PDA

View Full Version : Crabbing Etticate

boshelba
22-01-2013, 12:26 PM
On a recent trip to the Sunshine Coast & leaving some crab pots out of site I was dissapointed that fellow fishers/crabbers had checked & taken the catch inside..

Obviously floats & pots are clearly marked with my name etc

Is this a standard set or just a one off

I feel that this is stealing as it is my property & what is inside

Next time there will be barbed wire & some other trap to serve as a warning those who are of the arsehole class

ta

Nicko_Cairns
22-01-2013, 01:21 PM
mate this is unfortunately a common theme everywhere, crabbing etiquette is long dead.

I cable tie my pots to make it take a smidgeon longer for them to open them, so that hopefully I'll then catch them in the act and have an unfortunate boat on boat collision (if my boat is bigger).

Vitamin Sea
22-01-2013, 01:28 PM
Welcolm to the world of crabbing fella, if they just check your pots you are doin ok, the swines are everywhere.

Still_Dreamin
22-01-2013, 01:35 PM
I think the politically correct term is share farming.

Agrav8_and_Lulu
22-01-2013, 01:41 PM
Try to be near your pot, these people are everywhere. I brought some binoculars so I now for sure what's happening near my pots. Unfortunately it's a bit harder at night. I've even seen people walking knee deep in mud, What's up with that?

Darren

kingcray
22-01-2013, 02:48 PM
mate this is unfortunately a common theme everywhere, crabbing etiquette is long dead.

I cable tie my pots to make it take a smidgeon longer for them to open them, so that hopefully I'll then catch them in the act and have an unfortunate boat on boat collision (if my boat is bigger).

cable tying down here sometimes forces them to 'slash' the pots. Then they are stuffed whether they are still there or not.
Better off doing nothing, at least if they empty out all the crabs, your pots will still be in tact.

Nicko_Cairns
22-01-2013, 03:09 PM
that's natural selection mate, if only we could train up a few crocs.

Try to be near your pot, these people are everywhere. I brought some binoculars so I now for sure what's happening near my pots. Unfortunately it's a bit harder at night. I've even seen people walking knee deep in mud, What's up with that?

Darren

SWANY22
22-01-2013, 06:04 PM
prob easier to sinkem not the right thing to do but at least ya get half a chance

Mike Delisser
22-01-2013, 08:58 PM
Bugger the poor etiquette...they are breaking the law, being caught "Interfering with Fishing Equipment" carries a $250 on the spot fine, if they pinch your pot becomes a criminal offence.

rabbi
22-01-2013, 11:07 PM
Yeah we got them here on the Richmond too.
I always stay near my dillies but that does not deter them at times.
Bout 3 weeks ago I was checking them around a bend and heres a couple of a***wipes in a tinny checking one of them for me.
Same 2 guys that almost ran over us trying to get to a small creek running into the river just 15 minutes earlier so they could set their trap. morons!!

Got some friends at Maclean on the Clarence river that said the locals are getting a bit tired of the pot slashers at the moment too. keeping their gaff blunt just in case they come across them.
Low tide is always a bonus though. Unmarked traps surfacing everywhere;D

Vitamin Sea
24-01-2013, 03:26 PM
I think the politically correct term is share farming.

I don't give a rats about the politically correct term, it's thieving, pure and simple. It's sad times that we all just have to sit back and say, well "that's the way it is",........................... bullsh*t.

What annoys me even more is that it's your fellow fisherman that do this..................................You should be able to take your pots to x place, put them in the water, leave them and go back the next day or whatever to pick them up without them being molested.

It also encourages others to break the law (sinking them) for fear of getting their pots knocked off.

Swines

Pet hate of mine.

VS

Nicko_Cairns
24-01-2013, 07:35 PM
A mate of a mate came around a corner up here on a large popular river and found some burley looking blokes grabbing his pot and putting it into their very small tinny, so he verbally challenged him and they told him it was their pot, not his. So he was in a bigger boat so he launched as fast as he could at them and turned away at the last minute creating the biggest wake he could, apparently their little tinny was almost capsizing in a croc habitat creek and they didn't look as interested in the crab pot anymore, so they threw it in the river and headed off, got his crabpot back but was worried they'd be waiting at the ramp so he waited out on the river a fair while before heading back in.. insert applause, well done mate.

macka17
24-01-2013, 08:06 PM
Hi.
Here in CQ we put the pots in the mangrove creeks
nice and windy. Normally have two boats and fish\come in from each end. Any Share farmers have 4 blokes and 4 baseball bats Whoops Dongers. If we spring ém.
Personally I'd use my Remington Pump but do gooders fixed that.

mortyb
25-01-2013, 12:43 AM
cable tying down here sometimes forces them to 'slash' the pots. Then they are stuffed whether they are still there or not.
Better off doing nothing, at least if they empty out all the crabs, your pots will still be in tact.

