PDA

View Full Version : Boat rebuild - few questions ??

softplasticsdude79
20-01-2013, 01:58 PM
Hi All,

Well my 5m centre console is going along nicely,its currently stripped clean of all paint and is at the engineers being welded/repaired and modded.should have it back by next week.I will then be throwing a few coats of paint on it.

i have a few questions and hopefully some of you may have some answers.

Where can i get a respirator that can handle 2 pack paint ?

Boat has a underfloor fuel tank and will have a 80-115hp on the back,im guessing i will need a fuel/water seperator ?

How do you know when your fuel tank is full when filling a underfloor fuel tank,tank has 2 breathers but would not want fuel coming up the breather lines or up the filler hose neck,BTW the breather are set at the highest point of the boat,i will also run a loop or 2 in them to stop and unwanted fuel surges getting through.

Im going to mix penetrol and enamel and paint the floor of the boat inside is this idea OK ?

Where do i buy the clear thick plastic that you use on the front bow rails as a splash guard ?

Will probably have few more soon.

Adam

Swanie1975
20-01-2013, 08:27 PM
Bunnings have thick clear plastic which you can use for the spray rails. Most trade safety supply shops have respirators for spraying but you should really be spraying in a booth with an air-fed hood for best results and protection.

In saying that I've sprayed loads of jobs at home in the garage with a wet floor and fan going and a simple mask with filters and I'm still kicking. There was a guy in Labrador that used to hire out his booth - don't know if he's still around.

Also, get yourself a pair of disposable coveralls - you may look like a giant sperm but you can absorb the 2pak thru the skin as well so you need more protection than just a mask.

Cheers Ryan

deckie
20-01-2013, 11:14 PM
What is the floor inside made of ? ply ? ally ? checkerboard ?
You mean enamel paint on the deck ?

softplasticsdude79
21-01-2013, 05:49 AM
no,will have a ply-carpet floor,i mean under the floor on the ribs of the boat.