PDA

View Full Version : Road closures wide bay area - how long?

simonpp82
30-01-2013, 08:58 AM
Firstly, commiserations and all the best to those affected by the floods. I had planned to travel from Tweed to be in Bargara by Thursday night/ Friday morning this week. It looks like the Bruce is cut at Gympie and Childers and I'm assuming a lot of the roads in Bundy are well and truly under.. Can someone who knows the area give me an idea of how long these roads might be closed? Is getting to Bargara this week realistic?

Cheers - Simon

Giffo65
30-01-2013, 09:14 AM
Simon

I am hoping to get home to Bargara on Saturday,I am working Down the coast.Bundy has had 2metres more water than we got 2 years ago.I have doubts even once the water goes down, how the roads conditions will be.If you just need to pick up something, I will be coming back from Bargara to Goldie early next week, if I get home that is !.

astro66
30-01-2013, 01:26 PM
mate you should get through thursday/friday... road will be torn up and heaps of road works... http://www.racq.com.au/travel/drive_travel/road_conditions
im back to moranbah on monday weee cant wait for an extra couple of hours its going to take to get back...

simonpp82
30-01-2013, 08:35 PM
Thanks guys. It's not a necessary trip so it's going in the too hard basket! Good luck to you though, looks like it will be a mission at best.
Cheers - Simon

wags on the water
30-01-2013, 09:07 PM
This was from 2 hours ago.

CQ Flood Update

MAJOR CLOSURESCurrent situation:The Bruce highway is now open both ways at Gin Gin, which means that you can drive from Rockhampton to Brisbane, and supplies can get through. There is a huge amount of traffic backed up, so if you can, please avoid traveling. Also be mindful that the Yeppen lagoon will cut access to Rockhampton from the South, this is predicted to happen sometime w...ithin the next 24 hours, according to official sources.All western roads from Rockhampton to the coal fields are closed. You cannot go any further than Dululu, Neerkol Creek and the Dawson River. You cannot travel from Dululu to Duaringa or Dululu to BananaYou can now travel from Rockhampton to the Coalfields Via Calliope and Biloela, traffic restrictions are in place, so allow extra time for the trip, due to weight restrictions on the damaged bridge, they only allow one vehicle at a time across it, so be prepared for a long wait.The water has peaked at Chinchilla, and is slowly dropping, until this road is cleared, the western Highway will be cut, so there is no access Brisbane- Mackay via that route. BRUCE HIGHWAYOPEN- Mackay - RockhamptonOPEN- Rockhampton-GladstoneOPEN- Miriam ValeOPEN- Gin Gin (lots of traffic, please avoid if possible)Gympie open to light vehicles only, traffic control in placeCAPRICORN HIGHWAY- (Rockhampton- Emerald)CLOSED at Dawson River (Between Westood Turn off and Duaringa)CLOSED at Neerkol Creek (Structural damage to road/bridge)OPEN- Duaringa -EmeraldDAWSON HIGHWAY (Gladstone-Springsure)OPEN- Biloela – Calliope (Speed restrictions, traffic control in place at Double Creek Bridge)OPEN- Biloela to Moura (with caution, surface damage)OPEN- Rolleston to SpringsureROCKHAMPTON- GRACEMERE RDOPEN (possible closure within 24 hours, depending on water height)BURNETT HIGHWAY (Rockhampton- Monto)CLOSED- Box Camp lagoon (Biloela-Dululu) (Structural damage to road/bridge, repairs underway)OPEN- Mt Morgan-Dululu (via Razorback, main Range closed due to landslides)OPEN- Monto- Biloela, NEED REPORT- Monto- EidsvoldFITZROY DEVELOPMENT RD (AKA The Beef Road, Dingo-Peak Downs Highway)OPEN- Middlemount- Peak Downs HighwyaNEED REPORT- Duckworth creek (Dingo)PEAK DOWNS HIGHWAY (Mackay- Clermont)OPENYEPPOON RD (Rockhampton-Yeppoon)OPENEMU PARK RD (Rockhampton- Emu Park)OPENLEICHARDT HIGHWAY (Dululu-Taroom)OPEN- Mt Morgan- DululuCLOSED at the Rannes Bridges (Dululu-Banana)

Sevric
31-01-2013, 05:36 AM
The river is receding quite quickly now however there are still a lot of local road closures; at the moment Bagara is inaccessible. In a day or two it will be accessible I would think. I do not know why you plan to go but Bagara has been smashed; I would not go there with out a dammed good reason. There is still no power there as rescue crews have been unable to get to some parts of it.