is ok to use your own discretion if you are caught with low lying obstacles, to the point of ripping out a chainsaw and going haywire.

mitchellbj
21-02-2013, 05:19 PM
Havent read the whole post but i was up there 2 weekends ago, the track over was good a few big step ups you will need a tow up but a mate got a 4wd truck i think a 12 tonner up there with supper singles and only needed a tow by a landcruiser ute up the first step up at champagne pools

Out-Station
21-02-2013, 08:33 PM
Mustang, with 3 good vehicles I recon you will do it fine with a bit thought. Take a decent length chain. When the shit hits the fan with a 3.5t rig you will want it. I recon your biggest hassle will be working in the gutter at waddy given that thing would draw some water. Good luck with it.

murf
24-02-2013, 10:35 AM
Mustang, with 3 good vehicles I recon you will do it fine with a bit thought. Take a decent length chain. When the shit hits the fan with a 3.5t rig you will want it. I recon your biggest hassle will be working in the gutter at waddy given that thing would draw some water. Good luck with it.

just intrigued as to what the chain is for?

cheers Murf

Sent from my g04ref using Tapatalk 2

Out-Station
24-02-2013, 07:16 PM
Cos Murf, when the shit really hits the fan and its time to be desperate cos you have your 3.5T rig half buried in and out of the waddy gutter on a rising tide and you have the parkies cat 950 loader hanging of the fron't you can keep all your snatchies where they are, out with a decent chain in my book. But i will admit i am "old school" on such matters where desperate times call upon a heavy handed approach.

The Woo
25-02-2013, 08:54 AM
I tend to agree.
Up there once we lent a hand to a poor bloke who had a Sierra so stuck up there launching a small boat that the massive 4WD tractor snapped two straps that were connected in parrallel. We then got 3 straps together and the tractor was wheel-standing massively despite shovelling frantically. Thought it was staying there that's for sure.

murf
25-02-2013, 10:30 AM
Cos Murf, when the shit really hits the fan and its time to be desperate cos you have your 3.5T rig half buried in and out of the waddy gutter on a rising tide and you have the parkies cat 950 loader hanging of the fron't you can keep all your snatchies where they are, out with a decent chain in my book. But i will admit i am "old school" on such matters where desperate times call upon a heavy handed approach.

That's OK if you have a 950 loader with you haha diff story all together :)

Must use appropriated rated chain, straps and slings for the job hey :)

Sent from my g04ref using Tapatalk 2

mustang5
25-02-2013, 11:09 AM
Wouldnt launching on Low Tide, and Retrieving on High Tide alleviate the issue/stress of getting stuck?

On a side note, I have 40K to spend on a new work car. Looking at 100 Series Cruiser, or a 4.2L Patrol. If anyone knows of any 2006 Patrols with the 4.2 for sale, please let me know.

Out-Station
25-02-2013, 03:16 PM
Mustang, the thing about Fraser is that it is ever changing. Sometimes there are good gutters other times you are working with nearly nothing. Different gutters ok for Different stages of the tide. Often we will go out and come home in different spots. Sometimes you have the luxury of good hard sand on a great low tide gutter at other times like us lust year we had great gutter but access of a spit at low tide that was soft as buggery in close. Other times there is near lagoon situation if you can get into it. The point I would make (and not being a bore) is that your big rig will lose you some flexibility in working with what options the beach provides you with, there will be some options that blokes will be using with six metere platey's that just simply won't be an option for that baby of yours. Finding the right gutter combo with good hard sand and enough depth in close will be the key to you getting it out. Deffinateley not trying to put you off. Nothing like pushing the envelope but you are just by shear size of that thing. We snatched a 7.4 platey with a 200 series on it out of the gutter I talked about above last year with a cruiser ute and only just got it out, and the whole rig was only in the water for 30 seconds. Point being everything turned out okay but it could have got pretty messy fast with that biggish boat. As I said, I recon it's doable but your out there so make sure you are well prepped. I've seen a couple of big glass cats up there before but they were using tractor and sinking the trailers well back into the break. If you had access to a tractor up there allot of your risks would be minimized. We take 3 6m boats up there every year. All alloys the biggest a 6m stabie, so heaps smaller and lighter than yours, touch wood no big drams for us as yet but it's easy to see how things go wrong.

Cheer's Scott

Ps get yourself setup with a high speed surf winch so you can winch that sucker on in about 10 seconds max,

mustang5
25-02-2013, 05:50 PM
THanks Scotty.

Actually speaking of 200 series, there are a couple in my price range which I will be looking at in the coming weeks.

I will probably head up a week to 2 weeks before and check out the scenery. Other than that, I dont think i will be launching without the car snatched up to another.

Out-Station
25-02-2013, 07:53 PM
Mustang, best thing you can do is go for a look see, that's what I did before our first trip. If the whole setup were my rig my biggest nightmare would be bogging that beast down on it's trailer whilst pulling out. If it got badly bogged you could have 3 cruisers hanging off the fron't and that sucker ain't coming out. Tractors rule for the big rigs.

Also maybe think about where your going to keep it. If your camping up near the pro camp no worries but if you are staying in orchid I dare say you will be using the snatch to get it up of the beach onto the boards a fair bit. Depending on why the sands like some guys leave big boats down at the camp ground so as to avoid the hassle of getting them back up into orchid everyday. We stay in orchid and take the boats back each night, heaps easier for fueling, washing up etc.

When are you planning on being up there? We go up for a week in early may.

mustang5
25-02-2013, 10:18 PM
The group will be camping at one of the grounds close to waddy pt. I'm still to figure out where is best.

I have from the 25th March off so I was thinking the 26th/27th departure.

