PDA

View Full Version : bow mount setups

wadey19
18-01-2013, 08:52 AM
gday blokes,
Im the proud owner of a brand new clark 4.85 dominator with a 75 merc optimax.what im wondering is if you can get away with a 55lb bow mount on this size of boat.when its fueled and loaded up with gear it would be roughly a ton.Im really looking to save cost and not have to run two more batteries on a 80lb setup.Im after advice and pictures of peoples setups ect.Also can you get a system that will charge the 12v deep cycle off the outboard?
cheers
wadey

Floating Rib
18-01-2013, 09:31 AM
Mate, just had a look at your boat on the web, great looking bit of gear, for some reference i had a 55lb bow watersnake on a 4.2 dory with a 30hp, floors etc, i realise no where near as heavy as yours but it flew along on the electric, guess it depends on what speed you need out of it, definately marine dc to dc chargers available but would depend on the output of your opti and what you are currently supplying(does boat have dual batts already)
id be more inclined to fit a dual batt system(blue sea systems have nice gear and great info on their website) with the second batt being dual purpose start/deep cycle(105amp hour would run my electric fine), it will then charge automatically when needed through the dual batt rectifier, you can then isolate your start batt when using the electric(whilst still running sounder etc from start batt), maybe fit an extension with anderson plug connections half way along the boat from the deep cycle and then run your electric leads back to that point when needed. Just my thoughts, im sure others will have more/different ideas, have fun with the boat.
Cheers
Mick

wadey19
18-01-2013, 09:44 AM
cheers mick great reply, i really just want the ability to slow troll in creeks and control my drift when offshore.bugger all speed is need.the minn kota website suggests i would be ok with a 55lb but we shall see.ill have a look at those battery setups.thanks again.
wadey

propdinger
18-01-2013, 10:07 AM
i have a minn kota 55lb on a 5.2mtr seajay c/c and it works fine i too tried to keep the weight down so went 55lb and im surprised how well it holds in most currents. i love the spot lock just hit the anchor button and it holds you in the spot or record a ledge you want to fish and just hit start and fish the ledge and it drives for you.i have the dc to dc charger from redarc and its the best thing never had to charge the battery at home yet but i do a fair distance to my spots and home again

wadey19
18-01-2013, 10:13 AM
thats good news mate.thanks very much.looks like i better warm the bank account up.