PDA

View Full Version : setting up a trailer for towing

truth stretcher
13-01-2013, 11:41 AM
Hi all,
Have just lifted my tow vehicle and am in the process of setting the ball height on the towbar.
Ive heard a lot of differing opinions on what height the drawbar should be .
Some say the trailer should be level? others have told me the trailer should have a slight angle down towards the vehicles towbar (so under heavy braking it doesn't try to lift the back of the vehicle up?).
Can anyone offer me some advice on what is the proper or their preferred way to have the ball on the tow vehicle set.
The boat is a 6.1 plate boat and the tow vehicle is a colorado.

Gon Fishun
13-01-2013, 12:25 PM
Having raised the height of the tow vehicle has already altered the handling characteristics.
But close as level would be good and practical.

GBC
13-01-2013, 01:50 PM
Keep the trailer pretty level once the vehicle is loaded up with whatever you put in it whilst towing, and the weight of the trailer on the ball.

dnej
13-01-2013, 03:10 PM
http://www.exploroz.com/images/Pages/20353__TN180x150.jpg?_32276 (http://www.exploroz.com/images/Pages/20353__TN800x600.jpg?_32276)

Level as possible. There are various heights available to achieve this
David

tunaticer
13-01-2013, 05:19 PM
Whilst maintaining a level attitude, the cars towball should be carrying about 100kgs ball weight minimum I think. Anything lighter and the axle of the trailer is too far forward and you will find the trailer pitching the rear of your tow vehicle up and down as the balance of the bmt flicks either side of it's balance point. Much better to be ball heavy than ball light.

dnej
14-01-2013, 10:36 PM
about 10 percent of the weight you are towing, should be on the ball. You can weigh this with bathroom scales, and a length of timber under the coupling, resting on the scales, will give you the result.
David

macka17
19-01-2013, 11:03 PM
Hi.

My Stacer 5.25 Bowrider 90 opti.

I just stripped, Blasted, primed and painted New rollers\pins, Skids, Bearings etc.

Adjustable single axle frame under rails. With Full 110ltr tank and all gear on. Weight set at 130kg on Drawbar.
and the Tow ball height itself. adjusted so boat trailer frame is Slightly down at rear Behind a Patrol with 2 in lift...
Which puts boat bows up but plenty of weight on front.
Can tow at 120 plus. and don't know it's on the back. Brakes evenly too in a crash stop.

My 6.25mtr near 3 ton tandem suspension, rear set system caravan, is set with ball weight of 350ishlbs on Ball.
Sounds a lot. But tracks true and level. even when swerving at around 110kms dodging big unexpected potholes in road.

Do NOT have a "balanced" weight drawbar. It's very dangerous specially if travelling at any speed and shit hits the fan.
Oh I've driven Semi;s, wagon and drags, and Multi's a lot of my life too.Mainly in the winter in Europe and Canada.
So I've had a little practice.

BUT Most important of all B4 any balancing of trailer.
Make sure your boat load is spread evenly. Not all in one spot front or rear.
Have fun.

Oh. And if you carry a spare fuel can or two or water. for long trips. Up front.
Remember to add that to drawbar weight. and be careful to check combined with allowable weight allowed for your vehicle. Trailer axles.. Combined. and drawbar.
It's a legal requirement now and they do tend to check some of us. Especially the bigger. heavy looking ones.