Will probably go for a look mid march.

mustang5
28-02-2013, 08:05 AM
Put my deposit down last night :-X:-X

Has a lot of aftermarket goodies, including chip and exhaust. I dont think Ive felt Torque quite like it in a diesel.

Best part is, its good for the tribe of kids I keep adding to.

Going to get a cargo roof top barrier, snorkel and some nice meaty tyres and Im all set.

Argle
28-02-2013, 12:34 PM
Nice cruiser! That will smoke any old 4.2 Pootrol thats for sure. That will be perfect towing that big rig of yours!

mustang5
28-02-2013, 01:00 PM
Nice cruiser! That will smoke any old 4.2 Pootrol thats for sure. That will be perfect towing that big rig of yours!

Yeah the test drive was convincing.

Best part is the diversity I required in both Family, 4wd-ing, Camping and towing. So really couldnt top it. Plus it had the tick of approval from the boss which always makes things a lot easier

The Woo
28-02-2013, 01:17 PM
They are a great thing the V8 TT diesel 'cruisers.

But keep an eye on the engine oil level, some were known to chew it up fairly promptly.
And if you want it really capable in soft sand, don't choose an aggressive Mud type tyre, they just dig holes.

Schulzy
28-02-2013, 01:28 PM
When I went ove I was told by a few locals do not retrieve on the top of high tide the waves break (dump) really hard a run out retrieve would be the best

death_ship
28-02-2013, 02:27 PM
I've heard from the manta ray barge guy that the new cruisers have been doing clutches a fair bit on fraser.

mustang5
28-02-2013, 04:52 PM
I've heard from the manta ray barge guy that the new cruisers have been doing clutches a fair bit on fraser.

6 Speed Auto :)

Boat Hog
28-02-2013, 05:21 PM
6 Speed Auto :)

Would never get another Toyota 'anything' in manual for towing .......

Argle
01-03-2013, 01:45 PM
I would not have anything but a Turbo Diesel Auto combo for towing - a twin turbo V8 diesel just happens to be a bonus!

mustang5
09-03-2013, 08:17 AM
Not Liking this weather :(

However, picked up the car last night :)

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/03/09/y5e4avuz.jpg

myusernam
09-03-2013, 08:41 AM
is that you in the driver's seat mustang? That's exactly how I imagined you...

mustang5
09-03-2013, 12:10 PM
Haha naaa. Although she's probably got more balls than me at times

propdinger
09-03-2013, 12:15 PM
Haha naaa. Although she's probably got more balls than me at times

hope she dont have yours in her purse lol

Beatsworkin2
09-03-2013, 12:23 PM
Mustang5 it would be great if u post up how exposed the rocks r on the eastern beach as I will be towing up there on the 6 th of April any reports would b much appreciated thanks

mustang5
09-03-2013, 12:40 PM
hope she dont have yours in her purse lol

Haha even if she did mate, I learnt pretty quickly not to argue with a lawyer lol.

mustang5
09-03-2013, 12:40 PM
Mustang5 it would be great if u post up how exposed the rocks r on the eastern beach as I will be towing up there on the 6 th of April any reports would b much appreciated thanks

Will do mate

oldie
09-03-2013, 03:57 PM
hope you spending good $$ on quality rust proofing id give my left nut for on of those but cant imagine i'd ever put it in the salt

Chimo
10-03-2013, 06:40 AM
Hey M5

How about a set of these for the trailer and another set for the truck? http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/03/06/polaris-introducing-flat-proof-airless-tires-next-year/?intcmp=features

Cheers
Chimo

mustang5
11-03-2013, 09:44 AM
hope you spending good $$ on quality rust proofing id give my left nut for on of those but cant imagine i'd ever put it in the salt

Lol, I specifically purchased this vehicle as its the only one that ticks all the boxes. For example:
- Family (Has 8 seats and 4 dvd players to shut the kids up)
- Work (Is big enough and easily to Mine Spec for my job)
- Towing (It has the power and tow capacity)
- Reliability (Its a cruiser what more do I need to say)

As for the goodies, in the last 3 days I have done the following, in readyness for Easter!
- Built a custom draw setup for the rear
- Installed Fridge slide for the 110L waeco
- Installed 3rd Battery in the rear enclosure
- Ordered Air Compressor which I plan to mount inside draw setup. Have a 10m retractable air hose
- Ordered roof rack/cage
- Ordered lift kit, However wont get this in time..
- Ordered ERPS system to install.

It currently has the rust proof paint on it but I suppose there is no harm in doubling up.

Chimo
11-03-2013, 10:03 AM
Part 2
Video

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2289867/Reinventing-wheel-Forget-punctures-American-firm-unveils-airless-tires.html
(http://www.goldcoast.com.au/news.html)

mustang5
12-03-2013, 12:39 PM
How would you deflate undeflatable tyres to lengthen the footprint?

I HOPE THIS WIND DIES DOWN!!

2 WEEKS! Lots to do!
- Finalise 4m draw bar (Thursday)
- Finalise car kit out for towability on sand, and camping for the family (Draws, suspension etc.)
- Collate all recovery gear
- Finalise the HDS10 install in the boat

Couple of questions.

Which barge is best for getting on and off?

Also, is it wise to pre-book the barge or leave it to the day? (I have read opposing answers to this question).

Thanks

Lucky_Phill
12-03-2013, 02:44 PM
Thedre is basically one barge operator, that will run 2 barges at Easter. The Green barge I have found best for drive -on.... drive-off.

No need to pre-book. It is a first on best dressed affair, but you usually don't have to wait too long. My suggestion is get there well ahead of time, even if you have to wait at Hook Point for tide to receed a tad. Everyone travels with the tides and it will be chaotic from about 2 hours before low at Inskip Point.

