PDA

View Full Version : Ballina Bar...as bad as they say?

paullee
18-01-2013, 03:50 PM
Hi all been trying to book a holiday and am thinking about sth Ballina. Just googled Ballina Bar and there are some newspaper articles about how bad it is and that it needs dredging and has done for years. Can anyone tell me what it is like and is it any better or worse than the Tweed bar? Also can anyone tell me how far by boat from Wardell to the Bar? Thanks in advance for any help i need to get a place sorted asap.

rexwatto
18-01-2013, 04:15 PM
Mate if you Launch in Wardell - assuming you have something 4-5+ - it'll take you 15 minutes to get to Ballina, around 20 to get to the river mouth. You'd probably be best to drive over to Ballina via Wardell bridge and use a boat ramp in Ballina.
Now, the bar : it's not the best, but like any bar you should spend time watching other blokes head out and note their path. strongly advise you to not even consider going out if it's crook weather. Bring your crab pots!

rexwatto
18-01-2013, 04:16 PM
*sorry, 4-5 metres +

paullee
18-01-2013, 04:58 PM
Mate if you Launch in Wardell - assuming you have something 4-5+ - it'll take you 15 minutes to get to Ballina, around 20 to get to the river mouth. You'd probably be best to drive over to Ballina via Wardell bridge and use a boat ramp in Ballina.
Now, the bar : it's not the best, but like any bar you should spend time watching other blokes head out and note their path. strongly advise you to not even consider going out if it's crook weather. Bring your crab pots!

Thanks for the reply i am in 2 minds what to do...$800 for a house for a week and an unknown bar crossing im thinkin about stayin on the Goldy (If only females thought like males!)

Lancair
18-01-2013, 07:04 PM
$800 a week for a house in Wardell ? WOW!

Wardell ramp is usable but no pontoons or beach (iirc) so not an ideal choice and although the river trip wouldnt take long, Id still drive to Ballina and use the main ramp at Fishery Creek. I launch there to go fish at wardell area so . . .

Yes Ballina bar deserves care and consideration. Its no seaway thats for sure. All good tips from rexwatto.

Id go to Coffs before the Goldy.

Lancair

paullee
19-01-2013, 06:55 AM
Thanks for the replies....its looking cheaper to go to Evans Head....Can anyone tell me what the bar there is like? I know they can all play up on their day but if you had a choice would u go Ballina bar or Evans Head bar?

rexwatto
19-01-2013, 07:22 AM
The Evans bar is shallow, that's the only issue there - but in my opinion I think it's perhaps a bit safer than Ballina. I grew up fishing offshore from Evans, if you venture down there stick to the left hand side (Close to North Wall) when crossing the bar both ways. Be extremely careful if it's low tide when you're crossing the bar.
Evans if a fantastic town - should be mackerel sniffing around outside from now on (they're getting a couple at Lennox as I type). Were a few Dollies getting landed at xmas time. Good luck!

fandtm666
19-01-2013, 07:51 AM
if the women dont want to go to the goldy then there is always tweed and a better bar than balina and evans

finga
19-01-2013, 08:00 AM
The Evans bar is shallow, that's the only issue there - but in my opinion I think it's perhaps a bit safer than Ballina. I grew up fishing offshore from Evans, if you venture down there stick to the left hand side (Close to North Wall) when crossing the bar both ways. Be extremely careful if it's low tide when you're crossing the bar.
Evans if a fantastic town - should be mackerel sniffing around outside from now on (they're getting a couple at Lennox as I type). Were a few Dollies getting landed at xmas time. Good luck!
And avoid crossing on the runout tide.

Go up to the rescue mob and have a yarn with them and have a good look at the bar from there for a while.
Try and watch people going in and out.
There can be some good fishing close in at Evans. Become friendly with the young fella at the bait shop for up to date 'gossip'.
If the bar crossing is not possible then simply head towards a river and fill in some time.
The Evans river is OK and as Lancair and Rex have suggested.....try the Richmond and take your crab pots.
Personally I prefer the Evans bar over Ballina.

And enjoy your holiday :)

PS: if your from Queensland note the different boating (especially lifejackets) and fishing laws in NSW.

Knotpretty
19-01-2013, 08:16 AM
Paullee there is a small launching area a sth ballina near the park. Evans is a great place to holiday the bar can be tricky but is a lot shorter than ballina to cross. My preference to holiday is the ballina central park good big cabins ramp and cleaning facilities across the road pool and water slides across the road shops a short stroll away great take away around the corner very reasonable tariffs. Well worth looking at. If you come down and need some marks pm me knotprettty.