PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Hawaii ???

ozskippy
28-01-2013, 09:41 AM
Hey guys possibly going to Hawaii in the next couple of months and was wondering if anybody had done any fishing in Waikiki ??? Are there any charters worth looking at??

youngy
29-01-2013, 08:47 AM
Ozskippy, i have been a couple of times without going fishing, offshore fishing is more popular than land based so a charter would not be much of a problem.

As for a good charter i am afraid i can't help, my advice would be use the internet and google it and see if any suit the style of fishing you want to do.

There is an area at Waikiki that is closed to land based fishing but you can feed huge Bonefish, this is amazing to see.

Going back in May myself and am taking a fishing rod this time, Trevally seem to be the most popular inshore fish, with Wahoo, dollies and Marlin offshore.

Have fun, fantastic place, our fishing is much better but it is a fantastic place, cheers wayne

ozskippy
29-01-2013, 06:46 PM
Thanks youngy. Yeah pretty excited about going over if I can fit a fish in that would be great but if not its not the end of the world... Looked up a Few charters but very difficult to tell from the net... Might just wait till I am over there and if it works it works if not I will feed the bone fish!!!! Hahaha

youngy
29-01-2013, 09:48 PM
Just go to the rock groyne on the beach in front of where the Zoo is, take a loaf of bread.

Watching a huge Bonefish scoff a whole slice of bread off the surface will have you wanting a fish pretty damn quick, cheers wayne

snapperdan
01-02-2013, 03:19 PM
Maggie Joe goes from Kewalo Basin. Good reputation i believe. Some of the harbours have a charter desk that do all the bookings. I know Kona does. See if you can find a charter desk for Kewalo or other harbours in the area and speak to them.

Get in contact with the charter company you want to use before hand to make sure you know what to expect.

Differences there to here are. All fish belong to the boat. That nice 100 lb big eye you just caught you will not get to eat. They sell it at the fish market and keep the money.

They kill marlin there and sell them. Some boats release marlin but you must first confirm with the boat before you book. There may be a charge for releasing marlin.

You are expected to tip. The fishing trips are not that expensive compared to here. The mates only get the tip. 15 -20% of charter price is standard. If they get you a good fish more. You may be asked to buy a fibre glass mount of your fish as well to remember you trip to the islands. MOstly its lines in as you leave the harbour.

Generally fishing is done with 130lb tackle and fought out of the chair. This may suck if you are winding in little skip jacks etc. You will thank them for this if you happen to hook a monster blue marlin which Hawaii is famous for. Its not a numbers fishery over there. You may get skunked. You might get the world record. Enjoy. Hawaii is a wonderful place.

mckanah gibson
01-02-2013, 03:39 PM
ozskippy,

i was just in hawaii a little over a month ago and went out on a game boat, company called maggie joe sport fishing, they are a good company who one held the record for the biggest bill fish ever landed back in 2009. there boats are also very nice!

the day i went we did no good, it was only half a day for one small tuna. but the conditions wernt very good and not the right season, every other boat also did no well. make sure u do a full day out fishing not a half a day as they take u to different grounds and more likely to catch a few fish.
hawaii is a place that fish done hang around, they are just passing through therefore they say the fishing isn't the best in the world but it is the best in the workd to chase very large fish.
maggie joe also let u keep the fish if it is under 100lb, anything over they sell to the markets like snapperdan said.

hope this helps

mckanah

WalrusLike
01-02-2013, 09:43 PM
You could always ask Netmaker.... He appears to have done a lot of fishing in Hawaiian waters judging by his shirts in his photos. :)

ozskippy
04-02-2013, 07:18 PM
Hahaha see net maker hay!!! Yeah I have heard it is hit and miss.. Probably give it a miss it is my honeymoon so I don't want to get in the stink if the fishing is nothing special!!!!