Stop at the Matra Ray Barge shop on the left hand side just as you enter Rainbow.

You can get your Barge ticket, camping permits and driving permits all from this place.

You can get everything online... which , in hindsight is not a bad idea as that shop gets crowded.

http://mantarayfraserislandbarge.com.au/

Best to do this asap and get stuff posted out to you. ??

cheers LP

chocolatemoose
12-03-2013, 03:18 PM
didnt that get released 5 years ago or so called the "tweel" those non pnumatic tires?

SandStorm
12-03-2013, 09:20 PM
I'm guessing the fishing must be rather special to warrant all the hassle?

Lucky_Phill
12-03-2013, 10:13 PM
I'm guessing the fishing must be rather special to warrant all the hassle?

Fishing is .... AWESOME

Location is... AWESOMER

It's probably more about the " adventure " more than anything else.

Pitting ones self and machinery against mother nature and all she has to offer.

Taking yourself and boat and mates to the largest sand island in the world, that is also heritage listed, while only 3 hours from one of Australias major capitol cities, is something not anyone can do........ the only restriction is your willingness to do it.

The beauty of the island is awe inspiring........... the waters teaming with fish who's differing species are counted in their hundreds...... and the fact that you are alone out there. No rescue service for hundreds of kilometers.

Bear Grills calls this....... Man Vs Wild.........

us Aussies call it........ Camping and fishing with the boys 8-))

Every keen Aussie angler should do Fraser, at least once... put it on ya Bucket List !

cheers LP

SandStorm
13-03-2013, 03:26 AM
Fishing is .... AWESOME

Location is... AWESOMER

It's probably more about the " adventure " more than anything else.

Pitting ones self and machinery against mother nature and all she has to offer.

Taking yourself and boat and mates to the largest sand island in the world, that is also heritage listed, while only 3 hours from one of Australias major capitol cities, is something not anyone can do........ the only restriction is your willingness to do it.

The beauty of the island is awe inspiring........... the waters teaming with fish who's differing species are counted in their hundreds...... and the fact that you are alone out there. No rescue service for hundreds of kilometers.

Bear Grills calls this....... Man Vs Wild.........

us Aussies call it........ Camping and fishing with the boys 8-))

Every keen Aussie angler should do Fraser, at least once... put it on ya Bucket List !

cheers LP

Thanks LP I couldn't agree more, that's why early next year I'll be moving to Hervey bay..............:)

GBC
13-03-2013, 02:07 PM
We had a kayak fishing trip to DI cancelled last weekend due to crap low tide access and having to use low range on the rocks at Teewah - apparently. The pics Lindsay took look pretty grim with a BIG jump up to get off the beach. I have no idea what Fraser conditions are like at present, but I'd be seeking some first hand information about the rocks and their bypass tracks at Fraser as they stand right now. I don't think anything much is going to improve between now and easter.
Like I said, I don't have a clue what the conditions are like right now, but my gut feeling is the answer will be between not good, and complete crap.
Racing a tide along a 100 k.m. long wall of sand and having no control over when the pride and joy has waves running up the beach into it is not a fun thing to do.
I sincerely hope that won't be the case, but I'd be getting some first hand info after this weather.

Lucky_Phill
13-03-2013, 03:00 PM
I was thinking that very thing.

Even when I went there in June last year, after bad summer weather conditions, the slow points / rocky outcrops were not good.

My trip there at New years this year, was OK, but with the current weather conditions, some of the areas will be... difficult.

LP

mustang5
13-03-2013, 04:28 PM
Anybody have any contacts with regards to current conditions?

I might give the rangers a call again next week. They were very helpful the last time I called them.

Worst case is I go for a day trip one day soon before leaving. Just trying to wait out to get to within approximate weather forecasting models to gauge as to whether its worthwhile at all.

Fingers Crossed.

mustang5
13-03-2013, 05:09 PM

Its stating its all passable 2hrs each side of low tide.

Define "Passable" lol??

Out-Station
13-03-2013, 07:21 PM
Mustang, give Donny at orchid beach shop (white pages orchid beach trading post) a call, he would have had his truck down the beach in the last week or so in all probability and knows the story. If the beach is bad try and hit the various rocky outcrops right on low as you may still get around the fron't. We did it a few years back after a big blow, we did heaps of rock hopping but we got there. If it sounds messy take 8 or 10 super bags and some twine to make sand bags. Very usefull when rock hopping with the boat, trying to get your rig down of big ledges or washouts up onto the boards etc which would see your trailer bottom out on without sand bagging.

Scott

Lucky_Phill
13-03-2013, 07:32 PM
Good idea Scott.

I always take very thick pieces of timber. 60mm plus thick, 30cms wide and about 600 - 800 long.

Agree that hitting Poyangan and Yidney at dead low is a must..... try for Yidney.. for the low.

LP

Cheech
14-03-2013, 08:56 AM
If it sounds messy take 8 or 10 super bags and some twine to make sand bags. Very usefull when rock hopping with the boat, trying to get your rig down of big ledges or washouts up onto the boards etc which would see your trailer bottom out on without sand bagging.

Scott

Great idea. Last trip I did there my mate towing a caravan just got around via the beach, but had to manouver around and over some rocks. A few sand bags would have smoothed that out and made it a lot more comfortable.

mustang5
14-03-2013, 11:11 AM

Cyclone to hit north of yeppoon late next week.

Something tells me the weather gods are going to ruin my plans for Easter!

Who would have thought ;)

GM-Bluewater
14-03-2013, 02:22 PM
Not good mate! I have canned my Easter trip up there, hopefully the weather calms down by Anzac day!

