PDA

View Full Version : Jet burner - sinker making.

Nicko_Cairns
21-01-2013, 06:55 PM
Just got this bad boy in the post and fired it up this arvo.. it's awesome, can't wait to pick up some bulk lead on Saturday and arc it up.. it should speed up the lead melting process and make sinker/jig head making a lot quicker at my place.

Also doubles as a camp stove (have to buy a small hot plate) and it can be dialled right down, and will be a good crab cooker etc..

jtpython
21-01-2013, 06:56 PM
It's invisible Nicko :P

Nicko_Cairns
21-01-2013, 06:56 PM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/7646221@N02/8400645757/

hope that works?!? excuse the mess, should have swept..

popgun19
22-01-2013, 09:04 PM
looks good Nicko.

Where did you pick it up from and how many Clams ?

Cheers,

Brian

Nicko_Cairns
22-01-2013, 09:11 PM
amazon and just under $70 incl postage which i was happy with as it comes with the regulator, adjustable flow and stand, it will save me hours of melting time over a year or two.

Nicko_Cairns
23-01-2013, 03:35 PM
will post on here in the near future about how it performs during the first sinker session, should be good though.

Firsttimefisherman
24-01-2013, 07:31 AM
This may be answered somewhere else but seeing as you make your own sinkers I will ask. Do you save a few bob making your own? Do you also make your own jig heads too?

Nicko_Cairns
24-01-2013, 10:12 AM
i'm just starting making my own jig-heads, i have a mould for 1.5-4oz jig-heads. i just got some lead through a mate for $1.50/kg so I can make 3 x 12oz sinkers approximately with a kg of lead (or more smaller ones), so with gas maybe that's $2.50 or so for 3 x 12oz and in the shops one 12oz is at least $5 or more.. so yeah you save a lot but it takes up some of your time. I think last sinker cook we got 14kg or sinkers done in a couple of hours but we weren't pushing it at all, so yes is my answer but you need a few free hours one weekend.

I think the best thing is I have probably 60 sinkers just sitting in the boat, so it's one less thing to worry about (and for my mates to worry about when fishing with me) and I don't have to stop off at the tackle store to spend $40 or more on sinkers on the way fishing, so i think it's worth it..

This may be answered somewhere else but seeing as you make your own sinkers I will ask. Do you save a few bob making your own? Do you also make your own jig heads too?

stue2
28-01-2013, 10:42 AM
Plus its fun

Lancair
25-04-2013, 05:42 PM
I picked up some lead yesterday for sinker making @ $2 per kilo of thin sheet lead, ex roof flashing. Then, typically, I'm chatting with a local about the lead, and he tells me of a source for less than half the price, who has heaps. Im going to buy more, could be set for life. How much lead would a be a lifetime supply ? Half a ton ?

With my mates we have moulds, clamps, leather gloves and a big aluminium cooking pot and good ladel. I borrow a glass visor, filter mask from work, which is for toxic chemical use, just for extra safety for the person who is doing the pouring and stiring etc. The rest of us stay away from the fumes as much as possible. We use a 20litre steel drum, with holes punched all around the base and some solid wire racking to sit the pot on, light a fire with hot burning hardwoods in the drum and get stuck into it. Once the moulds are hot from a few quick pours, it runs like a production line making 8, 12 and 16oz sinkers. We're also going to make some 24 and 32's this time, hoping to launch our first shelf trips this winter.

Nicko_Cairns
25-04-2013, 06:01 PM
Haha, not sure mate but half a tonne would keep you going for a fair while!

I picked up some lead yesterday for sinker making @ $2 per kilo of thin sheet lead, ex roof flashing. Then, typically, I'm chatting with a local about the lead, and he tells me of a source for less than half the price, who has heaps. Im going to buy more, could be set for life. How much lead would a be a lifetime supply ? Half a ton ?

