PDA

View Full Version : Help needed in choosing rod/reels

Makita
21-01-2013, 06:37 PM
Just bought my first boat now I need rods & reels & all the bits & pieces that go with saltwater fishing ! I am looking at 2 egg beater setups for snapper, 2 overhead types for trolling & 2 baitcasters for bream & flathead etc . I've got a budget of $200-$300 per combo. Also what tackle etc should I buy first up ? Hundreds of lures , hooks etc in bcf ! I don't have much experience in saltwater , I've fished mainly for trout with a fly rod or trolling back home in nz. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated ! Cheers

Still_Dreamin
21-01-2013, 09:06 PM
Just gone through the same thing. I bought a stradic 4000 on a Sahara rod (will upgrade rod later but it was a package deal) shimano charter special on a live fibre rod. Shimano 6000b on matched rod. Bought them all as packages rods r ok. Bought rods reels and various tackle from bcf, Jones tackle and Dayoo (on ausfish )

Makita
21-01-2013, 09:08 PM
Thanks mate ! If you don't mind me asking, were they under $300 each ?

shincism1
21-01-2013, 09:38 PM
A stradic itself is going to set you back around $230. Beautiful reel though. I'd love one but funds didn't allow at time. I have a daiwa Aird 2500 which comes with a 3000 spool so you can spool them with 2 different sized lines. On a shimano raider 2-4kg soft plastic rod. That together would be around the 300 mark.
Good plastic setup. I have a shimano symetre 1000 on a 2-4kg rod berkly drop shot also but I've stopped using it up in mackay due to land based fishing on 8lb and there been so many snags and rocks. Got sick of snapping line. The upped line handles a bit better. Plenty of options. Check tackle world. Tell them what you want to do. And if you get what most tackle world's have and get the most enthusiastic pro fisho imaginable you will walk out with heaps of great gear. :-) hope that helps at all. Whoops, tangent... Hehe

Horse
22-01-2013, 08:36 AM
Your best bet would be to check out the combos on special around the traps or buy your reels online
I would skip the baitcasters and replace with something like a Stradic 3000. Match to 2-4 kg Trions or Starlo STPs. Next a couple of bigger spinners (Stradic 4000 or 5000) for spin work and chasing Snapper. Look for rods like the STP Maxspin or a Trion 3-6 kg . Your trolling outfit would based around the shimano TLD series (TLD15 to TLD25).
I would not buy two of each outfit. Mix and match rods and reels a bit as what suits one person feels strange to the next. Get one outfit on the heavier side of each slot and one towards the lighter end. See what works for you. Substitute a Tierra etc for a Stradic and see how you like it. Even look at bigger spinners such as the Penn Spinfisher V that can be used for trolling, bottom bouncing and floating baits. You can buy reels cheaper than Stradics etc and they will catch just as many fish and last as long but to me they don't feel as tight.

charleville
22-01-2013, 10:05 AM
You may also like to check out some overseas online sellers for the reels. Google reel-fishing-deals (without the hyphens) and you might get a pleasant surprise at the prices. Many of us have dealt very successfully with this seller. Delivery takes just a couple of weeks. Free international delivery for orders over a certain amount.

Makita
25-01-2013, 06:07 PM
Thanks for the help guys , just brought a shimano tld25 on sale at bcf , now to start saving for a Stradic ! Thanks again guys

MudRiverDan
25-01-2013, 06:11 PM
Seen some Lox combos going for about 280 I think.
Looked ok

Dan

Muddy Toes
25-01-2013, 06:14 PM
Maybe have a look here too.....

http://sneakyfisho.com/index.php/fish/past/

Makita
25-01-2013, 06:17 PM
Yeah I found sneaky fisho, Good site! check it every morning in the hope I can land a deal or a spinning reel