PDA

View Full Version : How bad is a crack in the keel of an old glass boat?

Adam_G
23-01-2013, 06:02 PM
I'm going to have a look at a 4m fibreglass dinghy advertised for sale but it has some damage to the keel. Seller says it was caused by having the hard blue rollers on the trailer and travelling without the tie down strap on. I haven't seen the damage yet so just going on his word.

Apparently there are some cracks.

What are your opinions about how structural/critical could this damage be? Or will it possibly be just gel coat damage.

I have also heard of some older boats having steel (rod?) glassed in the keel but cannot get an answer about how,why of if this used to be done.

I know it is hard to comment without pics but please help me with your opinions as a starting piont. I'm working to a small tight budget so smart informed decisions are crucial.

Thanks Adam

Wayne_Red
23-01-2013, 07:07 PM
IMO damage to the keel from a roller is not to much of a problem and easily repaired by yourself. You said its quite old and at a budget price, so a bit of damage might help in your favour with the price. Does it have a floor in it? Doesn't really matter, you can still repair it from the outside by grinding out the damaged area. I say go for it. If you don't know much about fibreglasing there is plenty on here about it or put up a post with photos when you start and ask for help.
Regards Wayne

Adam_G
23-01-2013, 07:26 PM
Thanks Wayne,

Don't have glassing experience yet... but through a few contacts and old posts here I would give it a go.

My main worry is severe structual damage which equals time and money, and I don't have a lot of either to spare.

Adam

cormorant
23-01-2013, 11:10 PM
Couple of things

Are the cracks in the gelcoat only or is the hull cracked all the way through and leaking?

Never heard of steel rods in FG boats. On dinghys there was often a brass and later stainless strip that protected teh boat from damage when beached or resting on teh ramp especially when no trailer was used and it was skull dragged up teh shore.

So you don't get a dog is there someone that knows a bit more you can take with you. If not look at it and take plenty of photos and someone here might be able to tel you if it is OK condition and Ok value.

If it is advertised just put up teh link to teh address and people will comment.

Unless it is a absolute gift don't understimate what it will cost to get in a safe useable condition. Trust me many of us have bought crap in teh past and it rarely turns to gold without huge time and money when often there was better stuff just around teh corner.

Rip it up
24-01-2013, 07:37 AM
It would have to nearly for me to look at a damaged hull. Both my cheap Reno's were sub $250.

Keel fractures are easy repairs if you can flip it upside down to work on it.

Adam_G
24-01-2013, 05:48 PM
http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=14004859&Silo=Stock&Vertical=Boat&Ridx=31&eapi=2

link to boat. I think the photos in the ad may be a bit old. Will get more pics tomorrow. Asking price is way too high now seller has disclosed there is some damage.

thelump
24-01-2013, 07:10 PM
Adam I know a bloke who is selling a glass dinghy. May even live very close to you!

Adam_G
24-01-2013, 08:53 PM
wouldn't want to touch that one, I've seen the idiots that go out in it...

ozynorts
24-01-2013, 08:57 PM
The external transom looks dodgy.

cormorant
24-01-2013, 09:49 PM
That boat has had alot of Mods to the hull and transom by the look of it.

Is there a reason in that size boat tiller steer you are looking at a glass one rather than a alloy tinny? I'm a FG boat lover as they ride so well and quiet but in that size a good clean tinny is a lot less hassle. No dings on ramps , no scratches , lighter to handle at teh ramp etc etc.

Adam put up your budget and what you want and you may be surprised what people know is about in neighbours yards unused but honest boats . It is a buyers market out there

Adam_G
25-01-2013, 06:30 AM
Really want to keep away from ally if possible. Tinnies in this range I have owned or used in the past always have cracks or have been welded and once you start repairing them you are constantly chasing the next leak or welding the next crack.

This time I am really after a glass boat and tiller steer in this size. Budget is about 3k.

Jarrah Jack
25-01-2013, 07:02 AM
With a new trailer and if the motors good then I reckon it could be a good buy at say 2.5. If you had some glassing skills or were prepared to learn by reading up on here and getting advice then once you've fixed the boat properly it will last a long time.

I would be on the look out for a Haines Hunter Seawasp but in that price range you would never be sure about the stringers, floor and transom.

My old Quintrex fishabout has never been welded and doesn't look like it ever will. It would get a shock if it was ever washed.

ozynorts
25-01-2013, 07:06 AM
Hey Jarrah, check out this for an ad.....
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/home-hill/motorboats-powerboats/haines-hunter-seawasp/1011774590
This is a sea wasp Adam but you would need to do some work on the "owner" to get the price down.
Cheers
Ozy

Jarrah Jack
25-01-2013, 07:11 AM
Hahaha. At least its kept in the lounge room.

ozynorts
25-01-2013, 07:12 AM
Yep been kept under cover alright.

Adam_G
25-01-2013, 12:59 PM
Yeah the sea wasp is no 1 on my list but very hard to find.

I don't think old mate wants to let go of his up north. ...