PDA

View Full Version : Centre console V Side console

copie
30-01-2013, 02:03 PM
Hi everyone I have never owned a side or centre console but want my next boat to be one or the other. Some have advised me against side console as they lay over to the driving side others say this is not true. Some say side console is more comfortable than centre console as you normally sit closer to the transom?. I am looking at boats around 5.0m to 5.2m size hopfully plate alloy.
Please let me know your thoughts or your own experiences on these two.

Thanks Mark

tropicrows
30-01-2013, 03:54 PM
Mark, I'll be following this thread with keen interest, as I'm in a similar situation.

Si
30-01-2013, 04:13 PM
I personally like both :-) Each has their pros and cons. Personally i like the side console in smaller boats as it allows you a bit more open space on the deck to move around a bit and fish without banging into the console every time you turn around, particulary in smaller boats. generally side consoles are smaller than centre ones and i think centre consoles in smaller boats are a waste of space. In slightly larger bay boats i think i prefer the centre console for better standing and driving against heavier seas and for better stability.

PB
30-01-2013, 05:13 PM
As said above both have there pro's & con's as do all boats. one way to get around the list caused by the driver to one side is to offset the position of the batteries and also mount a live bait tank on the opposite side. for me i would go with the Center Console as I would want to be able to fish up both sides of the gunwale without having to step around the side console.

Spaniard_King
30-01-2013, 05:15 PM
If you anchor much at all the center console is the way to go... if you move/drift fish more than anchor the side console would be better

less room at rear of side console so anchor fishing is not as good

Tailortaker
30-01-2013, 05:42 PM
I have a side a side console and love it. I have dual batteries on the other side which helps with the slight lean. My boats still has plenty of room to fish out the back comfortably and I prefer the setting arrangements for passangers much better with the side console.i also love the fact the the side console gives me heaps of room to roll my swag out down the side when I camp in the boat.
Cheers, TT

Dantren
30-01-2013, 06:19 PM
If you are doing long runs in rough conditions, your back will thank you for going with center console. It's quite difficult to stand and drive the side console, but I'm 6'7 lol.
Regarding shade, you can have 360 degrees of fishing in a CC by using a T-Top. Most SC's have the bimini type(not that there's anything wrong with that)

Axl
30-01-2013, 07:20 PM
I agree with Dantren, I have a 5m c/c and I love it they are a pure fishing boat as you can access all perimeters of the rig as it is required. Whilst I have not owned a s/c I have heard people talk about not being able to stand in them whilst under way, in a boat 5m or smaller you need to bend the knees as conditions require. The guys up north tend to have them built with the console near the stern but not all are like this mine is just forward of mid and it works a treat.

johncar
30-01-2013, 07:29 PM
I like Centre Console because I like to fish unobstructed the perimeter of the boat depending on what I am doing on any fishing day and also like to head offshore on a decent day. I haven't ever owned or fished out of a side job but I am sure that the side console would annoy me for both fishing and driving, but it would depend on your intended environment and fishing style I would think.

copie
31-01-2013, 07:41 PM
Well at this stage it appears that centre consoles are the more popoular choice. It does not seem as though many fishers own a side console.

Keep the replies coming
Mark

cobiaman
31-01-2013, 07:46 PM
Yep, centre console for me too...

SUPERDAFF
31-01-2013, 09:24 PM
Copie I owned a 15' 9" side console CruiseCraft and it was singularly one of most impressive boats I've ever been aboard. It allowed unfettered access through the centreline of the boat- and what do you spend most of your time doing? Probably not driving. Thanks to offset fuel tanks and battery, it ran flat and true. I saw the boat a couple of months back and the owner (about the fourth) was fully in love with it. You also could have a kip along the centreline. Unreal. Having said that, the guy over the road (perhaps 120 kg) purchased a side console tinnie of around 15'. The manufacturer put the battery on the same side as the console and also had the console well aft in the context of the overall length. It's not a good outfit and needs full trim in with a 70hp to even run anything like flat. Bottom line - it's as much about the boat and its overall design, as it is about whether it's side or centre console ... and that means never, never, never buying anything you haven't tested for yourself on the water.

