PDA

View Full Version : Fishing NZ

Escape with LG
26-01-2013, 10:04 AM
Ladies and Gents,

Planning a holiday to NZ in May with the wife and would love to see some fishing action.

We are hitting the South Island. Can you please let me know your good and bad experiences so i can make the most of our trip.

Thanks in advance.

ozynorts
26-01-2013, 11:34 AM
Hey mate. Did some fishing over there at christmas. I was lucky to go out with a guy who knew the father in law. Where on the South Island are you thinking? We fished off Moeraki which is down south. We fished offshore and the prized catch was Blue Cod. From what I could gather the further north you go the better the fishing is.
Cheers
Ozy

Escape with LG
26-01-2013, 05:57 PM
Flying into Christchurch and doing the camper thing for 10days so. Not sure where we are heading exactly atm but will wait to see where all the advice sends me.

Thanks ozy

hungry6
28-01-2013, 07:25 AM
I do an annual fishing trip to NZ and is heading overthere end of feb-march prime atlantic salmon time. You might find around may fishing is pretty much shut down due to cold, but it is possible to head up to bay of plenty for good snapper and mussel of if you're into that. The lobster might still be a goer around Kaikoura, just dont get into the water. Around Christchurch, try the north side mouth of waimakirriri river, but it be bloodly cold at that time of the year

Swanie1975
28-01-2013, 09:19 AM
Cold wont worry blue cod but it can make tying knots awkward when you can't feel your fingers. the aggressive buggers are always around and if you go all the way south, loads of big ones to be found. Worth a trip to stewart island (just the ferry trip alone can be awesome lol) and big blue cod and crays abound.

Snaps and kingies around the top of the South Island (the sounds)generally only in the summer months but always some sheltered water to be found if boating. Good blue cod fishing but check the restrictions and I think the bag limit on blue cod in this area is still 3 per person.

On the west coast of the South Island you could try the charters for big tuna but I'm not sure when they run them due to weather and season.

I used to have family down south where the flyfishing in the rivers is awesome but the old fellas are all gone now.

It depends what sort of fishing are you looking for?

Cheers Ryan