PDA

View Full Version : Fish feel no pain!

spelchek
25-01-2013, 11:55 AM
Well... at least according to this article (http://www.news.com.au/technology/sci-tech/fish-feel-no-pain-scientists-have-concluded/story-fn5fsgyc-1226556125441).

IT'S a debate which has raged for decades and been used by extreme green groups to attack fishing as cruelty masquerading as sport, but new international research claims fish don't feel pain when struggling on the end of a line.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/technology/sci-tech/fish-feel-no-pain-scientists-have-concluded/story-fn5fsgyc-1226556125441#ixzz2Iwbwvsz0

kind_cir
25-01-2013, 11:58 AM
Um, yes they do.

Just saying.

spelchek
25-01-2013, 12:00 PM
Um, yes they do.

Oh well, with scientific reasoning like that, I couldn't hope to argue. :)

kind_cir
25-01-2013, 12:43 PM
Oh well, with scientific reasoning like that, I couldn't hope to argue. :)

Prof Rose said fish did not possess the highly developed neocortex needed to feel pain, so don't experience it in any meaningful way like humans.
The did have nerve cell endings called nociceptors which initiate the sensation of pain, but only in extremely small numbers.
"It is highly improbable that fish can experience pain,'' Prof Rose said.

Um, so yes they do.

spelchek
25-01-2013, 01:36 PM
Sorry - and I'm not trying to be a smart-arse - but what you quote is saying it is "highly improbable that fish can experience pain" (based on the research results). I don;t see how you can quote this and then say [categorically] that this indicates they do feel pain.
PS - not my research, just throwing it out as an interesting, topical read.

kind_cir
25-01-2013, 01:45 PM
Sorry - and I'm not trying to be a smart-arse - but what you quote is saying it is "highly improbable that fish can experience pain" (based on the research results). I don;t see how you can quote this and then say [categorically] that this indicates they do feel pain.
PS - not my research, just throwing it out as an interesting, topical read.

Yep, they feel pain then. Or if you like we can call it hurties. Fish gets hook in mouth, fish has hurties.

Just saying.

Ps: researched by many, 2-3 year olds, hurties is real.

Lol, this rain is driving us nuts,... Can't wait to get back to fishing, and my happy place.

spelchek
25-01-2013, 02:05 PM
No it doesn't, yes it does, no it doesn't.

Have fun.

ozynorts
25-01-2013, 03:07 PM
Just watched an episode of Fishing Addiction and the Wahoo they gaffed certainly looked to be experiencing pain as it was impaled. Just my observations....

ifish86
25-01-2013, 03:16 PM
yea i pulled some large parasites off a lil bream last week then ran the knife over the bite wound and the fish went ballastic.

Gon Fishun
25-01-2013, 04:45 PM
yea i pulled some large parasites off a lil bream last week then ran the knife over the bite wound and the fish went ballastic.

Ya supposed to warm the blade first. ::)

finga
25-01-2013, 06:52 PM
Why do most go banana's when they're hooked?

Lordspink
25-01-2013, 08:47 PM
If you're going to eat said fish whats the best way to despatch said fish ye ol' brain spike or...?

QuinTin
25-01-2013, 10:11 PM
how would a human act with a hook in their mouth ? zing away have fun with that one
i know lets ask the fish ;D

tunaticer
26-01-2013, 07:17 AM
I acknowledge that fish are reactionary to stimulus that is outside of the normal environment. Studies show their nerve sensors for pain are far removed from our human sensory system. Does that mean they have a sense of touch or feeling without the pain factor? Does that sensation they feel give an automatic remove yourself from danger response??

It is an interesting topic well worth discussing. I know I have repeatedly caught the same fish within minutes of a capture before.....would not that pain shut down it's feeding habits? Many times I have caught bream with a large bite missing from thier backs, yet they must have returned to feeding soon after the event.

I think for the most part fish are instinctive of habit and react accordingly. If something annoys them they flee, if something approaches them that is not part of thier normal environment they flee. If a hook lodges in their mouth they try and flee.

Fish learn quickly of something that they react to, but do they have a long term memory of that stimulant or do they relearn that stimulant each time?

I can pull out any lure i used a month ago today and use that lure to good effect, yet if i pull out the lure I used yesterday on that fish the result might be different.

Personally I throw my keeper fish into an ice slurry (if i remember to take ice along) to settle them down.