PDA

View Full Version : Bow roller to suit SARCA

NTMID8
31-01-2013, 10:37 PM
Guys and girls,

I have been searching high and low for a bow roller to suit my #2 SARCA, i know there is the factory one but im loathed to spend $260 on it! Surely another company makes a bow roller with an opening wide enough to fit the SARCA?

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Cheers

dnej
01-02-2013, 12:22 AM
88722I just had one made to suit. Works great
David

tenzing
01-02-2013, 06:00 AM
Made my own. Works fine
Cheers
Brendan

NTMID8
01-02-2013, 05:48 PM
So short of making/customising one there is no "off the shelf" products?

dnej
01-02-2013, 07:45 PM
http://www.anchorright.com.au/downloads/bowsprit.pdf

There you go. The Sarca bow spit
David

thelump
01-02-2013, 07:55 PM
Mate instead of changing the bowsprit change the sarca. I made a few minor mods on mine with the trusty grinder and now it fits my bowsprit perfectly. Will take some photos in the morning!

tenzing
01-02-2013, 08:04 PM
Hey lump, mines just a normal old cheap bow roller with the orignal roller replaced and a new roller positioned to fit in the notch in the Sarca.
A fairly simple job, self launching and inexpensive
I had a Sarca bowsprit but it was too long or wide for my boat.
little bit of fun figuring out what to chop up , and a few bucks worth of bolts nuts and poly rollers.
Cheers
Brendan

thelump
01-02-2013, 08:27 PM
Wandered out and took a couple of snaps. Just ground down a bit of the front section so my pin would go through and stop it from going forward. The back pin goes through the chain to hold it off the boat. All good.

Jarrah Jack
01-02-2013, 08:37 PM
Go to Lone Star marine and have a look at their roller setup. It worked perfectly with my sarca.

NTMID8
01-02-2013, 09:27 PM
Dnej - Thanks for the link, im aware that SARCA make one but i paid $250 for their anchor, im not paying another $260 for $80 worth of steel to hold it!

Tenzig - What stops the chain and anchor jumping over the roller? I have a micks winch and worry that as the anchor comes up it will jump out of the holder without the top pin.

The lump -Thanks for the idea but i dont want to cut up my anchor.

To clarify i currently have this design of bow roller
http://www.arnoldsboatshop.com.au/hinged-bow-roller-29410-m/dp/8933
and its no good for the new set-up. The boat is currently at the fibreglasser having a custom made bowsprit (like a fibreglass nose extension) fitted and then i need a new bow roller.

Jarrah Jack - Nice bow rollers but again $200 plus. Ideally id like to spend less than $150.

I might forward the specs of the SARCA design to my uncle and see how much his workshop could make one for.

tenzing
01-02-2013, 09:45 PM
Mate the placement of the rollers fits in exactly to the concave inner shape in the Sarca which holds it up snug as a bug. Cant jump past the home spot.
When travelling there is one of those safety rope thingys with hook to the chain to pevent accidental drop of the anchor.
Pin is used to keep rope captive when at anchor.
Cheers
Brendan
ps. Has been several hundred hours in use without drama

tenzing
01-02-2013, 09:49 PM
I guess if you were really worried you could drill the anchor to place the pin.
I intended to , but it hasnt proved necessary.

NTMID8
01-02-2013, 10:57 PM
Sorry to clarify i have no worries about the anchor jumping while moving, i mean i worry while im retrieving the anchor it will jump over the lip of the roller. Remembering i have an electric winch with only 1 retrieval speed

tenzing
01-02-2013, 11:33 PM
Yes me too.
You can alternate on and off when most of the chain is up and use the switch to deftly jiggle the anchor to flip itself right way up, as it wants to do, then just bring it in gently.
It will stop when it gets fully home and any further pulling with the winch will want to tear your bowsprit off rather than lift the anchor out of the fit of the rollers - I kid you not!
if your anchor is the same shape as mine ( I note that Lumps is different), then if your direction of pull from the winch is , like mine, about parallel with the bowsprit then the direction of retrieval will tend to seat the anchor . you wouldnt want to be pulling from a good angle above.
Cheers
Brendan

ozscott
02-02-2013, 07:03 AM
Does this help. Similar long shank anchor

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?189280-Need-new-anchor-and-8-plait.../page3

NTMID8
02-02-2013, 07:49 AM
Ozscott - that might just fit, how tall is the opening (from roller to pin height)? The factory SARCA unit measures 160mm but i highly doubt the SARCA is 16cm at its tallest point. I see you got that from whitworths, how much and do you have a part number?

DaveNkelly
31-03-2013, 07:23 AM
Go to Lone Star marine and have a look at their roller setup. It worked perfectly with my sarca.

Jack, what size sarca do you have and what size bowsprit suits it? i'm looking at a 15lb manson and I'm also having issues finding a "well priced" bowsprit to suit.

are the manson's and sarca's the same size's?

Cheers Dave

Megatop
31-03-2013, 08:24 AM
I had a 25lb Manson Supreme with a hinged bow roller for the past few years which was a pain as I had to continually go to the bow to twist the chain and anchor the right way up so that i could stow it.

The shank of the Manson was too wide for the bow roller and would continually jam at 90 degrees as it was retrieved.

I researched and finally went to " Ocean Solutions" at Ormeau and purchased a Rocna Anchor and a Anchorlift Bow Roller (made in Norway) which solved the problem. Anchor stows perfectly every time in one action and locks in position with a loop over the top of the shaft so it doesn't jump out of the bow roller.

If you go the the website for " Ocean Solutions" you will see what I mean. Different sizes available.

I,ll post a photo if I can work out how to.

Adrian

Jarrah Jack
31-03-2013, 08:32 AM
Jack, what size sarca do you have and what size bowsprit suits it? i'm looking at a 15lb manson and I'm also having issues finding a "well priced" bowsprit to suit.

are the manson's and sarca's the same size's?

Cheers Dave

I've sold the boat and the sarca with it. Lone star have three different length bow rollers to suit all sizes. Best to ask Malki yourself, his number will be on his website.

Megatop
31-03-2013, 08:40 AM
Photo attached I think.

Megatop
31-03-2013, 08:46 AM
A couple of more photos.

NTMID8
01-04-2013, 07:18 PM
Well ive modified the front of my rig totally to suit my anchor. Thoughts?
http://i.imgur.com/Y4BO4VG.jpg