PDA

View Full Version : Boat vs. bank courteousy?

MangroveZac
18-01-2013, 06:36 PM
I have my own opinion on this but would like to know the general consensus amongst other fishers.

Who gets right of way, the bank fisher or the boat fisher??? Or is it just first in best dressed?

Aussie123
18-01-2013, 06:46 PM
Who ever was there first.
It is plain rude to push in on other fishos no matter where or how they are fishing.

Prowl n Wolf
18-01-2013, 06:55 PM
if the bank is next to a boat ramp, and the only place to put the boat, then the boatie has every right in my opinion.

BLOOEY
19-01-2013, 08:15 AM
Bank fisho's, Boaties have way more options up there sleeve and some spots fish better from the bank. Ben

Owen
19-01-2013, 02:02 PM
Depends on the scenario.
Was trolling at 1770 once about 100m from the rocks and some goose lobs a lure directly in my path (good cast) and then proceeds to start waving his arms for me to go around.
Must have been a high speed lure because he got it back in pretty quick ;)
Sure I could have moved out to 200 or more meters, but I was where the bait was showing.
If he'd been floating a bait out then maybe a different story.

MudRiverDan
19-01-2013, 02:11 PM
All my fishing is bank fishing and if your dodging boats then you fishing in the wrong spot.
Unless if your on a jetty near a boat ramp then boats are a given.
Rock wall entrances, same thing, boats are going to come and go.

Simply common decency would suffice but I am sure both boaters and shore fishos mix this up at times.

As I first stated if your dodging boats then time to find a spot with a bit of serenity.

my 2c only

Dan

nathank
19-01-2013, 02:46 PM
Depends on the scenario.
Was trolling at 1770 once about 100m from the rocks and some goose lobs a lure directly in my path (good cast) and then proceeds to start waving his arms for me to go around.
Must have been a high speed lure because he got it back in pretty quick ;)
Sure I could have moved out to 200 or more meters, but I was where the bait was showing.
If he'd been floating a bait out then maybe a different story.

The catwalk (1770) rocks is an LBG mecca and no one floats baits out because of the sharks.. Im a boatie these days but spent 10years purely LBG fishing. surely if guys are spinning the rocks you dont need to troll the same spot?

MangroveZac
19-01-2013, 08:50 PM
Aussie I'm of the same opinion. First in best dressed. There are of course some exceptions though and people should use a little common sence and courteousy.

Owen
19-01-2013, 09:53 PM
The catwalk (1770) rocks is an LBG mecca and no one floats baits out because of the sharks.. Im a boatie these days but spent 10years purely LBG fishing. surely if guys are spinning the rocks you dont need to troll the same spot?

Or perhaps old mate could have waited 2 minutes till I trolled past before slinging his lure out?
I was there first and as I said, I was fishing where I reckoned the fish were.
If he wants to throw a lure across my bow I'll cut the bastard off.
If there'd been guys spinning when I got there I'd have moved out.

macka17
19-01-2013, 10:41 PM
Hi.

When I'm in boat. Trolling or spinning. If there are blokes on the bank\rocks etc.
Regardless of the fish in area. I'll go elsewhere.

Way I look at it.
I can move easily. They sorta stuck for choice, so I have a much greater range of fishing choices

Plus I was a Rock fisherman for 40 odd yrs and know the feeling of bloody boats there when trying to lob one out after spending 20\30 minutes climbing about to get there.
They twist their wrist. They gone. Not you.

Think about it. There's two sides to everything....

Regards

fairpractice
20-01-2013, 07:32 AM
HI. To extend the discussion , how does the bloke wanting to come into a boat ramp pontoon cope with 4 or so people with lines everewhere?
Happened to me at nudgee ramp which is clearly marked no fishing/mooring etc. Stripped about 100 m of 50lb e/bay braid off one rod and ther rest just kept fishing. Perhaps we need signs in a dozen asian languages.
Common sense would be to wind in and continue illegal fishing later. no way.. cheers john

tunaticer
20-01-2013, 07:33 AM
I give all other fishos a wide berth, be they bank or boaters. I can not say that is reciprocated that well though.

If only the damn skiers and jet skiers would play the game correctly. I swear that some of those boats are shotgun fodder.

NAGG
20-01-2013, 07:35 AM
Courtesy & common sense should determine who has right of way ....... Anyone fishing off a jetty or boat ramp needs to give way to the boatie.
If a boatie is fishing near the rocks which are frequented by fishoes - then the boatie needs to keep well clear ..... I've seen two land based marlin cut off by boaties during my LBG days. If the boatie is there first then the landbased guys need to consider their option.
If both boaties and landbased guys are fishing say a breakwall - then the boatie should adjust his drift when he encounters the landbased guys.
Any time a boatie is drift fishing - I believe within reason that it is his responsibility to adjust his drift (you cant claim a whole waterway)

Chris

macka17
20-01-2013, 01:33 PM
I give all other fishos a wide berth, be they bank or boaters. I can not say that is reciprocated that well though.

If only the damn skiers and jet skiers would play the game correctly. I swear that some of those boats are shotgun fodder.

Not shotgun mate.
They used to zip around out yachts when anchored up in some bays.

Drop an empty stubby or longneck or two just in front of them. They soon find somewhere else to play.
Works real good. and makes a hell of a bang....