I use to cable tie as well but decided I would rather have my pot in the end without being cut. I usually have kids on board so I don't want to challenge them. Soft options I know but just take their details and report them as others suggest. I keep my pots close to where I anchor or areas that are open where they can be seen easily and the fishers don't know who could own the pots. Only the real ba#tards will dare to check them then and they are probably not the ones I would want to confront.

rabbi
25-01-2013, 03:05 PM
I don't give a rats about the politically correct term, it's thieving, pure and simple. It's sad times that we all just have to sit back and say, well "that's the way it is",........................... bullsh*t.

What annoys me even more is that it's your fellow fisherman that do this..................................You should be able to take your pots to x place, put them in the water, leave them and go back the next day or whatever to pick them up without them being molested.

It also encourages others to break the law (sinking them) for fear of getting their pots knocked off.

Swines

Pet hate of mine.

VS
"Fellow fisherman"?? Fat chance, half those blokes couldnt catch a cold if they tried thats why they flog our crabs. Fleas on a dog mate!!

QuinTin
25-01-2013, 06:40 PM
rule 303 ? oh cant do that oops should charge government for the cost of pots seem where not aloud to sink em dont be silly put tags on put floats on them so every one gets to see where they are hahahahaha right who pays the $50 when they are stolen oh of cause us sit on top of them like i do they dont get nicked/ checked

ubar
26-01-2013, 06:43 PM
Its a sad case of affairs at Noosa at the moment and to put it honestly im just glad my pots arnt being stolen. Christmas was ridicolouse as it was a sea of boys and the whole waterway looked like a minefield. Ive been here for 6 months approx and had over 10 pots stolen. I only buy the cheap Big w ones now as they seem less likely to be knicked and only being 13 bucks. It is just a sad state of affairs when you no your pot has been raided , slashed and stolen and is to me just "unAUSTRALIAN". i agree with the boat ramming ideas as till these guys feel fear they will keep doing it. To be honest im going to start sinking mine or tie them off to the mangroves with a tiny little plastic sticker wrapped around the mangrove with name and address on it. Sinking them might be illegall but ive had enough of following the rules and being over 300$ down in crabbing gear and lets face reaility that the only one who is going to defend my mudcrab pots is me and only one going to enforce some justice is me.

Wazzup01
26-01-2013, 09:46 PM
No use having an on the spot fine of $250 when no one is there to enforce it. May as well have the death penalty for all the current enforcemant is worth. The threat of the chance of getting a fine for these scumbags while doing this would be as terrifying as a balloon on a stick to them. They wouldnt even consider it and would probably even think it is their right to do what they do. The next time a share farmer returns to the boat ramp to find all of his car tyres sitting on his roof won't be the last.

Lovey80
27-01-2013, 01:10 AM
If you are going to sink your pots against the law then do everyone a favour and do it where there is absolutely no possibility that on low tide it could get stuck in someones prop. I have only ever interfered with one pot and that was after it got wrapped around my brand new donk and put scratches around the leg. Suffice to say it was unusable after that.

ubar
27-01-2013, 08:13 AM
Yey fair enough Lovey..happened to me 2 with the pot in the prop...been using clear 2 litre coke bottles as boys ....they are alot harder to see at night under the spotty..for the scum.

WalrusLike
27-01-2013, 08:50 AM
I could be wrong but I think this was much rarer back when I was a lad. I can remember my dad saying don't lift the wrong pot or you could get shot. And he was serious.

These days there seems to be no consequences if they are caught in the act. I liked the swamping manoeuvre but not the tyres on roof.

The blokes nearly swamped were the offenders but what if you got the car wrong at the ramp and its some innocent family got screwed by incorrect revenge.

I don't know a solution but I am certain that back at ramp revenge could go wrong.

I think a camera is about the only sensible solution. But it would take a dedicated crabber to go to the trouble of sitting in wait.

I hope the scum suffer a miserable life. Probably likely if that's the way they operate.