PDA

View Full Version : A piece of ally and no welder

kind_cir
16-01-2013, 02:03 PM
So I had this piece od Ally that was 4 meters long 100w x 6mm thick, but I had no ally welder. So this is what I have made out of most of it.

An engine Jack plate

Tool holder

Side pocket

Sounder holder (Front or rear view, just give it a kick)

Oh and I had a little help from a drill, angle grinder and pop rivet gun.

Here's some pics.

johncar
16-01-2013, 05:46 PM
I would say that you made great use out of that bit of ally plate and sometimes rivets are best way to go as well, looks good. Good you made your sounder bracket swing away, be careful of that knife blade though, could be nasty if you lost balance fell against it of kicked it like crazy things happen in boats at times...

kind_cir
16-01-2013, 05:55 PM
I would say that you made great use out of that bit of ally plate and sometimes rivets are best way to go as well, looks good. Good you made your sounder bracket swing away, be careful of that knife blade though, could be nasty if you lost balance fell against it of kicked it like crazy things happen in boats at times...

I'm super happy with the sounder mount, it is so easy to view at either end of the boat.

I'm not real worried about that knife as it is blunt as and mearly just for show. Them lip grippers on the other hand, you wouldn't want them to grab you in the wrong spot.

May have to name the boat "River ting" or "Billet"

netmaker
16-01-2013, 06:07 PM
good show kind cir. and what are your plans for the remainder?

Dignity
16-01-2013, 06:36 PM
nice use of stuff just lying around kind_cir, I noticed you jacked up your outboard about 50 cms, was it an extra long shaft merc by any chance as I have one also and it needs to be raised as it is already at the highest possible without modifications, either that or buy a new notor which I am also considering.

kind_cir
16-01-2013, 07:07 PM
good show kind cir. and what are your plans for the remainder?

I got about a meter length left, so I am going to make some throwing stars, to throw at those who speed past real close and throw up wash, whilst i'm at anchor.

Or I may make some horizontal rod racks.

kind_cir
16-01-2013, 07:13 PM
nice use of stuff just lying around kind_cir, I noticed you jacked up your outboard about 50 cms, was it an extra long shaft merc by any chance as I have one also and it needs to be raised as it is already at the highest possible without modifications, either that or buy a new notor which I am also considering.

50 cms, ha, now that would be silly. I only went up 50mm to get better performance out of the long shaft 30hp Suzuki. It was ok where it was, only a little hard to steer, as the cav plate was 20 mm lower than the bottom of the boat. Now I can top it out at 49.7 kmh, which is an aprox 5 kmh better.

cormorant
16-01-2013, 09:40 PM
I vote the throwing stars or even a disc in your top hat.

Dignity
17-01-2013, 11:49 AM
forget the throwing stars, they will be too light to be effective

I need to raise my motor alsso as it sits at least 20 mm or more too low and has to work too hard, I had a mate down from Darwin with the same boat and same motor but just a long shaft and when we started to compare how much fuel he uses - it was mostly guestimate based on our trips on the Daly River _ there was a huge difference in usage.

Si
17-01-2013, 01:31 PM
So I had this piece od Ally that was 4 meters long 100w x 6mm thick, but I had no ally welder. So this is what I have made out of most of it.

An engine Jack plate

Tool holder

Side pocket

Sounder holder (Front or rear view, just give it a kick)

Oh and I had a little help from a drill, angle grinder and pop rivet gun.

Here's some pics.

Where's the back scratcher?