PDA

View Full Version : 175 suzuki 2 fat

hoga
15-01-2013, 05:19 AM
after fitting the new motor to the haines huter 620 sf you can notice the extra weight not so mutch at normal crusing speed but in bad weather when at slower speeds would foil or tabs help if so what ones i think the motor could go up one hole dont know if this would help also thanks brian

uripper
15-01-2013, 06:34 AM
hoga

I have recently acquired a Haines Hunter 650 with a Johnson/Suzuki 200.

I have had the engine raised one hole as I felt it was "bogging" even at cruise speed and could only manage 5500 rpm at WOT.

That improved things are little but there is still a lot of water travelling over the cavitation plate at cruise speed pics below.

My workshop (Jeffers marine) advise against raising the motor any further for fear of generating excess cavitation.

The other handling issue I have is that it has very poor steering at low speed around the marina and particularly when trying to line up the trailer at the ramp even with the motor fully trimmed in. It is a case of massive understeer and having to anticipate 10 seconds ahead.

I have purchased a PermaTrim and will have it fitted next week or so. I have had one before and was very happy with it . It generated lift, higher top speed and better handling at low speed.

There are lots of scare stories around concerning dangerous handling when sharp turning with at high speeds. If you drive a boat like a maniac then it is reasonable to expect the unexpected.

Please PM me with your contact details so we can stay in touch and compare notes.

Mal

Jarrah Jack
15-01-2013, 07:44 AM
From that photo the motor should be raised. The cav plate should be above the water. Whats dangerous with foils is that with breaking waves in a following sea they can end up steering the boat causing broaching. Murf had something like that happen recently and has taken his foil off. Deep Vee boats benefit from tabs and there aren't any negative effects once you learn how to use them.

murf
15-01-2013, 11:20 AM
yep yep make sure if you have a foil/wing/permatrim that you have it trimmed level with the bottom of boat in bad conditions, if you trim it out to give bow lift and a wave starts pushing you you will end up doing a power turn and that is a bit unnerving in big seas a long way from home or coming through breaking swells on a beach launch

to be honest the permatrim did not impress me at all on my deep V 16' boat (there must be applications where they work a treat though), yes it did allow me to get the bow down going into 20knot + winds with big seas but you had to trim it right in to achieve this and that is not an ideal trim to be in. I had to drop the motor a hole to try and stop the vortexing noise with the Permatrim on

just been doing some river tests now that the permatrim is off and the boat now levels of much quicker and the trim is heaps different now I have the motor back up to its original hole (cav plate is 65mm I think from memory above the keel of boat)

been looking at Lenco trim tabs as my boat leans into the wind big time with the 1/2 cab and Bimini with clears but because I dry retrieve my boat off the beach and don't have the cash lying around I am still looking haha

cheers Murf

Chimo
15-01-2013, 01:49 PM
Murf

You will like Lencos when you fit them. I have the basic no light set and they are fine with out LEDs IMHO

C
C

Deanom
15-01-2013, 02:26 PM
Uripper,
I had a similar understeer problem on my Victory. Ended up replacing the 3 blade propellor with a 4 blade propellor with a smaller pitch and bigger diameter and the steering problem has almost vanished. Played with the motor height and raising it increased the low speed steering problems, but adding trim tabs helped stabilise it a little. Biggest help for me was the new prop.
Regards,

JB sniper
15-01-2013, 07:34 PM
Hey Brian, just about to put that same donk on my v19r just curious what your old motor was and how much more the Suzi weighs, the change of ride is the one reason I was originally considering a two stroke. Is the change in your ride much different.

Cheers JB

champion
15-01-2013, 07:40 PM
URIPPER

I've had 2 haines hunters,one with tabs and other without,they make a huge difference,being a deep v hull the haines needs them,
you wont regret putting them on. Cheers

Wayne_Red
15-01-2013, 08:33 PM
Don't worry about putting on a permatrim. Put tabs on and don't look back, best thing you could fit to a bigger boat. Dragging its bum a bit them put them down, extra weight on one side trim it flat, wind side on and the boat leaning into the wind trim back level. Really mate once you have had them you will never go back. The boat will perform that much better with them you will wonder why it never had them. QL's IMO
Wayne

propdinger
16-01-2013, 08:24 AM
i had a haines sig 650f with a 200hp suzi and without tabs it would of been a pig. it always sat bum heavy but i bought the motor about 1 year before the 175hp came out or i would have got that. I had to learn to use the tabs at first but once i got the hang of it even in rough weather you could plane slower and still get a good ride.

hoga
17-01-2013, 07:01 PM
jb happy with ride cant fault motor only notice weight differance at low planing speeds would like to fit trim tabs but shape of transom on the 620 sf makes fitting a real pain