PDA

View Full Version : Re Power ETEC 60 HP or 4 Stroke 60 HP ?

patrol50
29-01-2013, 02:55 PM
hi all - about to really retire and go serious fishing a bit more often so tossing a few options about one of which is to repower my current rig which is a lightly used Quintrex 470 coast runner which has a 2007 - 50 hp merc 4 stoke ELPT EFI on it which is also lightly used and in good nick but i would like a little more power at times so thinking about a re power of the quin with a 60 hp etec or maybe a 60 hp 4 stroke merc , yamie or suziki or similar

would be interested to hear any comments good or bad about the 50 hp / 60 hp etecs from any current owners

thanks in anticipation
cheers rob

hooknpull
29-01-2013, 04:07 PM
Can u go the Yamuna 70hp? I got 3 mates with them and I love them. If I ever gets a smaller boat again it will have one of them on it.. cheers

charleville
29-01-2013, 04:12 PM
I have a 2002 4.75 m Quintrex Bay Hunter Caprice with a 60HP carbureted 4 stroke and have no experience with what an eTec might do but I could not imagine that the transition from 50HP to 60 HP would be worth spending money on.

What an eTec might do is give more acceleration from a standing start.

On a cost basis, as you already know, you won't get much change out of $500 on an annual service on a four stroke whereas allegedly at least the first three years of an eTec are maintenance free. On the other hand, I understand from what I read in Ausfish that a container of the two stroke oil that the eTecs use pretty well requires a bank loan.

charleville
29-01-2013, 04:13 PM
Can u go the Yamuna 70hp? I got 3 mates with them and I love them. If I ever gets a smaller boat again it will have one of them on it.. cheers

That sounds like a better proposition than going to a 60 HP to me also.

stevej
29-01-2013, 04:32 PM
the 60 etec is a 2 cylinder rattly piece of crap, but thats just my opinion

ozynorts
29-01-2013, 04:35 PM
The current model 470 quin is rated to 75hp so if that is the case I would think yours could carry the 70hp yammie.

patrol50
29-01-2013, 06:07 PM
yea thanks hooknpull agree the yam 70 is certainly very nice published wt is 118 kg my merc 50 4s is 112 kg so no big deal there i suspect but i will check that out

yes charlie do kind of agree with you that 60 is not that much better than a 50 but a 70 well thats up there - strangely enough i have always had a bit of interestin the etecs after all they are the same technology as the PWC's and they seems to go ok

yea ozynorts my 470 CR is one of the first that was upgraded from the original 460 CR in fact i thought i had ordered a 460 and got a 470 and it is rated to 60 hp but i am sure the later models are no different or stronger than mine - in fact they are probably lighter built

thanks rob

patrol50
29-01-2013, 06:08 PM
the 60 etec is a 2 cylinder rattly piece of crap, but thats just my opinion

and you have owned one and used one stevej have you ???? - interested to know !!!!!!!!

cheers rob

cormorant
29-01-2013, 06:34 PM
hi all - about to retire and go fishing so tossing a few options about one of which is to repower my current rig which is a quintrex 470 coast runner which has a 2007 - 50 hp merc 4 stoke ELPT EFI on it which is in lightly used and good nick but i would like a little more power at times so thinking about a re power of the quin with a 60 hp etec or maybe a 60 hp 4 stroke yamie or suziki or similar

interested to hear any comments good or bad about the 50 hp / 60 hp etecs from any current owners

thanks in anticipation
cheers rob

G'day Rob

Do you do a lot of flat out running currently or are you after more power when there are fat mates on board?

Reason I ask is 10hp isn't a lot as it referrs to the peak HP at max revs for the motors. The changeover to a slightly larger motor will be expensive and depending on coices may not render much difference depending on how you use your baot.

If you are not already running a stainless prop and have the motor set up perfectly ( height , fresh fuel, tune etc) then you can probably get better performance out of your current motor without changing over and put a few more hours on it. Getting rid of all the weight in the boat also makes a huge difference along with moving existing weight you must keep to balance the boat.

A lot depends on how you fish, how far you run and how much use you are going to get from it. It won't be a cheap process.

