PDA

View Full Version : Mooloolaba Pick Not Holding Anchor

Goldfinch
18-01-2013, 09:19 PM
I bought the recommended size M Pick for my 5.8m cc and when it arrived I was skeptical about its size. I bought the pre-rigged setup with 5m chain and 50m of rope which I joined to my existing 150m of rope. The anchor seems to hold ok in calm conditions but once the wind gets about 10knots it just drags and will not hold, even with 3 times the depth in anchor rope let out. This is so annoying when you line up your marks and distance perfectly and then you drag anchor. I'm very disappointed with this anchor and I think the recommended size is too small for a 5.8-6m boat. It looks tiny compared to the recommended size sarca anchor.

Does anyone have the contact details of the maker of this anchor? I'd love to hear their justification for the recommended size.
Cheers
Dave

Drew70
18-01-2013, 09:29 PM
The secret to mooloolaba picks is the chain to add weight along the reef bottom as the flutes are small.
5 metres chain would be fine your your boat with a plogh in sand but you need at least 10 metres to hold well on the reef.
Ive used these anchors for years and they need chain to work well.

Smithy
18-01-2013, 10:06 PM
You need a tripped plough or danforth in most areas around here. Anchoring on sand and hanging back on structure. Have only lost one tripped plough in 5.5years of commercial operation in some rough stuff at Murphys.

Goldfinch
19-01-2013, 08:28 AM
Yep, I'm hearin ya Smithy. I really don't want to use 10m of chain, 5m of 10mm should be loads on a 5.8m boat. I was using a sarca but lost it on a piece of wreck (after some idiot said I'd be fine to use a sarca on a wreck). Might give the plough a go.