PDA

View Full Version : Beginner Advice

gford001
17-01-2013, 12:44 PM
OK, so first post, will try not to look too clueless......
Should have my first boat within a day or 2, and keen to get fishing on Moreton Bay.
The advice isn't about boat selection (I have my mate onto it, he knows boats). But it will be a decent half cabin, capable of Moreton Bay, and when I have more of a clue, some offshore....
Basically I am after some advice on starter fishing gear. I have some random rods bought over the years for fishing in the rivers and from mates tinnies, but I have no idea what you need for the big stuff in the bay.
Never caught anything over about a foot, so there you go. Love fishing, love eating fish and keen to have a go at something bigger.
Anyone have some ideas about some starter gear to get into the bay with the family and catch some fish? I know different types of fish require different setups, but what do you guys think would be a good place to start, something to build upon?
Rods? Line? Tackle?
Pretty ambiguous question I am afraid, but to be honest I have no idea where to start, did some reading and it seems pretty complicated, and so many different opinions. If I can get a couple decent rods, selection of tackle and line, then I can figure out what works and go from there. Don't want to go buying the wrong stuff.

Cheers
Glen

STUIE63
17-01-2013, 12:49 PM
Have you read Charlie's thread it made a lot of sense to me http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?162997-How-to-catch-a-feed-of-fish-in-Moreton-Bay-(bait-fishing)

gford001
17-01-2013, 12:54 PM
Cheers mate, will check it out.

gford001
17-01-2013, 12:55 PM
Yeah, thats perfect :)

Funchy
17-01-2013, 04:52 PM
Good luck with it all Glen, make sure you post up some reports so we see how you go.

Oh, and welcome to the site :thumbsup:

Todddo
17-01-2013, 05:24 PM
Yeah good luck mate!
The thing I love about the bay is fishing light. Fishing 6-10lb for snapper is more exciting to me that using 30lb. Nothings beats the sounds of a spooling reel :D

gford001
21-01-2013, 07:43 PM
Thanks for the help guys, and the warm welcomes.
Still no boat :-(
Every one I get excited about sells literally a couple of hours before I'm organised to go and have a look at it.
Pretty sure someone is messing with me.

Scalem
21-01-2013, 08:31 PM
Advice on a Forum is free and you are off to a good start. You can get onto someone like Moreton Bay Charter which will be the best money you can spend and have a great day of learning, they know their stuff.

Scalem