Check what weight the transom will actually take as it isn't only a HP thing and check which motors are a chance

patrol50
29-01-2013, 06:49 PM
yea thanks cormorant and i agree with much of what you say and you appear to know your stuff re motor set up, props etc - not a lot of difference in the hp but maybe just enough for what i want to do which is a rare sojourn thru the seaway or over the noosa bar or up and around yellow patch for a quick peak out side on a pretty flat day and yes my mates are not getting any slimmer and nor am i to be honest and the boat is hardly ever overloaded with fish believe me ( where are you Charlie !!! ) - so its a moot point whether i really need the extra bit of hp but i guess at the end of the day id really like to have it - had thought of upgrading the 50 hp 4s EFI merc to the 60 hp EFI but would need a new computer etc etc and proabbly end up as expensive as a motor change over to do that
cheers rob

Jeremy
29-01-2013, 06:50 PM
got a 470 and it is rated to 60 hp

If your boat is rated to 60 hp, you are risking your insurance and potentially exposing yourself to $$$ liability if you go above 60 hp.

Either stick to 60 hp or less or ask the manufacturer to re-rate it for you

patrol50
29-01-2013, 07:04 PM
If your boat is rated to 60 hp, you are risking your insurance and potentially exposing yourself to $$$ liability if you go above 60 hp.

Either stick to 60 hp or less or ask the manufacturer to re-rate it for you

yep sound advice - thank you !!!!
cheers rob

charleville
29-01-2013, 07:58 PM
Is the rating based of HP or HP and weight? I think that mine was rated on HP to 70 HP but it was the weight restriction that kept me to a 60 HP four stroke. Not that anyone made a 70 HP four stroke then or probably now, I suspect.

Knotpretty
29-01-2013, 08:43 PM
Been there done that with etecs (my first service ended up costing me $2200 don't ask). Go the yammie if you need to spend your money. I now own a 150 hp merc 4 stroke and love it. KP

patrol50
29-01-2013, 09:21 PM
Is the rating based of HP or HP and weight? I think that mine was rated on HP to 70 HP but it was the weight restriction that kept me to a 60 HP four stroke. Not that anyone made a 70 HP four stroke then or probably now, I suspect.

hi charlie no its based on the hp i reckon as i have the spec sheet for a 2008 quin 470 coast runner which says max hp 60 hp and max transom wt 157 kg - not sure if thats misprint or not those 157 kgs as the 460 was only rated to 120 kgs- they were not offically released i believe until 2008 so the 470 coast runner is a quintrex 2008 released boat

cheers and best rob

patrol50
29-01-2013, 09:24 PM
Been there done that with etecs (my first service ended up costing me $2200 don't ask). Go the yammie if you need to spend your money. I now own a 150 hp merc 4 stroke and love it. KP

ok thank you - no not good karma at all that kind of $ hit on the wallet at a first service - i am losing interest in etecs i think

cheer rob

cormorant
29-01-2013, 10:18 PM

G'day KnotPretty.

Please start a thread and tell us the story behind that one.

$2200 for a first service- 1l of oil, 1 impeller,2hours labour, 3 plugs - ouch . What the hell went wrong?

Rob- yeah a little more power or set up properly can change a boat from average to really enjoyable. I've always had close to top rated on my boats but hardly ever have used it except in dead calm or bar work as the ol' back and legs cop a hammering. Does bring a smile to the face when you can hammer along but in reality unless you do long runs you can rev out your 50 a bit more , use more fuel and get there 2 minutes later and have a whole lot more $ in your pocket overall. We cleared about 100kg of useless crap out of a mates boat the other weekend and no doubt we'll be looking for something in the next month we pulled out of the boat. All the maybe we'll need it stuff we have never used or put in for one trip and never pulled out like the 3rd anchor and chain, extra extra safety gear 200 billion life jackets !!!!- I think they are breeding.

hellfish
29-01-2013, 10:53 PM
Yeah 2200 for first service. Also love to hear that story.
I got a yammy f60 about 18 months ago. Its got near 200hrs on it now and I can only say it is nothing short of brilliant and I've driven 2 other boats with f70s on them and they are better. If you can't go the 70 for rating reasons I'd go for the f60 but with the high thrust gearbox. It is a lower ratio box(2.33:1 for hight thrust, 1.85:1 for normal box I think) that allows u to run a bigger diameter prop. This is a big part of why the 70 is better than the 60.

novice23
30-01-2013, 04:19 PM
I re-powered my 4.55m tinny with a 60hp Honda from a 50hp Yammy.
The Honda is the best motor i've owned by far, but brand aside like Cormorant said above - the extra 10hp has changed my boat dramatically. It gets out of the water quicker especially when fully loaded up on those weekend getaways. Setup is important especially getting the right props - that's where Runaway Bay Marine came to the fore.