I will find out some conditions in the next day or 2 and let you know. I would think twice if you have to tow a boat that size over the bypass at Yidney and Poyungan. They are pretty light on maintenance at the best of times, let alone a bit of traffic and some cyclone swell. That's not to say that it can't be done though.

Beatsworkin2
15-03-2013, 10:58 AM
Looks like I may have to leave the boat at home as well hope things improve good luck to you mate

mustang5
16-03-2013, 06:01 PM
Thanks mate. I'm going to make that decision the morning I leave pending weather and beach conditions :)

Been watching the gall boys DVDs, they have given me a lot of inspiration haha

GM-Bluewater
17-03-2013, 10:11 AM
Thanks mate. I'm going to make that decision the morning I leave pending weather and beach conditions :)

Been watching the gall boys DVDs, they have given me a lot of inspiration haha

I would use the gall boys video as an example of what not to do haha They sure do things the hard way, it makes for some good entertainment though!

mustang5
17-03-2013, 10:25 PM
Haha yep, and the old mans always right haha

mustang5
17-03-2013, 10:34 PM
89726 The weather gods may be kind yet :)

GM-Bluewater
20-03-2013, 10:06 AM
Bit of an update mate.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-03-19/hope-fraser-island-beach-access-restored-before-easter/4581418

Talked to a friend yesterday who said there are rocks out everywhere and had to rock hop some sets that didn't have bypasses. Hopefully some sand gets washed up in there before Easter.

Mr__Bean
20-03-2013, 11:27 AM
This page has good updates.

http://www.nprsr.qld.gov.au/parks/fraser/index.html

Darren

mustang5
20-03-2013, 02:21 PM
Thanks fellas.

Will start stocking sandbags.

mustang5
21-03-2013, 09:19 AM
Anyone have any recent first hand insight as to the conditions?

Weather is looking ok, still a little far out to make a judgement but its forecast to come down.

Car, boat and the rest are ready. Recovery gear and the likes is all good to go.

adam69
21-03-2013, 12:05 PM
Mate i checked out some youtube vids last night - wow thats all i can say, just type in Fraser Island 2013 and have a look

mustang5
21-03-2013, 12:52 PM
Mate i checked out some youtube vids last night - wow thats all i can say, just type in Fraser Island 2013 and have a look

Interesting..

The Woo
21-03-2013, 01:36 PM

well.... at least there's no sand to get bogged in! :p

mustang5
21-03-2013, 02:42 PM
well.... at least there's no sand to get bogged in! :p

True True... LoL

Im honestly not sure what to do tbh. Getting mixed opinions!!

Thinking just go for it. Worst thing that could happen is have to turn around I suppose.

mutineer
21-03-2013, 05:20 PM
Challenge will be worth it , in the end you will get there without too many dramas and have a ball .all it takes is common sence and a little luck , the weather will be what it will be ....done Fraser a few times towing tinny and its really never been an issue , you got a couple vehicles and a plan ...I say get into it .

Out-Station
21-03-2013, 08:20 PM
Mustang, did you give Donny at orchid shop a call, he's your man. He'll also know if any decent sized rigs have come through in the past week or so. We did it 3 or 4 years back with a heap of rock on the beach (against everyones advice) and we picked our way through, on high axles you will have a good start. I recon your biggest worry is the gutter at waddy, all this southerly weather would have dumped a heap of sand in there and she'll be pretty flat i'd say with minimal formation to work with to get that badboy in and out, thats fraser but, just got to work with what you get dealt, it wouldn't be an adventure otherwise!! It would also be worth giving the outbound track from orchid ro champaign a drive before you go home as often it can be tougher going than the track in..

Scott

mustang5
21-03-2013, 10:26 PM
Thanks fellas! I will give old mate a call tomorrow :)

You're right, it's an adventure. If I get looks from people thinking "wtf is this bloke trying to accomplish", well ill smile and wave.

Been busy tonight making a draw setup for the cruiser. Tell you what, I have a new found respect for cabinet makers. It's tough work.89836

sempre
22-03-2013, 04:00 AM
Talking to a couple of locals up there and they say beach has alot of rocks out , no chance of getting around them , have to take the bypass tracks . Trust me , thats not fun with a large boat .Quite a large drop off at middle rocks , said he'd be lucking to get my boat through with his tractor .Gutter isnt to bad , but they said they've seen better . Im going up in May so hopefully it sorts itself out by then.
Sam.

mustang5
22-03-2013, 09:02 AM
Spoke to Donny, he advised it should be ok depending on how much effort I want to put in lol!

Then called the Ranger's who advised that I will get around the exposed rocks from 11am until about 3pm given the full moon wednesday providing low low tides :) They have been very helpful.

The low on Tuesday is about 0.36 at 1313. Will aim to be at the Barge at 930-1000 in the morning.

Weather is also looking pretty good!!

Triple
22-03-2013, 03:13 PM
Check what times the barge starts that day due to hook point access (prob 11ish), I went on first barge over 2hrs before a .6m low and still had to drive in the wash to get around some trees at hook. Hopefully they have the inland track sorted by then and it won't matter.

Lucky_Phill
22-03-2013, 03:34 PM
Hopefully, they never maintain the inland track.

No disagreeing ( Triple ), but Fraser is getting loved to death and best for all to do no maintenance at all.

Yes, the QPWS have a duty of care etc etc.... but let's face it, there are so many people and non-4 x 4's going over there, it is getting crowded and with those crowds comes the " minority " that spoil it for the majority.

I have lost count of the RAV 4's, Subaru's and other " unsuitable " vehicles I have snatched out of problems from inland tracks to Kingfisher, Lake McKenzie and more. All they do is hold up " suitable " vehicles and gouge out the tracks. Sure, driver experience comes into it, but the more Fraser is put out in the media, the more people think it is a piece of cake to drive thier " unsuitable " vehicle there and with no or very limited experience and in a lot of case... no commonsense.

