PDA

View Full Version : Fishing at 5,712 feet

Funchy
29-01-2013, 01:39 PM
I have 2 weeks in Salt Lake City, Utah for work, I had spent a year here working in 2011 and made some great mates, one of which works in at Sportsman's Warehouse (like a BCF on roids!!). So my mate Pete suggests we try a little ice fishing up in the mountains.
We agreed on a 6:30am departure on Sunday. I spent the week keeping an eye on the weather as temps had been down to minus 19C at times and I was hoping for something a tad milder.

Woke up to a reasonably nice morning around minus 4C.

We were heading up to a lake called Starvation Reservoir. It is 5,712ft above sea level (or 1,741M). It is about a 2hr drive from SLC. We got up to the lake around 8:45am, rugged up, rigged up and jump on his 4 wheeler ATV and headed to one of his hot spots.
We drilled holes for the sounder and the 3 rods we were using. The ice was over a foot thick and all up we were fishing in about 60 ft of water.

Peter knows these waters like the back of his hand. He is a pretty good hunter, tells me has hasn't bought meat for over 12 yrs, lives on the spoils of his hunting and fishing. He makes excellent Elk jerky and moose salami (I kid you not!!!)
He tells me we are fishing in the old river bed that existed before the lake (reservoir) was created. He wanted to specifically target perch (which he says is excellent on the chew) and if we sound any trout mid water he will call out to wind up to a specific depth. We were using 6lb line, and a bit of a paternosta type rig. I reckon about 1oz of weight, small jigheads tipped with wax worms (like a maggot). My first drop, 1st minute, bang, fish on and I have my first ever perch and 1st ever ice fishing success.

Next drop same thing. This kept up for about 10 mins then the school moved on. Pete explained the fish would move back so we waited. In the meantime he madly starts winding up, stops, says there is a trout at 24ft, bang, fish on and he pulls up a 17inch rainbow. This is too easy I think!!

So we pull a few more perch in then he says to me "wind up , fast, keep winding, keep winding, stop, hold still, there will be a fish on any second now.... sure enough I felt a subtle bite, struck and I was on!! Pulled up a nice 18 inch rainbow.

Couple more perch come up then he says "another trout at 36 ft" and madly winds up from 60ft, stops, pauses, hooks up again. This time in comes a good perch that went about 13inches (which apparently is pretty big for a perch)

We kept getting a few more perch then the bite slowed so we moved to another spot, got some more perch.

We then moved to shallower water looking for some browns. We stopped at a pressure ridge created by moving ice plates where 2 currents meet. It was in about 50ft of water. Fishing was a bit slow but Pete pulled in a nice walleye (really good eating) and a nice rainbow trout that went 20 inches.

Around 4pm a snow storm appeared and it was a complete white out so we pulled up stumps and headed back.
I reckon it was about 10klms back to our launch spot and you couldn't see 10ft in front of you. I do not have a clue how the hell he did it but he bee lined back to the car!! I had no idea where we were!! We loaded up and drove home in one of the heaviest and intense snow storms I have ever encountered. Took us 4hrs getting home instead of 2.

A great day out with a good mate trying a new form of fishing. I am heading over his place for dinner to eat the perch in coconut tempura batter and a few Bud Lights!!!

Cheers people and stay safe in that crap weather back home!!

Schulzy
29-01-2013, 01:49 PM
That is so awesome bit to cold for me though if u don't mind me asking what job do you do that flys you around the world thanks for the pics

Shark Poker
29-01-2013, 01:50 PM
Fabulous Thread! Many Thanks. Seen that activity on tv, but not explained from the pov of an Australian.
Pauly

Funchy
29-01-2013, 02:05 PM
That is so awesome bit to cold for me though if u don't mind me asking what job do you do that flys you around the world thanks for the pics

Hey Schulzy, I ama supply chain manager for a large company across Asia, USA and Europe. I am very lucky to travel the worl every now and then. I get to go to Turkey in April and think I have negotiated a bit of mediteranean action :thumbsup:

Agrav8_and_Lulu
29-01-2013, 02:08 PM
Wow Funchy how exciting to be exposed to that kind of fishing, well done mate. Looks like you've got all the right gear to be comfortable out there in those verry verrrry cold conditions.

Darren

Funchy
29-01-2013, 02:08 PM
Fabulous Thread! Many Thanks. Seen that activity on tv, but not explained from the pov of an Australian.
Pauly

Cheers Pauly, BTW, the POV of an Ausie includes some extreme contraction of the groin area given the temps::);D

Funchy
29-01-2013, 02:12 PM
Wow Funchy how exciting to be exposed to that kind of fishing, well done mate. Looks like you've got all the right gear to be comfortable out there in those verry verrrry cold conditions.

Darren

Cheers Darren. I borrowed a fair bit of kit from mates here in SLC. I had a shirt, long sleeved shirt, jumper and snow jacket. Big ass boots, ski pants and gloves. Still by the end of the day trhe cold slowly gets to you and your core temp drops then before you know it your extremities are vewry cold. Can see how people get into trouble quick in this climate.A great experience though :D

tunaticer
29-01-2013, 07:27 PM
Onya Luke, looks like a cosy jacket in a mongrel environment there.
Glad you got the time off for a fish tho!

Dan5
29-01-2013, 07:39 PM
Fantastic mate......great to see something totally different and it's impossible to do here aswell..!
Those Perch are redfin arn't they?.........They sure look like the reddies i fished for as a kid in centeral Vic.
Thanks for sharing,

Dan

wayno60
29-01-2013, 09:35 PM
yer yer thats all good and well but where would you rather be????? I belive you call it Gods country

Greg P
29-01-2013, 09:56 PM
Top stuff. I've done the same thing up in northern Finland . -25 Celsius hurling along on a high powered skimobile is a lot of fun.

Funchy
29-01-2013, 11:30 PM
yer yer thats all good and well but where would you rather be????? I belive you call it Gods country

No place like home Wayno!!!

Funchy
29-01-2013, 11:33 PM
Fantastic mate......great to see something totally different and it's impossible to do here aswell..!
Those Perch are redfin arn't they?.........They sure look like the reddies i fished for as a kid in centeral Vic.
Thanks for sharing,

Dan

Yeah Dan they have a very similar look to the reddies but don't think they get as big as the ones back home.

kingcray
30-01-2013, 06:35 AM
great read funchy. Have to do that one day.
I love your 'esky' in the 8th pic.

Funchy
30-01-2013, 06:39 AM
So it seems the Redfin from down under is related to the Utah yellow perch

Utah Yellow Perch - Perca flavescens
Australian Redfin Perch - Perca fluviatilis

finga
30-01-2013, 07:19 AM
At least you don't have to worry about choppy conditions I suppose.

Thank you so for taking the time and effort for the thread Funchy. It is very much appreciated by myself and to me it just emphasizes the point....gees we're lucky to live in Australia.

Funchy
30-01-2013, 07:41 AM
At least you don't have to worry about choppy conditions I suppose.

Thank you so for taking the time and effort for the thread Funchy. It is very much appreciated by myself and to me it just emphasizes the point....gees we're lucky to live in Australia.

Cheers mate. We certainly are. It is not an easy process to go through to go ice fishing. A bit of a pain really. Throwing on the chinese safety boots with a rod in hand and going down the beach is much easier!!