copie
01-02-2013, 10:20 AM
Copie I owned a 15' 9" side console CruiseCraft and it was singularly one of most impressive boats I've ever been aboard. It allowed unfettered access through the centreline of the boat- and what do you spend most of your time doing? Probably not driving. Thanks to offset fuel tanks and battery, it ran flat and true. I saw the boat a couple of months back and the owner (about the fourth) was fully in love with it. You also could have a kip along the centreline. Unreal. Having said that, the guy over the road (perhaps 120 kg) purchased a side console tinnie of around 15'. The manufacturer put the battery on the same side as the console and also had the console well aft in the context of the overall length. It's not a good outfit and needs full trim in with a 70hp to even run anything like flat. Bottom line - it's as much about the boat and its overall design, as it is about whether it's side or centre console ... and that means never, never, never buying anything you haven't tested for yourself on the water.
Hi SUPERDAFF sounds like that cruise craft was well designed and thought out in its production. Problem here is most side console alloy production boats now whatever brand have fuel tank in the middle and suprising to me most have the battery on the console side along with the console so obviously placing the basis of the load on the driving or console side hense the boat should lean over to that side unless other weight is added to compensate.

Mark

Dantren
01-02-2013, 04:31 PM
Seems like a shame to sell the haines Mark. She looks very neat.

ericcs
01-02-2013, 05:09 PM
my brother inlaw owns a 5m quintrex reconfigured bowrider to topender sc specs with a 100hp 4st yamaha. i'm not sure on the fuel tank placement, but it sits flat with the batteries on the port side. if you like driving sitting down, its a very comfortable ride being that far back in the boat, but you are prone to a bit more spray also

oldsalt52
01-02-2013, 06:26 PM
Hi,
I have a quintrex 490 topender tournament with a 70 4 stroke yamaha centre console
have previously owned tiller and forward control boats and would never change back,I also wouldn't like to drive mine from the side when conditions are not favourable.
Can easily fit a swag down the side,cooker up on the front casting deck.
Organise a test drive and try both yourself, you will quickly decide.

NAGG
01-02-2013, 07:28 PM
Having only owned center & side console boats I can assure you that it boils down to the fishing that you want to do - preferred style & where you fish (distance travelled).
For offshore & serious bay work ( bait , trolling) The CC wins due to the better balance & rear fishing area . Standing is almost a given on all but the calmest days ..... so a CC with a lean seat is the way to go and it is just as good with one as it is with 2 or 3 on board . A CC with a raised cast deck makes for a good pelagic casting boat as well.
The side console comes into its own on flat water ( rivers , lakes , creeks) but depending on the hull design they are quite capable in bays and even inshore work - If you dont flog it - even light offshore work (we've fished the Gold coast 36's in sub 5M SC boats . The reality is though these boats are really meant for lure casting by the way of their large forward cast deck. That said - a well designed layout with multiple seat positions can see you fishing off the transom without too much difficulty 8-) ( I designed my SC to be an all rounder - with the console further forward , drivers position further forward & an extended cast deck ....... this gave me a good area to fish off the transom as well as an exceptionally large cast deck.) For long flat water runs - the SC rules with comfortable seat positions for 2 or 3. SC boats do usually have a lean when fishing solo but they can be balanced out .

In a nut shell - if you fish offshore , inshore & bay - trolling or bait fishing ..... Then the CC should be chosen.
If you are a lurecaster in rivers , lakes & bays .... then the SC is a better choice (the lower profile console is less obtrusive)

Chris

copie
01-02-2013, 08:26 PM
Seems like a shame to sell the haines Mark. She looks very neat.
Yeh funny thing with boats for me anyway you just get them right with all the bells and whistles and then have a want for something different. I do believe whoever the haines goes to will be very happy and proud to own a good and good looking boat.

Mark

copie
02-02-2013, 07:17 PM
bump... bump

Tailortaker
04-02-2013, 07:16 PM
What is your intended use ??? I have allready commented but alot comes down to what you want out of the boat. I have fished out of both and bought the side console and never looked back. I fish creeks, estuary, dams and offshore in mine. I also noticed that alot of the votes for centre console were from guys that had one and never fished out of a side console or guys that have never had experience with either so at the end of the day it comes down to your intended use. Oh by the way I can easily stand whilst at the helm although I'm only about 175cm tall.

Schulzy
04-02-2013, 09:20 PM
Hey mate I have a 4,3 cc old quinny real old lol and my mate has a bluefin 4.55 sc the bluefin is super wet in chop it is a pain to troll from it sits to the side it is a pain to sleep in if there is two on board but if you want to cast lures buy one but for anything else forget it. The old quinny you can walk all the way round cast net crab fight fish all around the boat you can still cast from the front back sides sit on the esky/ seat put it anywhere a cc is just that tad bit better for an all rounder but at the end of the day it is entirely up to you what you want I'm sure there would be some one on here that could take you for a quick run for a tank of fuel