As Owen has said, this is an adventure and he seems to be getting well prepared by asking a thousand questions and this is the right thing to do. I still have concerns about him towing that big rig there, given the conditions of the beach areas around Yidney and Poygugan ( spelling ) rocks. I also believe the track from Champange pools north is soft and cut. He will no doubt get better information from the Orchid Beach Tavern.

Fraser Island will end up going ther way of Inskip Point. Restricted numbers and possibly even like Rottnest Island in WA, a ballot system for holiday makers. Inskip Point was flogged to a point of almost extinction with well over 3,000 campers there at Easter etc, but that number is now reduced to 1500 ( I believe ), just to save the place, and even now, 1500 seems to be packed in.

Waddy Point ( Fraser Island ) is a prime example of the start of restrictions. There are now fenced off site specific areas on Waddy Beachfront and only 2 camper trailer sites available. Fires restricted to ( minimally provided ) fire rings and complete fire restrictions in place for most of the year... all due to the minority of clowns that don't respect the island and the inhabitants, let alone other users.

Not long now Owen, hope all is going well ?

cheers LP

mustang5
22-03-2013, 10:52 PM
It's coming together lp.

Going to be a challenge for sure.

Just installed a 12000lb winch on the support car.

Old man emu kit for the 200.
Draw setup installed.
Drawbar complete.

Bring on Tuesday.

Beatsworkin2
23-03-2013, 11:13 AM
Good luck mate the rocks r the issue but when u get there it will be 5 to 10 with the sun blearing that's my report any way good luck

nathan dumschat
23-03-2013, 11:37 AM
I grew upon the beach up there towing all types of boats and know first hand the dramas you are going to have with a boat of that size. If your keen to fish the top of Fraser Id be launching your boat at Hervey Bay or Inskip Point and towing up the empty trailer.Even then you still have to get around the series of rocks north of orchard beach that. With the weather we have been getting lately you wont get around them so you will have to use the bypass track which is hard enough empty without the load you will have on . I class the top of fraser as Sandy Cape not waddy point. If your keen to fish that area why not leave from Bundy its 60 odd nm to the light ship country. End of the day a few overnighters and you will still be in front as bag limit will stuff you up anyway. Remember its in your possession at any time not just while your fishing or on the boat.The days of rape and pi ledge are well and truly over. Might be more cost effective as well. No bar to contend with from the Bundy end either as if you launch from Sandy Cape you have that to contend with as well.

Nathan

Lucky_Phill
23-03-2013, 05:23 PM
Owen...

install a Go Pro on the dash ( or helmet cam ) and do a " How to "... or " Not how to "... video.

When one looks back on the vid, you get a different perspective than when it was shot. Should I have done this or that .... etc.

Also makes good info for posting up here on the boards.

cheers

mustang5
23-03-2013, 10:14 PM
Yep phill I have the go pro ready. Will be getting plenty of footage :)

Thanks Nathan, considered doing the trip via boat however I look forward to a challenge. Worst case I turn around which isn't a big deal for me as I don't grab the missy and kids until Thursday.

All sorted and I'm getting excited

mustang5
25-03-2013, 11:09 AM

Heading south!

Mr__Bean
25-03-2013, 12:15 PM
The trailer looks nice and clean underneath with no roller brackets or things hanging low to get snagged on rocks or drag heavily through the sand.

Just remember the combined pulling power when snatched up, there have been trailers that have had their axles ripped out when snagged.

Darren

cormorant
25-03-2013, 12:24 PM
Hope you have a good run and a successful trip with no major dramas just a but of sweat.

Have a question for those who have done a lot of work on sand at speed - do you change the electric brake controller settings and if so what do you change? What controller have you used? On dirt and corregations apart from staying off the brakes we have it set to pull the trailer up hard as we don't want it pushing at all but never knew if that was right as it just seemed like common sense? Same in sand?

GBC
25-03-2013, 03:29 PM
I find that at normal road setting, the leccy brakes will tend to lock up easily on gravel. I back mine off a bit for off road. High speed sand (beach runs low tide) I would go back to normal road setting then back it off again for the slow stuff through the tracks where you really don't need any extra help to get bogged.

SatNav
25-03-2013, 05:50 PM
1. Just make sure to be off the highway by midnight Wednesday, there's no turning back home after that until the middle of next week.

CT
25-03-2013, 07:52 PM

Heading south!

Yeah but I've never found Gladdy to Benaraby to be that much of a stress!

mustang5
25-03-2013, 08:49 PM
Lol, with the amount of roadworks I encountered today, nothing but stressful lol! 2hrs spent with a stop sign staring at me..

One thing noticed today with the tow is that 800nm of torque makes it seem like nothing.

However, I must admit the braking in the 200 series seems a little light on.... Compared to a 79 anyways.

All in all will be interesting tomorrow

WalrusLike
26-03-2013, 06:20 AM
Good luck.... Great read so far. I hope you have a ball.

(Using Tapatalk on iPhone so can't easily 'thank' or 'like')

mustang5
26-03-2013, 08:47 PM

Well made some progress. Lots of exposed rock to contend with but the cruiser powered up through the bypass tracks.

Made it to Indian but the tide restricted a good run at it. Eventually made it up snatching with 3 cars. Spectators loved it.

Now past Indian waiting for the tide to drop and will do the final little leg.

Some may say its risky and why go to the effort, but we have had an absolute ball, and we buy the gear to use it!

Have some awesome footage on the go pro doing the bypasses and will upload when we are back!