With my mates we have moulds, clamps, leather gloves and a big aluminium cooking pot and good ladel. I borrow a glass visor, filter mask from work, which is for toxic chemical use, just for extra safety for the person who is doing the pouring and stiring etc. The rest of us stay away from the fumes as much as possible. We use a 20litre steel drum, with holes punched all around the base and some solid wire racking to sit the pot on, light a fire with hot burning hardwoods in the drum and get stuck into it. Once the moulds are hot from a few quick pours, it runs like a production line making 8, 12 and 16oz sinkers. We're also going to make some 24 and 32's this time, hoping to launch our first shelf trips this winter.

Lancair
25-04-2013, 08:20 PM
I bought 100kg yesterday, but while the offer is there, Im chasing up this other lead too.

tunaticer
26-04-2013, 04:32 AM
I bought 100kg yesterday, but while the offer is there, Im chasing up this other lead too.

Is this cheap lead ex wheel weights?
Wheel weights are an alloy that does not pour well for light jig heads, pure lead is needed. Roofers lead is pure. Battery lead is also an alloy that does not suit light jigheads. These alloys are fine for making normal sinkers though.

Lancair
26-04-2013, 07:17 AM
The lead I bought already is all roofing lead. Im told the other lead is roofing lead, old sinkers and dive weights.

Nicko_Cairns
26-04-2013, 03:32 PM
some good ballast lead around up here at the moment, is good lead.

Lancair
27-04-2013, 10:56 PM
I hope you dont mind me hijacking your thread Nicko.

A mate and I put our wood fired lead melting pots to work this afternoon. In hindsight, these setups worked but could be improved upon for safety and ease of use.
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q153/Biggles70/IMG_0568.jpg (http://s135.photobucket.com/user/Biggles70/media/IMG_0568.jpg.html)

From lighting the fist fire at approx 2pm to pouring the last mould at approx 4.30pm, we turned out 173 sinkers, from 4oz to 24oz. They havent all been finished ready for use yet, but about 20 arent in that pic, they're in my boat ready to use tomorrow morning.

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q153/Biggles70/IMG_0572.jpg (http://s135.photobucket.com/user/Biggles70/media/IMG_0572.jpg.html)

Feral
28-04-2013, 06:39 AM
Simple but effective looking setup for heating those pans!

dayoo
28-04-2013, 12:06 PM
I have melted over 2000kg of lead over the past 3 years for sinkers and jigheads. Wheel weights have zinc and arsenic mixed in with the lead and are no good for pouring jigheads. Battery lead has antimony mixed with the lead which hardens the alloy and is good for hard shiny sinkers and jigheads. Roofing lead with no paint, dive weights and battery terminal lead is what I use

You can get lead poisoning by breathing in the fumes and by absorbtion of the lead oxide on your fingers.

I melt outdoors, have the proper resperator and wear gloves as well as a long sleeve shirt. I had a blood test about 12 months ago and my lead levels were 20 times normal. I've since purchased the proper resperator filters and wear gloves at all times even filing the pouring spruce off the sinkers.

Cheers
Barry

Nicko_Cairns
28-04-2013, 01:20 PM
Nah it's not hijacking if it's related mate, great post thanks. we use cast iron ladels up here, pour well into moulds.

I have melted over 2000kg of lead over the past 3 years for sinkers and jigheads. Wheel weights have zinc and arsenic mixed in with the lead and are no good for pouring jigheads. Battery lead has antimony mixed with the lead which hardens the alloy and is good for hard shiny sinkers and jigheads. Roofing lead with no paint, dive weights and battery terminal lead is what I use

You can get lead poisoning by breathing in the fumes and by absorbtion of the lead oxide on your fingers.

I melt outdoors, have the proper resperator and wear gloves as well as a long sleeve shirt. I had a blood test about 12 months ago and my lead levels were 20 times normal. I've since purchased the proper resperator filters and wear gloves at all times even filing the pouring spruce off the sinkers.

Cheers
Barry

tunaticer
28-04-2013, 01:25 PM
Similar to Barry, I use an electric smelting pot and run a vacuum cleaner at the top of the pot to take the fumes outside of the shed. I do not go to the extent of gloves though......I should. Using a gas cooker would probably move the lead gases around a lot more.
Lead is not some harmless metal at all. I know my memory is pretty well shot these days compared to 20 years ago. Back then i could remember instantly a phone number or measurement and never forget it, now i can't locate the piece of paper I write it down on......