PDA

View Full Version : Alfa Romeo hatch backs

MudRiverDan
10-01-2013, 06:10 PM
My brother is looking for a car about $7000.00 max (city runner and moderate highway travel but not much -2500cc max).

I have been looking at a few for him and there are a lot of Astras and similar cars to that.
I don't like the look of them.

Though I have seen a few Alfa Romeo hatch backs and they look ok (he is a city guy mostly).

I am just wondering, can any mechanic work on them and are parts or maintenance an issue?

You know like being a European car do they have price issues with upkeep?

Anyone ever had any experience with them?

Dan

Swanie1975
10-01-2013, 06:41 PM
With that sort of budget I personally would steer clear of the European built vehicles for a few reasons. The main one is they generally don't age too well (unless babied and cared for really well). At work we find the plastics age and become brittle, and electrical stuff can become a real nightmare.

If buying new I'd say yeh go for it but unless he either likes working on cars or has loads of dosh to pour into maintaining a vehicle my advice would be to go Japanese in that price range. Loads of good buys in the manual hatch type of vehicle - just make sure it's not an interstate repaired/flooded vehicle.

I still judge the car (or boat etc) by talking to the owner and how they look after things they own in general. A good inspection is worth it's weight in gold.

Cheers Ryan

Tickleish
11-01-2013, 03:38 PM
I'd hate to agree with my mate Swanie but he's on the money.

Steer clear and get a car toyota strolla or similar.

pipifin
11-01-2013, 04:05 PM
Yeah the euro car parts are readily available, but can get exxy.... even the euro holdens/opels.... Zafira, Astra etc.

pipifin
11-01-2013, 04:11 PM
Could probably pick up a 5 or 6 year old focus with under 100k on the clock for around that..... having said that... I know nothing about the Focus and the downside is they are a Ford.

wayno60
11-01-2013, 04:52 PM
My Ex use to work for Alfa Romeo here on the Gold Coast and the prices of parts where unreal...

as said stick to the yotas..... go for ever and way cheaper on parts.

MudRiverDan
11-01-2013, 05:05 PM
Well thanks for the replies, due to the info here we steered clear of the euro cars.
Been looking for a while and eventually found a nice clean Mazda Protege 323 (2002 model) for $5500.00.
16 valve dual cam 1.6 l.

Was a car yard so paid car yard prices, though we just where not having any luck in the private sales and it was worth it just to get him mobile, and the car ticked all the right boxes for once.

Very tidy interior, air con good, stereo good, body straight, good economy and will do the bro very nicely to get around in.

The 1.6 is no power house, but he can go for power when he upgrades later on and is earning better coin.

All he had before was a old loaner work van on weekends.

Cheers

Dan

MudRiverDan
12-01-2013, 06:45 AM
I would have to say there are some real shonky private deals going, stuff like
- advertising the car and its not even ready for sale (great time wasters)
- selling the car 2000km before it is up for a $1200.00 timing belt service
- selling cars for upwards of $6000.00 with interiors that look like the dog has been living in it.

But my all time favorite would have to go to used car dealers trying to flog off a car worth $4000.00 for $8000.00 and when you get in the car their is a layer of
black grime and soot throughout the vehicle, similar to the layers of black grime and soot outside the vehicle.
Cant believe how many pros try to sell cars upwards of 5k and its filthy, not sure what the idea of that is.

In saying that there are some good dealers that sell cars around the $6k mark in nice condition, you just have to look very hard.

Dan

4x4frog
16-01-2013, 09:46 AM
Found this thread too late to have my opinion on what to get.

A euro in that price bracket is actually good value for money as they depreciate very rapidly sadly enough.

I've owned French, Italian and Swede vehicles most of my driving time and found them fair on parts.
You have to do a bit of research but parts these daays are on par with the Jap/korean etc actually.
Filters and even a/c pumps are the same if not cheaper.
The inter-webs have made buying parts far easier.

Good buy on the Mazda though.
Hope he got a cleaner windscreen than the Twat p-plater who rear ended my Renault in December....Idiot never even saw me :-(