Lucky_Phill
26-03-2013, 09:00 PM
Holy crappola Owen....

Looks like enough sand at the bottom of the coffee rock, with just a little wave action there ?

Getting over that stuff is hard, compared to getting up Indian Head.

Good luck..

LP

upstart
26-03-2013, 09:30 PM
Awe inspiring stuff mate. I'd love to be one of those spectators!

The Woo
26-03-2013, 10:09 PM
Weather is looking mint!
I admire your enthusiasm, keep it up!
That pic will go viral :)

2IC
27-03-2013, 04:15 AM
Holy crappola Owen....

Looks like enough sand at the bottom of the coffee rock, with just a little wave action there ?

Getting over that stuff is hard, compared to getting up Indian Head.

Good luck..

LP
YEA Phill ..looking at the pic I'm with you looks like enough sand down by the water,man that photo just makes me want to get back up there

myusernam
27-03-2013, 07:15 AM
so no oversise flags/ signs etc because over 2.5m beam?

mustang5
27-03-2013, 07:21 AM
Phill, the pic didnt really do the exposed rock justice. To the right of the pic it went out well into the waterline and there was a lot of depth.

Basicallh we took every bypass possible as the rocks were bad, especially Yidney rocks where we took the bypass up happy valley track.

After Indian there was the incline up to champagne pools. That is soft and a 4wd alone struggles. We snatched with one car and got us within a meter of the matting before the snatch broke(snatch protector did its job), and then idled up
Max tracks until the matting.

From there the track was narrow and bumpy but I had good grip in the sand/dirt.

There was a but of a challenge with the final corner heading to waddy, it's basically a 160 degrees tight corner. I took it wide and got out in the soft which kept the boat safe but bogged the car. Simply backed car number 2 with the snatch, and off we went.

Took a lot longer than expected but we weren't in any rush and had a ball! Made camp and some dinner and I had a nice sleep ready to start sussing out some gutters!

mustang5
27-03-2013, 07:24 AM

Ramp the middle rocks

Track through to Waddy.

adam69
27-03-2013, 07:31 AM
Cracker update mate - we will be up there on Friday and im sure to come give u a beer!! Thats a top effort towing that boat all the way up there. Hopefully no damage and plenty of fish!!!

mustang5
27-03-2013, 07:55 AM
Thanks mate. The only damage really was 1 amber trailer light and the spare wheel bracket bent upwards as it impeded clearance.

Funny thing is ill just weld it to the position it's in as its perfect for access and clearance.

thelump
27-03-2013, 08:54 AM
Awesome effort mate. You deserve good weather after a mission like that. Well done. Hope you slay em.

four_button_arnie
27-03-2013, 09:07 AM
Holy crap Mustang, that pic of the car and boat on the rocks is by far the most epically insane towing photo ever!
Such an awesome effort, I hope you guys are rewarded for it!
Josh

Beatsworkin2
27-03-2013, 02:52 PM
Awesome just rang the misses told her to look at the photo told her to read why we buy these things is to use it love it if the weather good the boats coming love this thread been better than neighbours don't worry about the fishing u can't really miss em there thanks

murf
27-03-2013, 04:06 PM
those pics remind me of the 10 hour trip up Fraser back in the 2007 Fraser comp I think? very soft sand and back of the line haha

glad you made it, and hope you get some great fishing in

cheers Murf

Boat Hog
27-03-2013, 05:51 PM
Owen you are one crazy bugger!! Crazy, but very inspirational!!

Now go catch plenty of fish. - you've earned it.

Cheers,

mustang5
29-03-2013, 01:48 PM
Went out for a scout today for a couple of hours, mainly to learn going out and coming in. Some big swells out wide but made it out pretty easy.

Coming back was another story, local knowledge and experience goes a long way! Came back in and the gutter had about 40cm of water. Plus looking from out past the breakers it's pretty hard to decipher what's going on. Got in without a hiccup though.

Will definitely invest in an electric winch before next trip lol

Fishing wise scouted a few marks with lots of fish and got mondtored a couple of times but brought up some red throat.

Good fun90090

mustang5
29-03-2013, 01:51 PM
We got it up with a bit of effort.

Coming back in

Schulzy
31-03-2013, 09:33 PM
Sweet as looks like it hasn't changed much from last year thinking about taking the tinny over again in 6 weeks

mustang5
01-04-2013, 10:35 PM
Made it back home without a hiccup. Hope to edit some footage tomorrow night :)

Went for a fish on Sunday. There was no chop, but some big swells with a mid to small period.

Caught a good feed of Parrot, red throat and a couple of Tuna, but lost pretty much every red fish to one of the 4 circling sharks.. I had a decent red on out past Gardners but lets just say I got "Redded"!!

Suppose I spent too much time worrying about getting the boat up there rather than getting the fishing gear in order lol

Was a great adventure and I dont think Ive had that much fun with Car & Boat in the past!

We had a good laugh over a beer after the days fishing when we realised we only used about 40 Litres the entire trip on the boat! lol Of course it was the missus who piped up a serve in asking why we spent all that money to tow the extra 350L of fuel lol! All a good laugh and a good excuse to head back out next week :p

Videos to come.

Basstones
02-04-2013, 02:28 PM
This was a great thread, reminded me of the Ooglies of the deep thread but with a better finale. Glad the trip went well

WalrusLike
02-04-2013, 05:24 PM
Mustang that has been a great read and it looks like you had a ball and adventure.

Thanks so much for sharing it with us. I look forward to the videos.

(Using Tapatalk on iPhone so can't easily 'thank' or 'like'.)

Captain Seaweed
02-04-2013, 07:16 PM
Well done mate, all in all a success! you now know what it takes to get the big girl up there.....is it worth it?..........shite yes!!!

