PDA

View Full Version : would you buy a counter rotating motor?

bobbyb
25-01-2013, 05:42 PM
a Brisbane etec dealer has special on at the moment, but are all counter rotating motors.

for a 150 it's about 3K off. would it make any difference if the prop spins the other way .

any body got any thoughts on this. cheers......

Blackened
25-01-2013, 05:45 PM
G'day

As far as I know, makes no difference at all.

Dave

finga
25-01-2013, 05:45 PM
a Brisbane etec dealer has special on at the moment, but are all counter rotating motors.

for a 150 it's about 3K off.
any body got any thoughts on this. cheers......
Yeah. Buy a Honda.

Malcolm W
25-01-2013, 06:41 PM
The only difference will be, prop selection, possible resale and transducer placement.

Depending on what prop you want there may not be as many counter rotating props available.
I'm not sure about the perception of resale.
The transducer placement shoudn't be an issue, but some ali boats only have the little tab welded on the starboard side.

I dont think any of these are a big problem, and all said and done 3k can go towards a lot of other things.

ozynorts
25-01-2013, 06:48 PM
I was wondering the same thing. Not about Etec's..... So a counter rotating engine should not be a problem.

The Woo
25-01-2013, 06:49 PM
If its about 20% cheaper, then yes, no problem here.
Prop choice is less, and props are dearer. Take that into account, and it's all good!

Betty boop
25-01-2013, 07:01 PM
Yeah. Buy a Honda.

I'm in the market for a new outboard, is there something wrong with Evinrude Etec?????? Please tell me!
Betty

ozynorts
25-01-2013, 07:07 PM
some like them and some don't. They are the Gillard of the outboard world.

Betty boop
25-01-2013, 07:15 PM
some like them and some don't. They are the Gillard of the outboard world.
Oh really, still doesnt answer my question - which is whats wrong with Evinrude Etec???? So which brand of outboard motor do you recommend?
Betty

bobbyb
25-01-2013, 07:23 PM
thanks guys, pretty much what i was thinking, butt it would take the shine of a brand new engine a little. and it's a etec.

mite sleep on it.

ozynorts
25-01-2013, 07:23 PM
Personally I prefer 4 strokes. Yamaha is my preference but the others are all up there from what I have heard.
There is plenty of info on here if you would like to read up on them.
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/search.php?searchid=870261
Cheers
Ozy

Steeler
25-01-2013, 08:41 PM
If its about 20% cheaper, then yes, no problem here.
Prop choice is less, and props are dearer. Take that into account, and it's all good!

Not quite re prop pricing

Hop on Fleabay in the states and its quite common to see counter rotating props heavily discounted.

As for buying a counter engine, go for it. Only lost gloss is that its a Etec ( sorry just had to get that in ).

bigjimg
25-01-2013, 09:25 PM
It's only counter rotating if there is another engine next to it rotating in the opposite direction!!!!!Otherwise it is just another outboard.I wouldn't worry too much about what side the transducer is on either,I fitted mine on the port side and there is no ill effect.Go for it.Jim

Darren Mc
25-01-2013, 09:26 PM
Hi Betty boop,

I had a 150 etec which i looked after like it was my baby and i loved the way it went until it started letting me down.
First was an injector failure(covered under warranty), then out of warranty the EMM failed which can be up to $1500 to replace. Then when i decided to trade it in on another motor at an etec dealer, i was offered $2500 for a 2008 150 just out of warranty with 130 hrs on it and it was in excellent condition.

I'm by no means the only one that has had these or worse problems with them, so armed with this info you can make up your own mind.

Ps I now have a yamaha 4 stroke and so far i'm happy with it.(fingers crossed)

johncar
25-01-2013, 09:28 PM
Only issue I would consider besides the prop price and availability is the weight balance of the boat in that most of our regular trailer boats have weight biased to the starboard side which usually is offset by the clockwise rotation of a standard rotation motor so it balances out to a degree.
If you have some extra weight on your starboard side now and add to that a counter rotating anti clockwise prop, the boat may lean significantly to starboard while under way, which may need active devices such as trim tabs to control the roll to starboard.
Severity will depend on the boats design and current weight distribution.