Jarrah Jack
30-01-2013, 04:48 PM
Although going from a 50hp to a 60hp is "only" 10 extra hp its actually 20% more power which is not insignificant by any means.

Spaniard_King
30-01-2013, 04:58 PM
PM JB on here.. he went from a 4 cyl 60 Merc EFI to a new model 60 Honda EFI... chalk and chese

stevej
30-01-2013, 04:59 PM
and you have owned one and used one stevej have you ???? - interested to know !!!!!!!!

cheers rob

ive fished on my neighbours old quinny reef master 5-6 times which was fitted with one 2 years ago if that's enough experience to offer a comment

its noisy at all parts of the rev range and shakes at idle, thats in comparison to the etec 75hp which ive expereinced about the same amount of times
its a large capacity 2 cyclinder every other manufacturer offers it in 3 cyclinder

ranga7
30-01-2013, 05:07 PM
Yammi 70 is my vote

Spaniard_King
30-01-2013, 05:13 PM
Hang on I didn't know we had to vote.... put me down for a 60 Honda ::)

patrol50
30-01-2013, 09:19 PM
Thanks guys for the comments and yes looks like the majority call is the extra 10 hp is pretty worthwhile to have just comes down to dollars and sense - although cormorant has a point that a good set up and a bit of wt chucked out might help quite a bit - and yes life jackets do breed i have 6 in the boat

cheers gary - mate would love that honda 60 but might blow my re power budget i think - and yep i also really like the yam 70 but its over my boats HP rating sadly

fair enough stevej - i think i have pretty much gone off etecs mate

and please feel free to vote guys

cheers and my best rob

PS be interested to hear that sad story knotpretty 2200 for first service does sound a wee bit expensive

hooknpull
30-01-2013, 09:42 PM
Patrol I know a surveyor just near dreamworld turnoff that will repower your boat to a 70hp and supply a new plate for it if your interested. I think he charges about $330 if I can remember correctly.

P.s my vote is still f70 with new compliance plate. Gotta love them motors!

patrol50
02-02-2013, 10:33 AM
hi guys - thank to all for the replies - i went with a new mercury 60 HP ELPT EFI 4S Big Foot model from Karee Marine at Rocklea in Brisbane - the final price was sort of within my budget (just) and of course the yamaha 60 HP 4s and suzuki 60 HP 4s both just blew my repower budget away - so had to stay with Mercury but i went for the 60 HP 4S big foot model on Trevor of Karee Marine recommendation and not unhappy with the deal they did for me - and although i havent dealt with them a real lot, have found them quite good and pretty straight to deal with to date.

New OB to be fitted up next week and am looking forward to taking it out for a run and see what difference it makes ( if any ?) - the bay looks a bit sus at the moment though !!!!

cheers rob

Tickleish
02-02-2013, 03:15 PM
The Merc 60 Big Foot is a great OB.

It has alot better take off and can handle loads alot better thean the yammie & the suzi.

You won't be dissapointed it would be my choice for a 60 and the added bonus thats its cheaper..

Good on ya.

NTMID8
04-02-2013, 08:54 AM
Look forward to hearing your thoughts on whether it was money well spent.

patrol50
11-02-2013, 09:30 AM
Hi all - well had the 60 HP EFI 4S big foot Merc fitted on the Quintrex 470 Coast Runner by the pretty capable straight talking boat dealer Trevor Rowe from Karee Marine at Rocklea in Brisbane and took it for its first gentle run and while its early days yet and still has to be run in of course it certainly had more lift from a start and better low to mid range performance than my not so old merc 50 Hp EFI 4s that it replaced - so was it money well spent NTMID8 - well not sure about that but i wanted the extra power (and the deal the very helpful and knowledgble Trevor Rowe of Karee Marine worked out for me was just within my available budget) and i guess i would have possibly considered the well regarded 70 hp Yamaha EFI 4S had it been within my budget and also within my boats HP rating which it wasnt on both counts - but at this stage i am not at all unhappy with the 60 EFI 4S Big Foot Merc as it seems to be an excellent alternative to the 70 Hp Yam and i think the Merc will do the job very well on my boat and its about a couple of $K cheaper than the yam which also has to be good !!!!

if you do go for the Merc 60 HP 4s Big foot with the 20 inch shaft that it is quite a bit longer (approx 4 or so inches) than the standard 60 Hp merc 20 inch shaft outboard which is due no doubt to the bigger and more rugged gearbox and that really caught me out

cheers and my best rob