Well done and congrats sounds like an epic week
Cheers
Marty

mustang5
03-04-2013, 09:51 AM
As promised.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lAJj9StV_Q

Lucky_Phill
03-04-2013, 10:29 AM
AWESOME. Thanks Owen.

Yep...memories...... fantastic place and I bet you'll be heading back for another crack.

That Cruiser looks like it has some Kahunas.. !!!

Great Video................ all good.

cheers Phill

GM-Bluewater
03-04-2013, 11:31 AM
Well done mate! Looks like you had a great trip!

Captain Seaweed
03-04-2013, 12:05 PM
Well done Owen, great video and i am sure even better time had. It looks like you worked the gutter out very well mate, you were up against some poor beach conditions but smashed it!

Beatsworkin2
03-04-2013, 02:39 PM
Good times great vid thanks I'll be heading there on Saturday I hope the trip goes as well as yours thanks for all the reports my question to u is how good is frazer and will u do it again

mustang5
03-04-2013, 03:03 PM
Good times great vid thanks I'll be heading there on Saturday I hope the trip goes as well as yours thanks for all the reports my question to u is how good is frazer and will u do it again

Mate, without a doubt! 1 week is not long enough

cobiaman
03-04-2013, 04:48 PM
What an awesome trip, that looks like a lot of fun!

lee8sec
03-04-2013, 05:17 PM
Owen, thanks for the video & reports. Leigh

caravellerob
03-04-2013, 05:18 PM
Nice vid bud we are heading up for 2 weeks in September, taking a 5 metre clark abalone still deciding whether to take my 19ft glass boat, looked like most of the tracks are pretty hard core after the big seas, couldn't believe there is a bypass at happy valley. What was the crossing like at eli creek? how much beach was there when you got up near Indian Head.

mustang5
03-04-2013, 05:51 PM
Nice vid bud we are heading up for 2 weeks in September, taking a 5 metre clark abalone still deciding whether to take my 19ft glass boat, looked like most of the tracks are pretty hard core after the big seas, couldn't believe there is a bypass at happy valley. What was the crossing like at eli creek? how much beach was there when you got up near Indian Head.

Mate Eli creek is a non event really. Although I only tackled it at mid tide it was really just the same as all the other washouts (cattle grid).

The beach was narrow at Indian, and the other thing is the beach from eurong up is cut off by high tide.

We got to Indian at about 2 hrs before high and we really couldn't get a straight run at it. The angle at too much speed just kept me going straight if you get what I mean? Lol

Take the boat mate, all the bypasses had plenty of room.

The Woo
03-04-2013, 08:17 PM
Good work mate, looks like you had a great time! :)

WalrusLike
03-04-2013, 09:11 PM
Bloody hell I enjoyed watching that video. Especially since I've seen the prep discussions.

Thanks very much for letting us get a percentage of the enjoyment you had out of the trip.

You did yourself proud with all that. Well done and thanks.

(Using Tapatalk on iPhone so can't easily 'thank' or 'like')

myusernam
04-04-2013, 09:28 AM
so no oversise flags/ signs etc because over 2.5m beam?

HAHAH so beatsworkin disliked my post re the 2.4m beam? be an emu then and stick your head in the sand.
Someone sometime soon will have a massive sob story up on here. U can't just break the road rules because it suits you and expect the authorities and insurance companies to be understanding!

mustang5
04-04-2013, 11:30 AM
There are plenty of threads regarding oversize loads on this forum. This thread is not one of those..

Because it seems a hot topic, and i did not want to accommodate it in order to not take away the point of this thread, however I do tow with flags and signage, these were removed for fraser as they would have Been victim to the overhanging trees in the cut ins.

Anyone who has towed the boat up there will know that they wouldn't last long, especially through to waddy point.

That was my choice and I'll leave it at that.

Beatsworkin2
04-04-2013, 11:30 AM
So mate the only bypas u took on the southern end of the island was Yidney

mustang5
04-04-2013, 11:31 AM
So mate the only bypas u took on the southern end of the island was Yidney

There was yidney and up through happy valley

Beatsworkin2
04-04-2013, 11:35 AM
Mysername I agree with u but mustang 5 has created a great thread and I'm sure having his flags out would not have made driving over exposed rocks and sand any easier

Beatsworkin2
04-04-2013, 11:39 AM
So u went past the maheno after happy valley cheers

mustang5
04-04-2013, 11:46 AM
Yeah mate, plenty of beach up through to Undabara??(Spelling) where there are some exposed rocks but easily passable.

There is no chance at a large-ish tide even without boat for most of the beach mate, its all been swept away.

Indian is difficult because by the time you get there you have no tide to work with, and its almost a 90 degree turn as theres probably only about 5-10m of beach on the runup.

Beatsworkin2
04-04-2013, 11:54 AM
Thanks a beer by this time to judge the the situation will be ready cheers for the info

murf
05-04-2013, 12:31 PM
great stuff mate and glad you enjoyed it, the vid was tops. looks like you worked the gutter out even if it is a bit unnerving going side on to the waves at first

when is the next adventure to Fraser then?

cheers Murf

mustang5
05-04-2013, 01:02 PM
great stuff mate and glad you enjoyed it, the vid was tops. looks like you worked the gutter out even if it is a bit unnerving going side on to the waves at first

when is the next adventure to Fraser then?

cheers Murf

Mate the missus conned me into booking Xmas for 2-3 weeks. You definitely need a lot longer than a week up there. Look forward to it :)

Yeah the first time was a bit daunting, considering the swell was considerably larger than the day we went out with the footage. But, we were never in danger!