The Woo
25-01-2013, 10:09 PM
Only issue I would consider besides the prop price and availability is the weight balance of the boat in that most of our regular trailer boats have weight biased to the starboard side which usually is offset by the clockwise rotation of a standard rotation motor so it balances out to a degree.
If you have some extra weight on your starboard side now and add to that a counter rotating anti clockwise prop, the boat may lean significantly to starboard while under way, which may need active devices such as trim tabs to control the roll to starboard.
Severity will depend on the boats design and current weight distribution.
I think you might be slightly overstating the effect of a left hand rotating prop AND the abilities of manufacturers to build in a bias toward a particle prop rotation direction..... just sayin

fisho64
26-01-2013, 12:29 AM
yeah I agree Woo.
BUT on some boats the transducer placement can have an effect.
On the port side the blade on a standard rotation is coming up and can put a pressure wave/pulse across trannie reducing performance.

While on the subject if anyone is selling a counter DF115 and would like to swap the box with a standard rotation, let me know!

tunaticer
26-01-2013, 01:05 AM
I seem to recall reading many years ago that the standard prop rotation was settled on because tiller steers were designed to be used left handed. An opposite rotation prop would give a different and harder to control torque feedback to the hand piece.
I think this was on an old mercury or evinrude manual or something.
Forward controlled engines and being the southern hemisphere and the cold water vortex of the coriolis effect I think would negate this argument somewhat however I am sure there are a few mathematicians out there who could develop a formula to check the lunar gravitational pull that may interfere with the harmonic pitch balance in the occurance of a gamma radiant solar flare. Either that or the fact that it is an ETEC could prove to giving less than desired effects.

bobbyb
26-01-2013, 08:02 AM
thanks for all the responses, but i just can't help feeling it's just not rite.

i guess it's about how much i value money over how much i love my boat. i an a fusspot about my boat and we all want them set up right because thats our little part of the world where we can escape and every thing is ideal. maybe sleep on it a couple more nights.

has any one out there actually had a boat with a single counter rotating motor????

Fed
26-01-2013, 08:25 AM
I'm with John on this, post #15.
Dashboard, steering, gauges, wiring, battery, driver, it all adds up.

Then there's the resale, I bet a lot of people would be put off when you point out it's a lefty.

Having said that I don't know if it would be noticeable but not worth the risk in my books. It's just not right.

caravellerob
26-01-2013, 08:59 AM
Bobbyb a mate and I were halves in a 6 metre riptide centre cab, we had a 95 model suzuki 200 2stroke counter rotation. We had to trial a few different props to get the best out of it but there was no problems in having a counter rotater on the boat. It was a bit more difficult getting a prop (ended up with a 4 blade mercury offshore) if you can get the right prop for it easy enough I would have no problem in buying another counter rotater. One other thing to look at is at least you won't get your prop stolen (not by somone who knows what they are looking for anyway)

rocklobster
26-01-2013, 08:57 PM
A counter rotating engine makes absolutely no difference to the performance . Prop thrust under heavy accelaration will make it pull down on the starboard side and with a standard rotation ,pull down to port. I read somewhere where who ever the guy was who invented outboards decided he would make them stardard rotation and thats how it started . Read the yank forums and before there was CR engines ,they used to run two standards which would have caused a lot of prop torque pulling down to the port side . Propellers are just as easy to purchase as a standard rotation . i was reading a few nights ago where an engine salesmen in the states sells a lot of outboards to Mexico and sells as many CRs as SRs . People automatically see a CR and assume it has come of a cat . I have a 250 hp CR on a 6 meter boat and you would know the difference . If you are getting it at the right price buy it , Just dont buy the etec.

Spaniard_King
27-01-2013, 09:43 AM
thanks for all the responses, but i just can't help feeling it's just not rite.

i guess it's about how much i value money over how much i love my boat. i an a fusspot about my boat and we all want them set up right because thats our little part of the world where we can escape and every thing is ideal. maybe sleep on it a couple more nights.

has any one out there actually had a boat with a single counter rotating motor????

I have sold 2 150 counter rotating engines to mates who have no issues with the setup, I can give you there numbers if you want to chat with them

bobbyb
27-01-2013, 10:25 AM
thanks gents, so it seems it' more all rite to buy a lefty then buy a etec.....

i think they are cheap because not only are they a lefty but there a etec, haven't heard to many people praising them lately, a forum like ausfish can have a huge impact on a business, but thats the new world of social media for you. had a brand new df150 lined up but when i turned up with a pocket full of cash i found he was wrong about the leg length. any one know where i can get a good (low hours) 150-175 (20inch) give me a bell. maybe some one out there that repowerd and wish they had gone bigger. cheers.......