I actually thought it was a little easier run with the larger swell as it took the shallow issues away as we were practically riding the peaks.

But, there were plenty of boats out, so there was always a good audience and knowledge available :)

four_button_arnie
10-04-2013, 09:09 PM
Thats f-in mental, well done chaps
Josh

mustang5
15-04-2013, 09:16 AM
Thats f-in mental, well done chaps
Josh

Thanks mate :)

Jarrah Jack
15-04-2013, 09:54 AM
One of the best threads I've ever read. There's so much in the dream and the preparation that goes on beforehand. I've always loved adventure stories. Thanks Mustang5.

mustang5
15-04-2013, 10:28 AM
One of the best threads I've ever read. There's so much in the dream and the preparation that goes on beforehand. I've always loved adventure stories. Thanks Mustang5.

Thanks mate. It was a challenge as the preparations didnt do much for what we were up against, but at the end of the day we took it slow and assessed each hurdle!

One hurdle which sticks out was the stretch between Indian Head and the track up to Champagne Pools at high tide!!. Whilst driving along the hard sand it was a pretty quick decision to turn sharp into the soft high ground when all I saw in front of me was water!! So heres the car, & boat totally beached in the soft dry sand whilst we wait for the tide to drop. I told the others to head forward in their utes to go set up camp!

The tide dropped within a couple of hours and I wasnt just going to sit there and enjoy the view of the back of indian head in the moonlight (I did for the first hour). So here I am with 4 max tracks, digging away at the sand behind each tyre, whilst a dingo just leisurely sat there about 15m away with his paws crossed. My thoughts were, Im wasting my time but hey, lets see if these max tracks are all they are cracked up to be...

So I dug to the bottom of each tyre, placed the max tracks so thoroughly so the spikes gripped the tyre tread. I had about 35m of soft sand to REVERSE in (I didnt know how high the tide would come up). I hopped in the car, low range, traction control off, but then realised I couldnt see anything behind me, and didnt want to go too far and launch the boat prematurely lol! So I hopped up on to the boat and turned the rear spotties on and it actually gave me a view of the breaking white of the waves!!

So back in the car, all systems go, and I couldnt believe it.. They lifted the car straight off its belly, and gave me enough momentum to keep tracking back in a straight line until I reached the hard stuff. Went back to retrieve the max tracks (Which were speared half a metre in to the sand) and off I went.

Only made it another 900m to the champagne pool ramp where there was no way I was getting up there alone. It was close 30 degree ramp I would say. So parked up there and had a nap for a couple of hours until the team came to get me.

I could have waited and did nothing, but by having a little fun it certainly made me a fan of the max tracks for sure.

hungry6
15-04-2013, 06:09 PM
LOL, u did it! Well done, sometime getting there is half the fun. Its a shame you didnt get onto decent reds, but for a first hit out its pretty good.
If you're heading back in xmas, bring plenty of trolling gear for mackerals. At times, they are almost in plague proportions, but good fun nontheless.

Cheers
Wayne

mustang5
15-04-2013, 06:15 PM
LOL, u did it! Well done, sometime getting there is half the fun. Its a shame you didnt get onto decent reds, but for a first hit out its pretty good.
If you're heading back in xmas, bring plenty of trolling gear for mackerals. At times, they are almost in plague proportions, but good fun nontheless.

Cheers
Wayne

Thanks Hungry. Mate we got a decent feed of fish, and I'm not too disheartened because I couldn't catch big reds to save me lol!

Plenty if tuna schools out past the breakers which we caught a few! But battling the big bottom feeders and getting monstored was good fun in itself!

mustang5
03-07-2013, 02:27 PM
Gday fellas,

Look ive searched and cant find an answer to my exact question... So Im reviving this thread.

Basically, We are planning to be at Fraser over new years and we are taking 2 cars, 1 with the boat and 1 with a camper trailer. In addition I will have another 4-5 couples accompanying us, 3 of them also with Campers.

Now Waddy Pt Camp zone is good for the boat, but we didnt generally like camping on the grass with no Ocean View, plus no place beach front to set up the camper. We ended up doing some camping along the Eastern Beach and found that to be Perfect.. But not easy to get the boat up Indian Head every time you want to go for a fish.

So basically, my question is.. Can you get access via the beach for the boat to get up to Marloo Bay, or the other beach front sites up near Waddy Pt/Orchid Beach??

rtp1984
03-07-2013, 06:09 PM
Hey mate, last time I was up there, last September, camping around ocean lake or orange creek would suit what you want. You may need to leave the boat on the beach as there is often a bit of a just up to the camp spots, but you should be able to keep a good eye on the boat.

Getting the boat straight down to the gutter? Your guess is as food as mine, one year you can drive all the way down on high, the next you can't get past at low. That will be what will give you the shits. You can obviously get round the high tide track, but it would get old quick if you had to do with that boat of yours.

Thanks
Rob

Out-Station
03-07-2013, 06:32 PM
Mustang, I agree with Rob, I've seen plenty or people camping up at ocean lake with boats, I have seen them both parked up in the dunes at their camp site and also just high up on the beach down in front of camp. I think its just a matter of luck in terms of where you can be park and as with all things fraser you deal with what it deals you that week. I was up there in may and we had access from the gutter through to the north ramp at all tides. First time I have seen it myself that way for 4 years (annual may trips).

Scott

mustang5
04-07-2013, 09:10 AM
Thanks Fellas. To get to Ocean Lake do I head down the track to Waddy pt beach, and then simply head up the beach? Or do I continue through the inland track?

Cheers

Out-Station
04-07-2013, 06:35 PM
Along the beach, do a search for a camping trip that phil did up there a little while back, a few pics of ocean lake beach camping area in that thread I think.